[WC5C] Capt. Kells: Shining Happy People (ALL!)

Tony

Nov 11, 2015, 11:14:28 PM11/11/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( Island Beach, W Cygni 5C ))

Moonsong: Tristam, did you have the doctor check you out like I asked you to?

:: Aron, who had lost himself in the unreality of the place and their star of ship far overhead, snapped back in time to hear Raissa's question, and to catch the fire-enhanced eyebrow Commander Core tossed her way. ::

Core: Give me two days. It'll settle. And if it doesn't, then I'll get checked out as per usual.

:: Aron's gaze followed Core's but continued past the other's subjects -- Roshanara, who seemed to be looking over at Ki Shanres and the young refugee he had with him. This refugee had been one of the few to make it through the keyhole, for reasons yet unknown, and he'd heard stirrings that she was related to an alternate version of Roshanara. Or was that Ki Shandres? Or perhaps both? He needed to get the full story, but he hadn't yet dug deeply enough.

Meanwhile, he continued to gaze, looking for Saveron. He wanted his old friend's take on everything that had happened lately, beginning with the Q business and ending at W Cygni, but especially with respect to their trip into the alternate universe. Aron didn't see him around the fire, though, and suspected that Sav's version of recreation was quiet meditation. Well, he'd go interrupt that later. ::

Tuk: I will leave you guys, if I’m bothering you in any way.

Moonsong: Please don’t leave, Mr. Tuk.  I thought perhaps it would be nice if we all had dinner together.

Kells: Yes, that's a wonderful idea.

:: And playing straight into his hands, though they weren't to know it yet. ::

Moonsong: This would be a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know each other better. ::pause:: Without a crisis.

DeVeau: That sounds heavenly.

:: Alora, along with a few intrepid others, was attempting to put together another tent. "Attempting" was definitely the key word there, as the whole endeavor fell over sideways as soon as she'd spoken. ::

DeVeau: Who decided not to use an automatic shelter?

:: Aron glanced over at Roshanara, intending to rib her -- "it would be the engineer's suggestion" or some such -- but he found her less than attentive, still apparently fixated on Shandres and the refugee. ::

DeVeau: I can’t put up a tent to save my life.  My dad took us camping a few times, but he always put up the tents.

Anyone: ?

Core: I thought tent building was part of the "plant expert" qualification.

DeVeau: I don’t think I have a career as a tent putter togetherer.  Not by a long shot.

Anyone: ?

:: She and her assistants were tenacious, though, and even as their attempt failed, they began dismantling the tent for another try. Or, at least some of them did. ::

DeVeau: So who wants to go exploring with me?

Core: I think I'll pass exploration tonight. We'll see how we go tomorrow, though.

Kells: Actually, before you go -- I wonder, could everyone gather around the fire for a moment?

:: That was a tall order, as the "everyone" of crew and complement was no small number. However, the senior staff seemed clustered around him and this fire, while there were more civilians, noncoms, and junior officers around other fires along the beach. That would suit him just fine, as everyone he wanted to recognize individually was here and news would filter along the beach. ::

Kells: I replicated a few decorations before the final evacuation, and I can't see any better time than when we're all around this campfire. So, ::beat:: Alora?

:: He couldn't let her go exploring, not yet. Not without saying what he wanted to say, anyway. ::

Kells: Just as I'm not longer the same man you met some years ago, so you're no longer the same woman. That eager young scientist has been aged, distilled, fortified -- but never compromised. You were one of my closest friends during my first tenure as captain, and now you're one of my most trusted senior officers. Therefore, it's my great pleasure to give this to you.

:: He stood up and indicated that she should hold out her hand. Normally, public promotions had the CO pin the new pip on the officer's collar, but he thought the crew around the fireside could forgive him this once. He put the pip in her waiting palm, then gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. ::

Kells: Congratulations, Commander.

DeVeau: ?

Rahman / Foss / Core / Dara: ?

Tuk / Moonsong / Sienelis / Vex: ?

Saveron / Others: ?

:: When the congratulations and punctuations of applause had tailed off, Aron looked from Alora to Raissa. ::

Kells: When I first met Raissa Moonsong, she managed to fool me into thinking that she was some sort of theoretical astrophysicist. She wasn't trying to intentionally deceive me, of course -- she was only making use of her prodigious intellect and the mental abilities she now possesses, both complements to her great skills in her chosen discipline. There's not a day that goes by during which I don't benefit from her presence and her advice. You've become indispensible, Commander.

:: As with Alora, he stood beside Raissa, offered her the pip, and then bent quickly to kiss her cheek. Then, he joined in the applause. ::

Moonsong: ?

Rahman / Foss / Core / Dara: ?

Tuk / DeVeau / Sienelis / Vex: ?

Saveron / Others: ?

Kells: I have one other personal recognition, and it's for one of our newest crew members. Shurimal Vex--

:: Aron found the young man near Alora and registered, even as he'd spoke, that he hadn't had a conversation one-on-one with him since he'd arrived. Well, he'd have to change that. ::

Kells: --the Innovation Ribbon is one of the highest honors that can be bestowed upon a quick-thinking officer in the course of his or her duties. Your problem solving skills and distinguished service during our trip to the alternate universe have more than earned you recognition, and I'm thrilled to show my appreciation with this ribbon.

:: This seemed a little more formal, and Aron decided to pin the ribbon to Vex's breast, since he was already standing. Not wanting to break the tradition, though, he followed with another quick kiss and then shook Vex's hand. ::

Kells: Congratulations, Ensign.

Vex: ?

Rahman / Foss / Core / Dara: ?

Tuk / Moonsong / Sienelis / DeVeau: ?

Saveron / Others: ?

Kells: Finally, I want to recognize all personnel who participated in the mission to the alternate universe with both the Prometheus and the Joint Meritorious Unit Ribbons. As always, if you have already received one of these ribbons, you add a star to your ribbon cluster. Congratulations, all!

Rahman / Foss / Core / Dara: ?

Tuk / Moonsong / Sienelis / Vex: ?

DeVeau / Saveron / Others: ?

:: Again, when the applause had subsided -- there were no physical copies of the ribbons or stars, because it had seemed like most of the crew would prefer their shore leave not having to worry about losing them -- Aron nodded to the group arrayed around them. ::

Kells: That's all from me. Enjoy yourselves! I believe Alora said something about going exploring?

DeVeau: ?

Rahman / Foss / Core / Dara: ?

Tuk / Moonsong / Sienelis / Vex: ?

Saveron / Others: ?

:: Nevertheless, and while he wanted to join her, he looked around again for Saveron. What had happened to his old friend? ::

Tag! and TBC!

Captain Aron Kells
Commanding Officer
USS Invicta