JP: David Whale & Roshanara Rahman: One Last Voyage

Rich Yulin

Sep 10, 2016, 10:59:59 PM9/10/16
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Invicta
((Alton Vines' cabin, Glenboro, Manitoba, Canada, Earth))

::Alton Vines, former chief engineer of the Constitution class USS Ackerman, who like Whale, managed to survive a temporal anomaly that had brought him into the 24th century--at the cost of the lives of his shipmates--shook his head as he looked back at his two guests.::

Vines: So you want me to help you jump start the old girl, eh?

Whale: You don’t have any obligation to this, Vines.  You more than covered your bet with Starfleet -- we both did.

::But the gears in Vines' head were already turning. And if Roshanara knew one thing about engineers, it was they couldn't resist a problem to fix or a puzzle to be solved.::

Vines: Oh, really now? Is that why you're here, then?

Whale: Hell no, I’m not involved in this at all.  First, I was security aboard the Ackerman -- security is security, no matter how old the ship.  They don’t need me.  :: pause ::  And second, it’s a diplomatic mission.  Not exactly my forte.

Vines: You got that right.

Whale: Not that you’re much better at being diplomatic than I am, but you can at least make the thing fly without exploding.

Vines: Hmmph.

Rahman: ::nods:: Exactly. You won't be asked to deal with any of the other... "brass bull" as you say. But we could use your help--your knowledge and skills.

Whale: Oh, I never said I didn’t see the rationale.  He’s clearly the best man for the job.  I just don’t agree with the whole premise.  I mean really, has no one -- not one person in the Starfleet brain trust -- noticed that the ship the Klingons requested isn’t at all related to the event they’re supposedly commemorating?  The Enterprise was a Constitution refit.  The Venture is an original Constitution.

Vines: Wait, the Klingons requested the Venture be there?

Rahman: Yes, well...

Whale: You don’t survive this long in security in two separate timelines without taking note of things that don’t add up.

Vines: So what are you saying? This is all some secret plot of theirs... to what? Make life a pain in the ass for a bunch of Starfleet engineers?

::The former chief engineer then rubbed his chin thoughtfully.::

Vines: Though I wouldn't put it past them...

::Whale held up his hands and shrugged.::

Whale: Because politics and underhanded scheming never mix?  All I’m saying is that this has a distinct odour to it.  I don’t know what it smells of, but it smells.

::Roshanara glanced back over at Whale, giving him a "You're not helping" look.::

Whale: I know you don’t have a choice Commander -- I know how Starfleet works, they just dump things in your lap and then try to make you think you’re happy to take care of them.  But you…

::He turned to Vines and his expression grew a little bit sombre.  Maybe not enough for anyone but Vines to notice -- but then, Rahman had been through her own trauma.  Maybe she’d recognize the look too.::

Whale: You don’t owe Starfleet anything.  You’ve earned the right to tell them to piss off.

Vines: You're right. I have.

::Vines took a deep breath, slowly exhaling.::

Vines: But you know what? ::He looked at Roshanara.:: First of all, I think this plan is ridiculous and you'll be lucky if you can just get it towed out there.

::She nodded. He was probably right.::

::Vines' eyes drifted over to the model of the Ackerman. His voice was softer now.::

Vines: That said, maybe it'd be nice to see something *real*. None of this holographic crap all of your generation seems to be into.

::Whale was silent for a moment, then went to his satchel and pulled out an object wrapped in fine white cloth, almost like satin.::

Whale: If you’re set on doing this… then at least take this.

::Vines looked over in curiosity as Whale tossed the object to him.::

:: It was a 2260’s era Type-II hand phaser, they kind that he and Whale would have used aboard the Ackerman.  In fact, it WAS one of the ones Whale had used aboard the Ackerman.  The ship name was engraved along the side.  One of the few items he still possessed from those days. ::

Whale: Pristine condition.  I’ve kept it in working order, even took it to the test range a few times a year.  Doesn’t hold its charge as long as it used to, but neither do I.

::Roshanara tried to hide her surprise at finding out that her companion had been carrying a live weapon--even if an antique one--with him the whole time.::

::Then again, maybe they could have just stunned Vines and kidnapped him to save time.::

::The old chief engineer looked back at his former shipmate.::

Vines: You sure you don't want to come along? Make sure these new kids don't screw it up?

Whale: I let go of all that a long time ago.  My past is my past, no matter how long ago it was or whatever trauma was involved. My life is here now, on Earth, this century.

::He glanced to Rahman.::

Whale: And I’d like to get back to it as soon as possible.

::She nodded.::

Rahman: Of course.

::She looked over to Vines.::

Rahman: So if you are willing to-

::Vines waved her off.::

Vines: A good engineer knows when to shut up once he gets what he--or she--needs. Something else I guess they've forgotten to teach these days.

Rahman: Hmmph.

Vines: But yes, I'll do it.

Rahman: Thank you, Mr. Vines.

Vines: Uh-huh. Now get out of my house. ::He turned to Whale.:: Both of you.

::As the old man pulled himself out of his chair, Whale shot a quick glance at his companion before he started moving to leave.::

Whale: More than happy to.

::Roshanara, though, tried to give further information to Vines.::

Rahman: I'll arrange transport for you if-

::But he was already scooting them out the door.::

Vines: How about you just meet me in Winnipeg? I don't need even more people knowing where I live.

Rahman: Of course. Thank you again.

::Vines continued stepping forward, practically shoving them out of the cabin.::

Vines: Uh-huh. Good-bye.

::And the wooden door shut behind them.::

::As they stood on the porch, looking back out to the road that would lead them back to civilization, Roshanara turned to Whale.::

Rahman: And thank you, Mr. Whale.

Whale: Just remember what I said.  He’s your responsibility while he’s under your command.

::He didn’t say anything further.  He knew he didn’t have to.::

Rahman: I understand. ::But then, curiosity got the better of her.:: I do have one question, though.

Whale: All right...

Rahman: Do you always carry a personal sidearm with you when visiting "old colleagues."

::Whale's right brow twitched upward a half centimetre.::

Whale: You’ve read my Starfleet personnel file, you’ve seen the crews I served with.  What do you think?

END

Assistant Director with the Criminal Intelligence Operations
Lt. Colonel (Ret.), Starfleet Marine Corps

&

Commanding Officer, USS Syracuse
Project Manager, Starfleet Corps of Engineers
I238705TZ0