[I-CRR] JP: Capt. Kells & Lt. Cmdr. Skyfire: Different Ship, Same Conversation (Part 1)

Tony

Jun 27, 2015, 3:44:15 PM6/27/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
OOC: This is obviously offset from Aron in his quarters by a bit.

(( Skyfire’s Quarters, USS Invicta ))

:: Chythar had been quietly asleep attempting to rebuild his shielding after the havoc that had been inflicted on him during the mission when Ris called out to find the others. His neural inhibitor had long since worn off, and once again it felt like he was at the mercy of all the minds around him threatening to make his mind explode when he was awoken by the sound of the badge. ::

Kells: =/\= Kells to Skyfire.

:: Devlin barked at it once and CD reached over from his bed to his nightstand, where he’d left it the night before. ::

Skyfire: =/\= Skyfire here, sir.

Kells: =/\= Doctor, are you occupied at the moment?

:: He hadn’t really been awake for hours, as he’d actually been asleep for the last several without nightmares for once. It was a rare occurrence that he’d be able to actually sleep and not wake up with a headache, though he had to admit not having Sal aboard was both a blessing and a curse -- nobody understood him better than Sal, but the shared mental link meant he’d be able to sleep without transmitting his nightmares. ::

Skyfire: =/\= Of course not sir. What can I do for you?

Kells: =/\= Report to my ready room, please.

:: A talk in the ready room. Why did that seem so familiar? So much like his old CO, Cassie, yet not like his old CO at all -- the way he said it seemed to be different than hers. And he prefaced it with small talk, which is something he didn’t recall Cassie doing. ::

Skyfire: =/\= Let me get presentable and I’ll be right in.

Kells: =/\= Very good. Kells, out. =/\=

:: The line clicked off and Devlin whimpered softly. oO Master feed me? Oo CD chuckled a little and petted his little friend before getting up and making some breakfast for Devlin. The canine jumped off the bed and went toward his bowl in anticipation, tail wagging happily. Once the bowl was set in front of him, the pup started nibbling as Chythar got himself dressed and clean-shaven. ::

(( Bridge, USS Invicta ))

:: The doc had never been on the bridge of a Cardiff-class vessel before, and something about it bothered him. Where were the captain’s chairs? More to the point, why was there a large … table … ? in the center of it where the captain would normally sit? oO What the hell sort of crackers design is this, anyway? Oo he thought to himself. The ready room seemed to still be in its usual place, and he walked to it and rang the chime, a cup of coffee in his hand. He hoped that the captain wouldn’t mind. ::

Kells: =/\= Come in.

(( Ready Room ))

:: As usual -- but as Aron was getting used to again -- the computer announced his visitor. Unlike those prior to him, Skyfire was expected. No, more than that: Aron had prepared for his arrival. ::

Kells: Doctor, thank you for coming on such short notice. Would you like anything?

:: Chythar came through the doors and noted immediately that it was a bit smaller. Things seemed to be in different places, though the captain’s desk and the two chairs were obviously staples of any ready room design. He nodded in greeting and had a seat when it was offered, still holding onto his coffee. ::

Skyfire: Morning, Captain. I’ll be fine, thanks. Got my coffee on the way in.

Kells: Yes, the bridge is fairly forward that way, isn’t it? That is, I don’t know if you ordered from the bridge’s replicator -- but if you didn’t notice, the bridge has a replicator.

:: Marvelous, Aron thought -- but marvelous in a rather removed way. It wasn’t the ship or the experience he was used to, to say the least. ::

:: The first conversation Chythar had with Egan Manno shortly after his arrival onto the USS Garuda was getting promoted to assistant chief medical officer. The second was promotion to acting chief and promotion to lieutenant. This conversation, aboard the Invicta, his first with the captain, was to confirm him as CMO for this vessel. And something else that he couldn’t quite place his finger on. Probably due to the fact his abilities hadn’t settled into their final configuration. ::

Skyfire: It’d be an honor to take up the title on our new home. :: He paused and had a sip of his coffee. :: Though I’m somehow guessing there’s more to this than reaffirming my title.

Kells: There is. Otherwise -- forgive me -- I wouldn’t have seen you individually.

