Lt Chythar Skyfire & Cmdr Alex Blair: The News

Jeremy Shaffer

Apr 11, 2017, 9:23:07 PM4/11/17
to Gorkon

(( Blair’s Quarters, USS Gorkon ))

:: Chythar pressed the button and waited for an answering buzz. He was not in a good mood, and wanted nothing more than to fall into Alex’s arms and hide from the world. ::

::It had been a long day and Alex was glad that it was over. Having returned to his quarters only minutes before and not expecting company, Alex was surprised when the door chime went off.::

Blair: Come in.

:: CD entered and noticed the room was losing its familiar sense of clutter as was typical of an engineer. Most of his possessions were now packed away, and that meant one of two things. Switching quarters, or a transfer. ::

Skyfire: You’re leaving, hon?

::Alex smiled knowing that the proverbial cat was out of the bag. He had received his transfer orders earlier that morning and been locked up in his office for most of the day filing after action reports and completing the processing needed before he left the Gorkon. By the look on Chythar’s face, Alex could tell that the usual scuttlebut hadn’t gotten around yet.::

Blair: Well...this isn’t exactly how I wanted to tell you, but yes. I’m being transferred to the USS Za. It seems that they needed an engineer and Starfleet Command has asked me to help out.

:: That just soured the CMO’s already bitter mood, the coffee no longer helping conceal the taste in his mouth. Now he had to know whether he was losing Alex because their relationship wasn’t working or because of the brass. ::

Skyfire: Not now...please, not now… :: He paused, and his voice cracked a bit. :: Ah’m going through a rough patch, hon. It isn’t because of me, is it?

::Seeing Chythar and the look on his face, Alex raced across the room and embraced his partner. Alex had been so wrapped up in the excitement of preparing for his transfer that he didn’t consider what it would mean for his relationship with Chythar.::

Blair: No, it’s definitely not about you. It would never be about you Chythar...it couldn’t because I love you Chythar.

:: So he was still loved, and it was just the brass being difficult. That, he could understand, as it’d torn him away from his friends before. This time it was different. He returned the embrace, his voice still quiet as he dropped the bombshell which brought him here. ::

Skyfire: Oh Alex… :: The momentary relief he felt at Alex’s confession quickly faded to be replaced by the bitterness of the news he had to bring. :: Ah’ve just been demoted to lieutenant by JAG.

::Alex’s heart sank with Chythar’s statement. As elated he had been feeling in his confession to his partner, Alex’s entire attention was quickly drawn to Chythar’s misfortune.::

Blair: I’m so sorry, I can only imagine what you’re going through and then my news of a transfer...I’m so sorry.

:: He wrapped his arms around Alex again, wanting the embrace to last for a bit longer. The news of all this was hitting him like a ton of bricks, mixing anger and depression into a swirl of fury. He wasn’t mad at Alex, far from it. More like mad at himself for allowing the situation to happen in the first place followed by anger at the brass for messing with his life. Again. ::

::Alex allowed a few moments to pass as all the news sank in.::

Blair: I don’t know what all this means for us, but I do know one thing. This is not the end for us Chythar. There’s something deep within me that says that I was meant to be with you and I’m not about to let that go. Even if we end up on opposite ends of the universe.

Skyfire: :: glanced to Alex’s wrist and placed his hand on the bracelet he’d made. :: Ah’ll be with you. Always.

::Alex glanced down to the bracelet. In truth he had been wearing it for long enough that it had essentially become a part of him and Alex forgot that he wore it. Alex then glanced back to Chythar and pulled his partner in for a kiss.::

Blair: ::pointing towards his chest:: Here too.

:: The kiss seemed to make all the negativity fall away in that moment. He seemed to relax a bit, for the first time since both the JAG letter and the bombshell of Alex’s transfer. Once the kiss broke, he once again pulled his partner into a tender embrace. ::

Skyfire: Ah’ll miss you…

::Alex smiled.::

Blair: I’ll miss you too, but you know I’m not going anywhere tonight…

Skyfire: Then yeh should come visit me and Devlin tonight. Ah’ll help yeh finish up here.

