[JP] Lt. JG G. Xerix, Lt. S. Neathler - The Clash For Victoire (Part III)

Ghant Xerix

Jan 1, 2020, 9:20:42 AM1/1/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon
(( Wistful Fount, Gywich, Dessica II ))

It had never occurred to Ghant that Akis didn’t know about Victoire. His mother and sister knew.

Seastri: I don’t have a daughter.

Xerix: I’m afraid you do, in fact.

Neathler: Nice little girl.

Even though Samira had only seen Victoire on a hologrampicture. Akis gestured to the bartender for a refill as he ruefully shook his head. Now they had the bartender’s attention Samira asked for a refill of her own too.

Seastri: That treacherous bitch. Guess Choupette was a bit more like her mother than she realized - miserable bunch of scheming vipers, all of them. Poor kid is going to get eaten alive.

Ghant had to actively work to suppress his emotions. For Victoire’s sake he didn’t acknowledge the barb...yet. Rather surprised by the man’s reaction on the news he had a daughter, Samira eyed the dark haired man for a moment.

Neathler: Not if you’re willing to help us out.

Seastri: Are you people court officers looking for some child support? Cause I just drank most of it.

Xerix: Are you going to seek custody?

The bartender came around with their refill and Samira took a sip of the now full glass before she placed it on the wobbly table, gauging Akis’ reaction.

Seastri: Custody? Why the hell would I want custody? Can’t you see I’ve got everything a man needs? I’ve got my freedom from all the games the Houses play, I’ve got my music, I’ve got my fans….

Once again, Ghant was torn between feeling pleased at his lack of paternal instinct and utter disgust. Still, he schooled his expression and fired into the down-and-dirty.

Xerix: ::In a tone entirely too casual.:: As I said before, you were a hard man to locate, Akis Seastri. And apparently I’m not the only party looking for you. Gambling debts on Iana station, unpaid credit with the Ferengi banking alliance, and of course everything you skipped out on back on Earth.

For a moment Samira wondered what Ghant was hinting at. If Akis didn’t want custody, wasn’t that exactly what Ghant wanted? So he could get custody instead of Akis? At the mention of his many debts, Akis felt his casual facade slipping. It had taken the last of his borrowed money just to stay ahead of the Iana’ian loan sharks and his ‘income’ on Dessica II had been less than bountiful.

Seastri: So, what, you two are collection agents now? Have to say, you’re a lot nicer than the last two I ran across. I had three broken ribs by this point in the ‘conversation’ with them. But you know how temperamental Naussicans can be.

Xerix: I’m prepared to offer you a deal.

Seastri: What kind of “deal?”

Xerix: I’ll pay off all of those debts. You won’t have to worry about those folks anymore.

Still Samira didn’t say a think, hardly knowing what Ghant was playing at, paying off a stranger’s debt wouldn’t give him custody of Victoire.

Seastri: All of it? It would certainly be beneficial to my music if I wasn’t under threat of...how did the last one put it….’permanent repossession.’ What do you want me to do?

In response, Ghant wordlessly slid a PADD across the watermarked table towards the man. The thought struck him that he was bartering for a child’s well being and best interests, and he found the idea repulsive. This was one of those times where “what should be” and reality were wildly different. Samira eyed Ghant as he slipped the PADD across the table, then her gaze shifted to Akis as he read the info on it.

Akis skimmed the PADD. A cursory glance revealed words like “full custody” and “in perpetuity,” and at the top of the document was the formal seal of the Betazoid High Courts.

Seastri: Doesn’t say anything here about clearing away old debt, just a lot of legal talk that doesn’t have anything to do with me. How do I know you’ll keep your promises?

Xerix: ::Face unreadable and stone-like.:: And what better option do you have?

Seastri: Well I suppose you have me there. Fine. ::He thumbed the Padd and tossed it back at Ghant without a second look.:: If I find out my debts haven’t been cleared up, I’ll make sure to let everyone know who they should be talking to for...restitution.

Xerix: ::Securing the PADD in his breast pocket.:: Excellent decision. Now there’s just one other matter to deal with.

Ghant stood and rocketed a fist into the man’s face. The angular nose collapsed beneath his hand and his knuckles burned in the most satisfying way.

Xerix: Don’t you ever disgrace my cousin’s memory.

Conversations stopped, heads turned in their direction. One person, eager to throw out punches himself, stood up but was quickly pulled down again by one of his more sober companions. The bartender reaching for something underneath the counter.

Samira: oO Great, just great, great, great. Oo

She quickly got up herself and pushed Ghant in front of her, away from Akis, towards the only entrance door that also served as exit. Providing someone wouldn’t toss them out through the window first. She totally ignored the angry looks from some of the patrons as she pushed him a last time, then grabbed him by the arm as she rushed to the door, casting a few angry looks of herself as one of the drunks stood up. Whatever it was the drunk had in mind, Samira’s look made him drop on his barstool again.

Once outside she pushed Ghant away as she let go of his arm, anger showing on her face as she talked.

Neathler: Next time you have a bright idea like that, take him outside and hit him in the open air, not in a bar where we are the outsiders. That place could have been filled with friends of his.

Xerix: ::Rubbing his skinned knuckles.:: You think that guy has a friend, much less a room full of em?

Neathler: That’s beside the point.

She walked further away from the Wistful Found, and sadly also from her unfinished drink, getting as much room between them and Akis as possible, while taking a few deep breaths to calm herself, before she turned towards Ghant.

Neathler: So what exactly did he sign?

Xerix: ::He pulled the PADD out of his breast pocket, handing it to her as if it were made of latinum.:: He gave me his rights to Victoire.

Her hand reached out to accept the PADD but something in Ghant’s words made her look up as she looked at him.

Neathler: His rights? You’re talking about a humanoid being here, Ghant.

Shaking her head, she quickly skimmed the information on the PADD and gave it back to Ghant. Agreed Akis hadn’t known he was a father, yet he hadn’t made any single effort to ask more about her, didn’t even ask for a picture. He was more concerned about his debts being paid off, than the fact he had a tiny Betazoid being walking around out there, maybe it was for the best that someone else would take care of Victoire then. But was Ghant that person?

Xerix: Well, we could still have a fight on our hands, but this has definitely moved things into our favor.

Neathler: You mean, your favor.

Suddenly she had a bad feeling about all this. Some things in life could not be bought with all the money in the universe.

TBC

Lieutenant JG Ghant Xerix
HCO Officer
USS Gorkon
V239505GX0

&

Lieutenant Samira Neathler
Assistant Chief of Security&Tactical
USS Gorkon
G239508SN0

&

Akis Seastri
Son of the Fourth House
Proud Owner of ‘Federations Worst Father’ novelty mug

As simmed by
Lieutenant Commander Geoffrey Teller
Chief Engineer
USS Veritas - NCC 95035