:: Not bad for guesswork. Chythar also had a revelation to make, but not yet. He’d wait until Aron opened it up to him for questions. Though this time there was something familiar about the condenser he produced on the desk, and he tried to place where he’d seen it before. ::

(( Flashback -- Captain’s Ready Room, USS Garuda, SD 239109.29 ))

:: Chythar came in and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary or pique his suspicions this was going to be anything more than a simple update. He figured it’d be a “so, how’re your patients?” type of conversation. He didn’t pick up anything out of the ordinary either via his abilities, because they were, at this point inhibited by his meds. ::

EGAN MANNO: Doctor Skyfire, please have a seat.

SKYFIRE: Captain. Always a pleasure. :: He had a seat, taking a slow breath. :: When we aren’t discussing bad news.

:: The circumstances during which they had last met had been less than ideal -- the situation with Alleran Tan -- but there was no crisis now. Still, Cassie noted that there was some rigidity in the way he sat. ::

:: He felt tense. A bit nervous. Bad news happened on a regular basis. Though why, if he had just spoken about it being a pleasure to see her, did he feel so tense? ::

EGAN MANNO: First, please.

:: She indicated the condenser and the small hatch within. Despite the condenser’s silver, the full gold pip was easy to see once the hatch was opened. ::

:: He noted the condenser that was on her desk once she motioned for it, reaching a hand out to take it and forced it not to shake as he took it into his hand. When he saw that gold pip, his eyes widened slightly. He didn’t think anything he did warranted such action at first. Then he thought back: patching up Commander Calderan. Twice. Patching up Ensign Greyson. Once. Patching up Commander Core. Once. Saving Commander Tan’s life and not screwing up the extraction operation on a Trill as the primary. oO Did I do all that? Oo ::

SKYFIRE: :: hesitantly :: A---a lieutenant’s pip?

EGAN MANNO: Effective immediately. Congratulations, Lieutenant.

:: He was stunned. For a moment. Similarly to an experience he had before; aboard the Excalibur, during his promotion to Lt. JG. The thought that haunted him then haunted him now. oO Say something, you idiot. Oo followed by a second thought oO Saying “first” usually implies there’s something else to add. Should I be nervous? Oo followed immediately by a third thought oO Say something, you idiot. Oo ::

SKYFIRE: Thank you, Captain. :: Beat. :: I’m guessing that wasn’t the sole reason you requested to meet with me. :: He closed the lid of the condenser and held it in his lap. ::

(( End Flashback ))

:: The box, regardless of its shape, was a little larger than a pip. And that is where he’d seen it before. This could only mean one thing. ::

Skyfire: A lieutenant commander’s pip. :: he opened the box only to have his guess confirmed. oO Say something, CD. Oo  :: Thank you, sir.

Kells: If I may be entirely honest, Doctor -- Commander…?

:: He paused for a moment, allowing Skyfire to come to terms with the reality of his new rank. It would take longer than that, of course, but every little bit helped. ::

Kells: You’ll notice I’m using Egan Manno’s old presentation vessel. To be frank, discarded engineering parts are her thing, not mine -- but this promotion is done with her blessing and half at her behest. She was pleased, up through her move over to Astrofori One, with your progress, and recommended your promotion. Obviously I agreed, or you wouldn’t be receiving this now.

:: He held onto the condenser for the present, allowing the conversation to take its course. As per his ritual in the past, he’d hand it back when he was ready. With her blessing and half at her behest meant, to him, “promote him before I make it an order.” Chythar suspected that Aron was still getting used to taking orders from her. ::

Skyfire: Doctor is sufficient. :: He paused and had a sip of his coffee. :: I’m sensing a “but” coming.

:: The last time there was a “but” attached to his promotion, it was to say he needed to grow more competent and less dismissive before he could take on the title of Chief Medical Officer, as he was only given “acting” CMO at that time. ::

Kells: I don’t mean to be so obvious about it -- but, yes, there is a “but.” Again to be frank, I’ve relied a lot upon my memories of my crew from my first tour as a CO, as well as the memories I’m still reassembling from the doppelganger that commanded the Mercury for a time. I know this was all before your time, but that’s my point: I haven’t gotten to know you, Doctor, not really. I’d

like to change that, however, beginning with this promotion.

TBC

===

Captain Aron Kells

Commanding Officer