[I-Arb] [JP] Reynolds & Skyfire -- Chance Encounters & Telepathic Conundrums (Part II)

Quinn Reynolds

Jul 9, 2015, 5:47:00 PM7/9/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( USS Invicta -- Deck 7 Arboretum ))

Skyfire: It's not normal for Terrans without some sort of reader ancestry. Mine was brought on by a Dokkaran patient whom I was treating. I had a bit of trouble adapting at first, and since then there have been some strange circumstances that have made my life challenging.

::She finished the train of thought for him.::

Reynolds: And you thought I should know.

:: He gave a slow and deliberate nod, one that seemed nearly practised for either difficult patients or calculated responses such as this. ::

Skyfire: Yes. When we met, I was a T2/E2. I have no doubt you saw it in my service record when you were able to return to duty.

::She offered him a faint smile.::

Reynolds: Yes, I was informed. Telepaths often make information security.. a little more complicated. ::She paused. From experience, she knew how hard adjusting to such new-found abilities could be.:: How have you been managing?

Skyfire: There have been a few people whose aid has been enlisted to help me adapt. Saveron and Counselor Moonsong included.

::His answer was met with an nod.::

Reynolds: They're who I'd choose to go to, in your circumstances.

:: This was the second captain in nearly two weeks he'd spoken to about his abilities, and the circumstances. He did have a question that seemed to burn itself into his memory, but only because he was hoping he could come up with something else to answer the riddle. ::

Skyfire:  Indeed. They've been immensely helpful. :: He paused again, seemingly lost in thought for a moment before he pulled himself out of it. :: Do you have any contacts amongst the Dokkarans, per chance?

Reynolds: I don't. ::She thought for a moment.:: But I can put you in contact with someone who does.

:: He nodded his agreement. CD wasn't on speaking terms with Azin, or at least...he didn't think so. Their last few conversations were abbreviated, and none of them yielded any additional insight into his situation. ::

Skyfire: That would be appreciated.

Reynolds: It's no trouble.

:: There is a pause, one in which he attempted to find additional words. He didn't know what else he wanted to add to the conversation, and took a breath. ::

Skyfire: I thank you for your time, Captain.

::She didn't answer for a moment, a pensive expression settling onto her features.::

Reynolds: Curious, isn't it? How many individuals there are out here who've found themselves with telepathic abilities they weren't born with.

:: It was indeed. A very curious puzzle. One he couldn't really answer. The only insight he had into situations such as his was the consultations of his Dokkaran contact, which were very few,  and the coldly rational Vulcan colleague, Saveron. It wasn't common, and he didn't know how to react to it for a moment. ::

Skyfire: It is. And I'm trying to learn different methods of control that don't involve the use of chemical inhibitors, which I've discovered are no longer as effective on me. It's...it's proving to be a challenge. :: He paused and blew a strand of hair from his face. :: I've even thought about those external inhibitors.

Reynolds: But..?

Skyfire: The ability to turn it off is the only upside to that.

Reynolds: It's better to be able to control it yourself, you're right. Never know when you'll be unable to get your hands on inhibitors. ::She frowned.:: But that's easier said than done.

Skyfire: I don't relish the idea of having to remember to turn it on in the middle of being shot at, for example. I don't suppose you have any tips for me?

Reynolds: I don't know that I do. ::She shook her head.:: I've been able to keep telepaths out of my head for a long time, but my... abilities… require physical contact. I've never needed to learn how to keep the background noise out.

:: He wished he was restricted to touch sometimes, though at the moment...he knew one person with whom that would never be possible. Possibly two. His last attempt at physical contact was to reassure Ris she wasn't crazy or losing her mind. ::

Skyfire: I see.

Reynolds: I'm sorry, doctor. I wish I could be more help.

:: It was an interesting reply, one he'd given to a few people on a number of occasions. Though in this case, she had been a great help by mentioning she had contacts amongst the species that started his adventure into the realm of telepathy. That was of more help than she knew. ::

Skyfire: You've been immensely helpful, Captain. Thank you.

::She looked somewhat unconvinced, but nodded nonetheless and after a moment, attempted a smile.::

Reynolds: You're welcome.

:: He smiled in return and took his leave, as he had more work to catch up on in sickbay. Despite being on shore leave when they were supposed to rest and relax, he couldn't seem to escape the med tape that was wrapped around his new responsibilities and rank. Especially when he had patients to attend. ::

--
Captain Quinn Reynolds
Director of Intelligence

&