[I-Comp/A-APR] Ens. Ryan King: Parsing Alien Phraseology

Ryan King

Jun 21, 2016, 10:14:00 AM6/21/16
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((U.S.S. Compass))

::The Compass had taken off gracefully from the Invicta shuttlebay and glided to the rendezvous point. The calm and quiet of space helped to conceal the excitement Ryan felt as he tried to focus on the tasks at hand. The feeling of anticipation would not subside and he knew that was only natural but it irritated him nonetheless. Giving his mind license to wander, he thought for a moment of the briefing his team had just conducted.::

::He had asked the most pressing questions that he felt were answerable with the given information they had available to them. But he also knew he had refrained from asking many more questions in the interests of time and the need to get on with the mission. Though he hoped his anxiety was a sign of first mission jitters, he couldn’t help shaking the feeling that much more difficult challenges were ahead.::

::Ryan’s attention refocused on the ship as it shook slightly. The Compass breached Adova’s atmosphere without much additional strain and a few minutes later he found himself looking across a great expanse of water. The ocean held only one notable landmass from where he was sitting, a tiny island, no more the size of the state of Rhode Island on Earth.::

King: oO It’s quiet. Far too quiet in here. Oo

::For a moment he considered asking his companions if they wanted some music as they traveled. They were after all a traveling band of three females and two males.::

King: oO Perhaps Fleetwood Mac is in order. Oo

::Ryan rolled his eyes at himself and shook off the thought.::

((Adova: Arc's Personal Residence))

Kells: Well met, Arc of the World. I am Fleet Captain Aron Kells of the Federation Starfleet, and please allow me to present Lieutenant Commander Rune Jolara, Lieutenant Commander T'Lea, Ensign Ryan King, and Ensign Ceilidh Riverview.

::Ryan nodded stoically as he rested his arms comfortably at his sides. He pretended not to notice the Captain’s brief struggle with the other Ensign’s first name and instead kept his mind squarely on the phaser in his side holster. These moments were tense for any Starfleet officer but especially so for those entrusted with the duty of defending their comrades from hostilities. He kept his eyes moving from one Adovan to the other, noting the six digits on their hands, the curious trilobes and the oddly soothing hue of their eye coloration, which seemed to shift colors depending on where light was hitting them. One encouraging sign he noted, there were no guards with them.::

Nen Mur Diiv: Well met, Fleet Captain, and your officers. My Chief of Staff and closest confidante, Ila Ker Raav. ::beat:: Your timing is quite good.

Nen Mur Diiv: You are my guests and I will treat you as such. Know, however, that my home is a place of peace. ::beat:: I wish to speak with all of your in some detail about your Federation and how it may help Adova, but for now, please accompany Ila and I: Because we would show you the solution we have evolved for our world's lasting peace and prosperity.

::Raising an eyebrow at the last sentence, Ryan turned to look at Captain Kells.::

Kells: We will be happy to see whatever you have to show, Arc.

Nen Mur Diiv: Then, please, follow me.

Ila Ker Raav: Response

::Ryan kept his eyes ahead as the Adovans kept pace a few feet ahead of the group. The surroundings seemed straightforward enough. A large mansion on a remote island, made largely of what appeared to be native timber as well as a natural canopy of flora and fauna for a rooftop. The space was quite beautiful.::

Kells: Observations and initial thoughts?

King: ::Speaking softly:: They are eager for our help. However, I find something off in their delivery. The Arc uses peace in a fashion I find very odd. They wish to show us a solution they have ‘evolved’ for lasting peace? ::beat:: While it may be the universal translators awkwardness with phraseology, a historical comparison comes to my mind. Nazi Germany and it’s ‘final solution.’ A genocidal program against other humans that at the end of it was supposed to bring peace, prosperity and order - once everyone that was not like Hitler was gone.

Jolara / T’Lea / Riverview: Response

King: ::Softly:: I recognize I might be parsing alien phraseology. But you often hear the word peace as something that is worked toward, not evolved from a type of ‘solution.’

Jolara / T’Lea / Riverview: Response

Kells: So it struck you, too, that we're about to be shown the thing we're here to assist with.

::Ryan focused his attention ahead as they followed the Arc and her associate through the building. He had aired out his concerns and knew they would not necessarily be proven accurate. It was his nature and his job to consider the unsavory alternatives, to mistrust and find holes in the argument. Part of that was training and the other part his nature. He breathed in heavily as they entered an open lobby area and looked up toward the ceiling as natural light flooded the space through a sunroof high above. The room sparkled serenely as they moved to the right and up a spiral staircase etched into what appeared to be a rock surface. He studied the structure and shot a glance to his left to see open ocean. The structure itself was built, at least partially, on the rock face of the island.::

Jolara / T’Lea / Riverview: Response

King: ::Raising his voice to be heard:: Arc, your home is quite beautiful. ::beat:: May I ask, is this the historical home of your family or one connected to the position in which you are currently entrusted?

Nen Mur Diiv / Ila Ker Raav: Response.

King: I mean to ask who the ownership of the structure resides with?

Nen Mur Diiv / Ila Ker Raav: Response.

King: ::Nodding:: It is a most beautiful reflection of the artistry and ingenuity of your people.

::Though he couldn’t help but notice they were the only people on the island, as far as he could tell.::

Ensign Ryan King

Helmsman

U.S.S. Invicta

Author ID # G239201RK0