::Alex smiled again, there was no better way he would have wanted to spend his last night on the Gorkon than in Chythar’s company.::

Blair: Well, I typically travel light so I don’t have much but I’m grateful for your help. It’s basically just the cupboards in the bedroom. The only thing I’ve got out here is my wooden Tiger-A that Ian gave me years ago and it’s easy to pack up.

::As he spoke Alex led Chythar into the bedroom where he already had a duffel bag laid out on the bed.::

:: CD followed into the bedroom and glanced around. It was going to be a hard transition, and he didn’t want to lose his love for any reason. This time, it had been decided to give him a break but transfer the person he was closest to. ::

Blair: So it’s really just these two cabinets. Mainly uniforms…

::Alex opened one door and revealed a rack full of red collared uniforms. He turned to Chythar and grinned.::

Blair: I guess I won’t need these anymore, I’ll have to get used to gold again.

:: CD raised an eyebrow as he looked at the rack of red. ::

Skyfire: Ah think yeh look good in whatever color, personally. Ah’ve idly wondered how you’d look in teal.

::Alex glared at Chythar for a moment.::

Blair: Well you just keep wondering. If you ever see me in a teal uniform you had better run the opposite direction because someone’s about to get hurt.

Skyfire: :: chuckling :: Oh, come on. We can put yeh in one of my teal collars and ah can take a holopic before ya leave.

::Alex laughed as he started digging through the closet.::

Blair: Yeah you just keep dreaming, that’s the only way it’s ever gonna happen.

Skyfire: Aww. Okay. Ah’ll behave.

::Alex started pulling items out of the closet and sorting them out on the bed. Some items, such as the red uniforms, would be placed in the recycler while others would be put in the bag to go with him. As he worked a glint of light caught Alex’s eye from bottom shelf.::

Blair: Huh...haven’t seen that in a while.

Skyfire: What’d you find, Alex?

::Alex grabbed the metallic object and pulled it out and handed it to Chythar.::

Blair: My dogtags from the Marine Corps. ::pause:: Man this brings back some memories, I didn’t even realize I still had them.

:: CD looked at them with a raised brow as his gaze wandered over the text. Alex’s full name, blood type, serial number and a no preference for religion. Being a doctor, he loved having this information somewhere so he didn’t kill anyone with a transfusion if it was warranted. ::

Skyfire: What do yeh plan on doing with ‘em?

::Alex thought for a moment before responding.::

Blair: I want you to have them. They can represent me just like this bracelet will remind me of you.

:: CD sat stunned for a moment, not entirely sure what to say in reply. He placed them around his neck and nodded, finally finding his tongue. ::

Skyfire: Thanks, hon.

Blair: You’re welcome.

::Alex took another moment to place a few more items in his duffel bag which was starting to get full.::

Blair: So are you going to be okay? I know getting demoted can’t be easy, and now I won’t be around to be there for you.

:: Was he going to be okay? Did he even have an answer? He still had friends, and he was still going to counseling. He made a mental note to send Izzy a message when he found the time. ::

Skyfire: Ah honestly have nae idea. Lael, Dassa and Tobian are still around to lean on if ah need it.

::Alex nodded as feelings started to bubble up.::

Blair: Just remember, I’m only a subspace call away and I’ll never turn down a call from you.

Skyfire: Nor ah from yeh, Alex. :: He pulled his partner into another kiss and risked a glance at the bag once he broke it. :: All packed?

Blair: Yeah, and I’m about done with being sad. New rule for the rest of the night, we are going to be happy. It’s our last night together on the same ship and I want to remember it as a good night. So let’s get out of here and go see Devlin.

:: He nodded in agreement at the new rule for the night, and zipped Alex’s bag shut as they made their way out of the now barren quarters and headed to CD’s own. ::

Fin

===

Lieutenant Chythar Skyfire

Chief Medical Officer