[ABRC] MSPNPC Mirin & Dr Blueheart: The Scientist

raj.blueheart

Jun 25, 2016, 9:35:50 AM6/25/16
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Invicta

(OOC: There’s so much going on that it’s a little confusing, especially having to switch perspectives when simming for Blueheart and Mirin. If I missed any tags or stepped on anyone’s toes, please forgive me. Also, this is long.)

((Adovan Biomedical Research Center))

Rosalee: It doesn't hurt to hear other opinions. Sometimes someone sees something the others don't.

::Dr Blueheart smiled at the other doctor’s succinct interpretation of his verbose description.::

Moonsong: While all of that is something of a simplification, the process of communication… particularly when you consider the number of species and culture defined methods of communication, it has evolved into an efficient pattern of behavior that works. ::raising an eyebrow at Raj:: Most of the time.

::As a former counselor himself, Raj intentionally half-suppressed a grin and nodded subtly in agreement.::

Kisax: Maybe in your Federation. If we had to abide by those protocols, I'm sure we'll have difficulties. Our whole world operates in a stablished way that has proven to be the most effective and with less conflict.

Rosalee: If you don't mind my asking. How does it work for you? Does only the senior make the decisions?

Kisax: Yes. The Saintisama is the authority in what refers to making decisions. In our case, we speak privately before addressing an issue, more if there's someone involved, this way we avoid any conflict in front of the interested individual and that brings confidence, what helps in going on with the stablished protocol for the situation.

Blueheart: ::nodding:: You bring up a valid point. I would agree that in certain, perhaps delicate or sensitive situations, that would be the best course of action to take. oO But not all the time, of course. The whole process might be laboriously time-consuming! Oo

Rosalee: I see. So how do you feel about that after hearing about how we do things?

Blueheart: ::turning from the doctor to the scientist:: oO This should be interesting! Oo

Kisax: I feel.. surprised, that you've evolved so much with such a distracting method. I'm quite confident with what have been proved to work. About dealing with unexpected situations, you'll have to ask my Saintisama as I don't know the protocol of the 'confluences'

Blueheart: ::once again suppressing a grin:: oO Maybe we should rename the Federation to The Confluence. Oo

::By now they had arrived outside the doors to the conference room, and joined LtCmdr Core and the chief scientist Gof Mirin.::

Mirin: I see that we are getting well acquainted with each other. ::She smiled, pleased with the mingling of the two species up till that time.::

Core: response

Moonsong: I am looking forward to hear what you have to tell us, Mirin.

Mirin: As I am looking forward to telling all of you, counselor.

Core/Rosalee: response

Moonsong: I mean no offense with my question, but there is one thing I do think we need to know.

Mirin: No offense shall be taken. ::She intentionally paused for several seconds.:: And I think I know what your question is. ::She smiled, indicating that she was ready and willing to answer it.::

Core/Rosalee: response

Moonsong: What exactly is this deviance your.. Ancestors were trying to eradicate? Is it some sort of physical… difference such as skin color?

Rosalee: Or maybe a way of thinking? ::looking to Gof Mirin::

Mirin: ::shaking her head before answering, bluntly:: The ability to read the thoughts of others. ::quickly adding:: Come, let’s speak of this inside.

((Conference Room, ABRC))

::She held the doors open for everyone to enter, before closing them behind her. Inside the spacious conference room, in its center, was a large, round, dark-hued marble table with chairs encircling it. Gof motioned for everyone to take their seats around the table. The room was dimly lit, except for a bright cone of light which shone down from the vaulted ceiling onto the center of the table.

Raj hardly noticed the ambience of the room, mildly stunned by the scientist’s revelation. Telepathy. Thousands of people were killed for this ability. He forced himself to look at this from the Adovans’ perspective, specifically, from their perspective of three hundred years ago. He began to realize, albeit not entirely, how such an ability would terrify the rest of the non-telepathic population.::

Moonsong:  I see….

