[I-BSR] JP-Saveron, Skyfire & Moonsong: Genetic Variation Part 3

Sarah Eccles

Jun 23, 2015, 9:00:16 PM6/23/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Biosciences Seminar Room, USS Invicta))

::Raissa was barely aware that Saveron had withdrawn his grip on her hand. She reveled inwardly at the quiet. The alleviation of the pressure that had been constant for days. She took a deep breath and then let it out along with some of the tension that had kept her muscles locked.::

::The sensation was similar to her pre-Community state. She had an awareness of other minds around her. The ‘carrier wave’ as Saveron had called it. She understood more clearly now what that meant.  While she still needed to learn to deal with the loss of the Community’s presence in her mind, at least now she could work on that.::

Moonsong: We… I cannot express how grateful I am for this… respite.

Saveron: You are welcome. ::He said gravely.:: I would recommend that you utilise the time provided to rest and then strengthen your own shielding; it would be detrimental to your psyche for me to perform the procedure frequently.

::He could do it once or twice, but she would have to learn to manage it for herself.::

:: CD just remained silent. He wasn’t sure how he was supposed to react, and didn’t have any thoughts on what to say here. It all seemed so complicated somehow. ::.

::Finally she turned her attention to CD. She wasn’t the only one suffering.::

Moonsong: Sensing the presence of other minds is… a natural part of being a telepath. Vulcans are the only ones I know of who can block their presence from another telepath.

::She paused. CD had a history of not embracing his talent. While he no longer used the word ‘curse’, he did not view it as a gift or something fully part of him.::

Saveron: Even for my people, rendering our own mental signature null to another telepath requires great concentration.

::Even four-lobed brains produced a carrier wave; to appear completely inert to a telepath was very difficult.::

Skyfire: So I noticed.

Saveron: The question is, how do you both intend to proceed, in light of your increasing abilities?

Skyfire: Your guess is as good as mine, doctor. :: He stared at his empty mug and pondered over his next words. ::

Moonsong: ::she looked down at her hands.:: I have to gain greater control. In order to do my job… I may have to do the one thing I don’t want to do. ::pause:: A neural inhibitor during working hours untill I get control.

Skyfire: I think Saveron should oversee that treatment. I too need greater control, though I somehow got the feeling during the mission that my own recipe is no longer as effective as it used to be...

Saveron: I will do what I can. ::He assured them.:: Careful treatment combined with meditation and practice should allow you to develop the mental barriers that you will require in order to live with your heightened states of telepathy.

Moonsong: If… if this is what I have now become…. I have to adjust. ::She paused again.:: This will have a deep impact on my professional and personal life.

::It was true. Being a powerful telepath had a profound impact on all aspects of one’s existence. He considered it vastly preferable that he was a touch telepath, and had to deliberately act to bring his abilities into play. The plight of a ranged telepath was not one for which he held any favour.::

Saveron: As in all changes in life, it will be a time to re-assess and adjust. ::He said gently.::

:: Again, CD said nothing. He continued trying to read them both, that dim awareness his only clue that there were other minds in there with him. He closed his eyes and attempted to get a grip on his own shields, which he was struggling to rebuild. ::

::Raissa frowned slightly as she looked at CD. Now that her mind was quieter and calmer, it was easier to focus.::

Moonsong: CD… what are you trying to do?

Skyfire: Seeing how much I can pick up and rebuild shields, which suck.

Moonsong: I think you are trying to do things all at once. You need to practice patience too. Are you still feeling me? I mean beyond the general awareness?

Skyfire: Not at the same level I could before, no.

Moonsong: Then that is what you should feel. The carrier wave. The awareness of other minds without reading them. Nor am I reading you. I am aware of you, but I’m not reading your thoughts. ::pause:: Are you picking up anything other than that?

Skyfire: You mean besides Saveron’s practiced calm and the fact you’ve finally calmed down? :: He took a breath. :: Nope.

Moonsong: You need to look at that as… ::she frowned slightly looking for the right term.:: Background noise. ::She paused again.:: But with your telepathy level still unstable, you will need to learn a different kind of shielding than what I tried to teach you. I think Saveron’s method might work for you.

Saveron: It is possible, however as with Raissa it would be a temporary solution only.

Skyfire: I don’t know, doc. Last time we tried that...it was a bit rough on both of us, remember?

Saveron: I have not forgotten. ::How could he forget?:: The choice is yours. I can only offer possible treatments. However your current state is not optimal.

