[I-CRR] (P) Lt. JG Greyson -- I'm what? (Rahman)

chythar skyfire

Jun 29, 2015, 7:22:55 AM6/29/15
to Invicta IC
((Captain's Ready Room, USS Invicta))

:: He rang the chime and awaited permission to enter. Once it was received, he walked in and the doors swooshed shut behind him. ::

Greyson: You wanted to see me, Dr. Rahman?

:: Despite the fact that she held the rank of Lt. Commander, he felt more comfortable treating her as an instructor, as he was likely going to be taking Introduction to Warp Systems as his next class once he was finished with Base Mode Programming. ::

Rahman: Yes, ensign, have a seat.

:: Carter took a seat when it was offered to him and attempted to relax. He kept silent as she spoke. ::

Rahman: Commander Core is on a medical leave for the time being, and with Lieutenant Ket-Gavon and D'Soni remaining aboard the Garuda, you are the next most senior engineering officer aboard Invicta.

:: He blinked several times, and attempted to come to grips with what was being said. He had dreamed of obtaining the position on merit rather than because of the current chief being on medical leave. He thought, in some portion of his mind, that he was being punished for having a relationship with a telepath. ::

:: He was stunned, so could only manage a couple words at first. ::

Greyson: Wow. Um...thanks...?

Rahman: I know it's a lot to take in. If Commander Core should be unable to return to his post by the end of this shakedown cruise, I will talk with the captain about finding a suitable candidate from beyond the ship, but for now I need you to take on the position of acting chief engineer.

Greyson: Am I a department of one?

Rahman: You aren't alone, and as a former chief engineer, I cannot stress enough how important it is that you take on the wisdom of the enlisted engineers within your department. Some of them have served on starships far longer than either of us.

:: He swallowed hard and gave a nod. ::

Greyson:
​ ​
Against regulation putting an ensign as a chief, isn't it?

::She nodded and then presented a box with a provisional rank pin.::

Rahman: For this position, you are being given a brevet promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade.

::She handed him a PADD with the official notice approved by the captain.
He spent a few moments studying it and the box, as though testing to see whether the box was going to either polymorph into a different object or bite him.
​ ​
::

Greyson:
​ ​
Thank you... I think.

:: He tried to keep his calm. If this was the deities making a joke, he wasn't laughing. He looked at it, at the PADD, then at her with a look that said 'are you serious?' then recalled what he could of their earlier meetings.
​
oO Serious as a heart attack. Oo
​ ​
entered his mind, unbidden, in Chythar's voice. This had to be some cruel joke, with a punchline he was missing. ::

::She kept her gaze locked on the newly promoted engineer,
​
her eyes seeming to pierce through his nervousness like a hot knife through butter.
​ ​
::

Rahman: Are there any questions you have, lieutenant?

Greyson: A couple... :: He paused and took a breath, trying to calm himself. :: First has to pertain to my transcript. I can't maintain my course load for my current class and be chief at the same time. Would this count as a substitute for Base Mode Programming?

Rahman: Tag

:: That made him feel a bit better, though he had one more question that seemed to be burning in his mind about something she said during this conversation. She'd answered his main inquiry, but..Former Chief Engineer...now he was curious.  ::

Greyson: You'd mentioned you were a former chief engineer. Would you pardon my curiosity as I ask which ships?

Rahman: Tag

:: Interesting. He hadn't asked before because of the nature of how they met -- shortly after her arrest, and the second time he was assigned to guard duty of someone awaiting court martial. ::

Greyson: No, that's all for now. I'm going down to Engineering to meet the experience I will have to draw on.

Rahman: Tag

:: He offered his hand for her to shake, then affixed the rank pip to his collar before he left the room. It was going to be a long day. ::
===
Lieutenant JG Carter Greyson (Provisional)
Acting Chief of Engineering
USS Invicta NCC-81407
Simmed by: Lt. Cmdr. C. Skyfire