Fleet Captain Quinn Reynolds - Accolades

Quinn Reynolds

Jan 21, 2017, 1:46:04 PM1/21/17
to Gorkon (IC)
((Main Lodge, Mindirra Mountain Range, Palanon))

::Quinn was curled up in one of the cosy chairs, a mug of rich hot chocolate clasped in her hands. This wasn't to be a formal ceremony, and she hoped that her choice of location would lend itself to that intent. There were no rows of hard-backed chairs, no stage or podium to stand on -- just a collection of comfortable seating vaguely (and only vaguely) pointing in the same direction.

::The table in front of the fire tended to draw eyes, piled high as it was with small, black boxes, however. Inside each one was a service ribbon -- or a star for one -- and three contained brand new pips ready to adorn their new owner's collars.

::From her seat, she watched, sipping on her drink, as people began to filter in from the snowy outside, discarding their outer layers now that they were in the warm. Except for MacMorna, it seemed, whose brightly-coloured bobble hat clearly marked him out in the crowd. When all the chairs were filled, a mishmash of plush armchairs and cosy sofas, Alucard wound his way through the maze of gaps until he reached the front.::

Vess: This should be everyone.

Reynolds: Alright, good, thank you.

::With some reluctance, she uncurled herself from her brief hibernation spot, standing so that she could be seen by everyone. That appeared to be all the notice that was needed for conversation to die down, and she was easily heard when the only competition was the crackling fire warming her back.::

Reynolds: I'm sorry for interrupting your evening, I know many of you have plans. You'll be glad to hear that I don't intend to take long, and you can get back to them soon enough.

::She smiled, paused and took a breath.::

Reynolds: I'm always at something of a loss for how to award our first ribbon, the Purple Heart. So hope you'll forgive me if I paraphrase Admiral Sotek. ::She paused.:: Many wish to serve in Starfleet, and it is but a select few who are able to conduct themselves with the skill, courage and conviction that is required.

::For once, she didn't intend on making the recipients come to her. Everyone looked too snug and comfortable to drag them out of their chairs. So she picked up two boxes, and began to walk.::

Reynolds: Both Ayiana Sevo and Chythar Skyfire set an example that we should all strive to follow, and each suffered injuries in the line of duty. It is Starfleet's, and my personal, honour to recognise your dedication and sacrifice in service to the Federation.

::Quinn passed first by Ayiana, offering the woman a commiserating smile and then her box. All life was precious, but she was aware that the greatest fear of many Trill hosts who served in Starfleet was that their death would also claim the life of the symbiont -- an incalculable loss as far as their society was concerned. For her part, Quinn was just relieved that she hadn't lost a woman she was coming to consider a friend.

::Then it was Skyfire, and she had to force herself to replace a faint frown on her face with a faint smile, as she passed him the box containing yet another star for his existing ribbon. It had been one Purple Heart too many some time ago, and now they were in the realm of far, far too many. She had to wonder if he was just unlucky, or somehow careless with his own health and safety.::

Sevo/Skyfire: response

::Those awarded, she returned to the table and picked up a further five boxes, stacked in a specific order.::

Reynolds: During the events of our last mission, a group of officers had to not just locate a man, but protect him from a very determined attempt to end his life. Their actions ensured his safety, and his testimony has ensured that the Orion Syndicate's hold over Palonon has been broken. ::Broken, but not eradicated. Now wasn't the time to split hairs, however.:: Alucard Vess, Alexander Blair, Chythar Skyfire, Cory Stoyer and Frank O'Malley, it's my pleasure to award you the Lifesaving Ribbon for your actions on the surface of Palanon.

Vess/Blair/Skyfire/Stoyer/O'Malley: response

::She awarded the boxes in the reverse order in which she had named the individuals, bringing her neatly back to Vess and the table of boxes -- the number of which had barely been diminished by the awards distributed thus far. The eagle-eyed among the gathered might notice that they were set upon two trays, one for CO and XO each.::

Reynolds: In recognition that the Orion Syndicate is once again a serious and credible threat to the safety and security of Federation citizens, Starfleet has authorised the creation of new service ribbons to honour those who combat their criminal activities. ::She paused.:: The Gorkon crew is thereby awarded the War of Shadows Ribbon, and the Orion Syndicate Ribbon.

::Tray balanced on her bent arm, Quinn made her way to one side of the room, while Alucard went to the other. They passed out boxes to each person in turn, passing one another in the centre, until everyone had their two ribbons in possession. That done, there were only three boxes left on the table, of a different shape and more dainty size that those containing service ribbons.::

Reynolds: My last duty is perhaps my favourite. Service ribbons recognise individual instances of meritorious actions or behaviour, but a promotion recognises an officer who consistently performs above and beyond the requirements expected of their present rank.

::She picked up the final three boxes, holding them lightly in her hands.::

Reynolds: Frank O'Malley, Hallbjorn Baldursson, you've both done exemplary work, not just over the course of our last mission, but since you graduated from the academy. You've shown that you're an asset not just to your immediate colleagues, but to the ship and Starfleet as whole. As such, it's my great pleasure to promote them to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the rights and privileges that follow.

::She opened each box before presenting it to the new JayGees, who were blessedly sat close to one another, revealing the gleaming pip inside: solid black, ringed with gold. Normally, she'd pin it on their collar, but the informal dress of the occasion didn't allow for it.::

O'Malley/Baldursson: response

Reynolds: Congratulations, to the both of you. Well earned.

::The final box in her hands, she made her last speech of the evening. She hoped it would be a pleasant enough way for many to spend the waning part of their leave, celebrating their successes with friends.::

Reynolds: None of us can deny that we, as a crew, have been through a great deal since the Gorkon was launched. Through it all, Lael Rosek has performed her duties with proficiency and diligence, conducting herself with courage and honour. She has proven that her skills and abilities are far in excess of her current rank, and so I am proud to promote her to the rank of Lieutenant, with all the rights and privileges that follow.

::She presented Rosek with an opened, small black box, a pip of solid gold sparkling in the centre of crimson velvet. She offered the woman a smile, and a light pat on the upper arm -- the closest she ever came to a handshake of congratulations.::

Rosek: response

Reynolds: ::Softly,:: Well done, Lael.

::She led a round of applause for everyone, service ribbon recipients and newly promoted alike. When it began to die down, she addressed the room as a whole.::

Reynolds: Well then, that's all of the time I need to take from you tonight. Enjoy the rest of your evening, everyone!

::On cue, some music began to play. It was a light, inoffensive piece that hailed in composition and performance from the Tyrellians. Conversation began to swell again, as friends and colleagues began to congratulate one another on their accolades.::

--
Fleet Captain Quinn Reynolds
Commanding Officer