[S] JP: LtCmdr Core & Cmdr Rahman, "Adding a Personal Touch." (Part 1)

Deliera Jay

May 14, 2016, 7:39:51 PM5/14/16
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Lounge, USS Syracuse))

::When Angeline Loupaz stepped onto the tiny ship, she wondered just what she’d find her boss doing.::

::Well, after one stride and sudden stop once through the doors of the lounge later, Loupaz could officially say that Captain Rahman certainly wasn’t wrong in her belief that Core couldn’t keep his hands still.::

::A starship’s lounge was supposed to be an area where visitors could come and . . . well . . . *lounge* for the day. It was a new addition to the Saber class, really, since there was only ever going to be around 40 people aboard at a time. This room, however, looked like a bomb had exploded.::

::Tables and benches that had been bolted to the floor were now somehow stacked upon each other in a corner, various chairs and couches surrounding it. A PADD was sitting atop it, the words “Send to Ops AF1” practically *frowning* at her. The wall furthest away from her had had the displays torn down, the foot of it currently lined with what looked like recently installed holographic projectors.

::And there, currently on his hands and knees tearing up the floor with a laser cutter, was the bomb.::

Loupaz: Hey boss, I know you’re a “project manager” and all, but does that really give you permission to tear apart the Syracuse and redesign it however you like?

Core: Yep.

::The word was spoken with the butt of a heavy SG driver in his mouth, and he hadn’t bothered looking up from what he was doing. Instead, those Rodulan eyes were focused on tearing away the carpet from one of the floor paneling, then taking the driver and undoing two of the eight Waulky bolts holding it in place, and then the man shuffled back and started the process again.::

Loupaz: Dare I ask why you’re tearing apart the guest lounge?

Core: Syracuse doesn’t have the same facilities as the Invicta. Means if they want to get anything done, ::he grunted, pulling back the carpet again:: they’d have to come over to the Invicta every four hours, or build their own facilities.

::He took the driver and unscrewed more bolts before putting it back in his mouth to skirt backwards again with more of the carpet.::

Loupaz: So this is now a private lab?

::He allowed the driver to fall out of his mouth as he finally looked at her, eyes somewhat judgemental.::

Core: This is a Starfleet Corps of Engineers ship. Why in the Artist’s name did they decide to build a ship that doesn’t actually facilitate their engineers?

Loupaz: To inspire creativity?

Core:::gesturing around him:: Is this not creativity?

Loupaz: This is lounge-orial murder, that’s what this is.

Core: Great. You can be my accomplice - help me take up these up.

::With a roll of her eyes, the Petty Officer assisted her boss in ripping away the floor of what used to be a perfectly functional lounge. The holopads weren’t heavy - the Cardiff class had forced Starfleet designers to be more creative when it came to weight, else replacing the pads in Engineering on the Invicta would have been an anti-gravitational lifting nightmare every time they had to be replaced, repaired or upgraded. This worked marginally better.

::Work was going well, until they heard the voice of the Syracuse’s commanding officer.::

Rahman: Ahem.

::Both froze, Tristam cringing as he slowly turned to gaze at “Captain Rahman”.::

Core: It’s not what it looks like.

::She looked at Tristam and then at Petty Officer Loupaz before looking back at Tristam, her eyes fixed on him as she addressed the other woman.::

Rahman: Petty Officer, you know how to find your way back to Invicta, I trust?

Loupaz: Yes, ma’am.

::Without any argument or even a look back, almost as if she’d been caught with a hand in a cookie jar, Loupaz got up from her position next to Core and bolted out of the “lounge”.::

::Roshanara crossed her arms.::

Core: Okay, maybe it *is* what it looks like.

Rahman: Uh-huh. You want to tell me what the hell you’re doing to my ship?

Core: Syracuse is a Corps of Engineers ship . . . without the bibs and bobs. I am giving it its well-deserved upgrade.

::The Kriosian let out a soft sigh as she took a look around.::

Rahman: And is there a reason you didn’t think to ask first?

TBC…

Lt. Commander Tristam Core

First Officer & SCE Project Manager, USS Invicta

C238803SB0 (I am not a sheep, ser)

&

Commander Roshanara Rahman

Commanding Officer, USS Syracuse