::Gof stared blankly at the shocked faces around her and decided to wait for the others to voice their questions and concerns following her answer, and was surprised when it was none other than her own colleague who started speaking first. Gof raised an eyebrow, more out of curiosity than annoyance.::

Kisax: That deviance proved to be a disturbance to our people, it led to a civil war, ... Now the problem is gone, but I wondered what would have happened if we haven't cleaned up that difference and it had spread after our ancestors deployed the system. Maybe we'll all be dead now, victims of our own doing.

Dickens: Probably you'll have doubled your efforts to get rid of that abomination or asked for help sooner.

Blueheart: I’m glad you’ve come to realize the errors of the past and are reaching out to us for assistance.

Core/Moonsong: response

Kisax: I just hope that your intervention is for good and that your presence doesn't ignite anything dangerous, either out there or down here.

Blueheart: ::turning his head sharply towards Kisax:: Hmm. Why would you say that? We can’t make any progress if there’s still some amount of distrust between us. ::pause:: Perhaps we should address this issue before working together on the real reason why we’re all here.

Dickens: We're not the dangerous people here. Your ancestors and those machines in space are.

Core/Moonsong: response

::Gof Mirin stood up gracefully from her seat but shot a sharp glance at Syvelene.::

Kisax: I'm sorry Saintisama. ::She bowed her head and took a step back.::

Mirin: This conference room can make one feel claustrophobic. Luckily the main laboratory is just behind that door. ::gesturing:: Shall we?

((Main Laboratory, ABRC))

::The lab was a beehive of activity. It was also colorfully distracting that Raj found it hard to focus on the sights and sounds of the many experiments running simultaneously and the conversation going on amongst them.::

Dickens: Saintisama, is there anyone who have expressed any doubt about destroying that threat? Any willing to keep it stored or to maintain a sample for further studies of what your people did long time ago?

Mirin: None that I know of. As per the Arc’s request, we have destroyed all biological samples in all of our labs. The only remaining viable ones lie inside the dormant drones. All that you’ll find in our labs are digitized models of the weaponized retrovirus.

Dickens: I understand.

Blueheart: We should take a look at those digital models, look for flaws in the DNA strands.. gaps in the amino acid sequences.. ::His rambling voice grew softer by the minute as his mind spun wildly with ideas and thoughts.::

Core/Moonsong/Kisax: response

Rosalee: So is there a threat we need to be aware of?

Mirin: The threat lies in the drones which still contain the viable samples of the retrovirus. ::She smiled at the young doctor’s question, a sad smile, before adding.:: The biological weapon that our forefathers created wasn’t perfect, wasn’t precise, in that it didn’t just target the Mindreader Gene sequence. Contiguous genetic sequences were also affected. Biosimilar molecules were also affected. It was only in Phases 3 and 4 of the Cleansing Initiative that the weapon was perfected, striking only that specific genetic code without resulting in extensive collateral damage.

Blueheart: ::clearing his throat which suddenly felt parched:: I’m afraid to ask but.. what sort of collateral damage are we talking about?

Mirin: When adjacent genetic codes were affected, it resulted in.. mutations.

Blueheart: Yes, I’m a doctor, I know. ::He realized a tad late that he had allowed anger to seep into his words. He chided himself for it.:: What kind of mutations?

Mirin: Those who survived Phases 1 and 2 were left mad, suicidal, demented, psychopathic.. rendered non-functional, both as individuals and as members of society. ::Her voice trailed off.:: A few developed fatal cardiac and respiratory abnormalities and died shortly after receiving the test doses. Many developed tumors six months down the road. And ALL passed down these mutations to subsequent generations.

::There, she had said it. She had said it frankly and to the point. She wondered if she was a heartless and stone-cold machine for saying it the way she did.

No, she told herself. She was a scientist.::

Dickens/Moonsong/Rosalee/Core/Kisax: response

TBC/TAG

Captain Raj Blueheart

Chief Medical Officer

USS Invicta