:: The doctor did have a point, and Chythar wasn’t really in a mental state to argue with him. Or Ris. Lest she smack him again for being stubborn like one of her brothers. With a rather weak nod, he extended his hand and let Saveron do what he needed to, and attempted to keep his memories to himself. ::

Saveron: Do not anticipate trauma. ::He advised.::

::The contact was much shallower than the mind meld which they had used so that Chythar might show Saveron the source of his change and resulting trauma. This time the link was lighter, and briefer. Having already schooled his thoughts for the necessary transfer with Raissa, and knowing CD’s mind, it was a relatively quick process for Saveron to build the telepathic walls that he used, and then break the contact.::

:: This time, the effects seemed fleeting. Like before, there was a brief flash in which Saveron saw the Romulan Embassy and the flash of Raissa’s question asking where everyone was. In that moment, she had managed to punch through his shields. This time, he was prepared for it and managed to take in a single breath. ::

::Raissa folded her hands on the top of the table. With the walls Saveron had given her, she could not read what the two of them were doing on a mental level. Nor did she need to. It was the perfect opportunity to examine and study the shielding the Vulcan had given her. She wanted to learn what he had given her and mold it to fit her own purposes.::

Saveron: Again, you will have perhaps twelve hours before those walls dissipate. I counsel you to study them, learn from them that which applies to yourself, and use that knowledge to build your own.

::Every telepath’s mental barriers were different, which was why his would not last, transplanted into another mind. They would each have to find their own answers, but he could assist.::

:: The doctor’s mind was shielded, for the moment. It would be a few hours at least for him to study them in great detail, and hopefully less time than that to attempt to adapt them. He didn’t know what his new telepathic level was, but somehow he had the feeling he didn’t want to find out. ::

Skyfire: Thank you. I’ll...I’ll let you know how it works out.

::She didn’t notice when they were finished. She had focused inwardly, rediscovering her center of peace that she had used all her life. And she was half asleep since she had gotten so little rest during the last few days.::

Skyfire: Ris?

:: CD glanced over at the counselor, and knew full well the effects of the last few days had taken their toll on them both. It was going to be one long day of sleep and meditation for him, and likely curling up with Devlin in between meditations. ::

Moonsong: ::blinks:: What?

Saveron: I would recommend that you both rest and use the opportunity to recuperate. ::He said gently.::

:: Skyfire nodded. He was fine for the moment. He was going to be okay after some sleep and a few hours studying what Saveron had put in place for him. Hopefully. ::

Skyfire: I’ll be okay. You should get some rest too.

::Raissa nodded, placing her hands flat on the table, she pushed herself out of her chair.::

Moonsong: There is one more thing… a favor…

::The Vulcan cocked his head and raised one eyebrow.::

Skyfire: Favor?

Moonsong: Would the two of you examine Commander Core? I am not the scientists you are, but there is a disconnect between his ability to speak and his thoughts. I… I am able to read him in a way, and normally I shouldn’t be able to, but the Community had no problem with a four-lobed brain. They may have left that with me as well.

Saveron: Vulcans are able to read four-lobed individuals, but I would only do so with his permission. ::As he would only do with anyone.::

:: CD knew of Core’s case, and was still working on it. He had been studying it, and it hadn’t enough time to finish or follow up. There probably wasn’t a connection between telepathy and Core’s speech problems, though it could have been an effect caused by the temporal incursion. ::

Skyfire: I will look into it further.

Moonsong: Now I will do as you both tell me. I am going to get some rest and then meditate. ::pause:: I cannot thank you enough. Both of you.

Saveron: You are welcome. Live long and prosper.

:: Chythar blinked for a few moments. How was he supposed to react? What did he do? He wasn’t sure, but he was glad he could help. ::

Skyfire: Glad I could help.

::Quietly she left the room, heading toward her quarters for much needed sleep. She would consider the use of inhibitors later. At some point she would need to contact Carter. They needed to talk.::

:: Chythar lingered for just a few seconds, then got up and took his leave as well. He felt there wasn’t anything further to say or ask until he’d had a chance to study the temporary shielding that the Vulcan had provided. His gaze locked with Saveron’s for a moment. ::

Skyfire: I’d be grateful for any insight you can provide into Tristam’s case. I have a couple theories I’d like to share with you.

Saveron: I would be honoured.

The End
=====

Lieutenant Commander Saveron