[JP] Rear Admiral Reynolds & Lt. Commander Marshall - Shellebrate Good Times (Part II)

Jo Marshall

Jun 24, 2020, 3:31:04 PM6/24/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

((Nahdra Beach, Væron))

Reynolds: Over the course of the last mission, two teams laboured against an array of challenges that included equipment failures, wilderness treks, hostile wildlife and battling the mental influence of malign technologies. Despite difficult circumstances, they conducted themselves with determination, dedication and courage, and played their part in revealing the true nature of Væron's situation. Lieutenant Commanders Neathler and Adea, Lieutenants Stoyer and sh’Qynallahr, Lieutenant Junior Grades Fortune and Moran and Ensign Shryn, we're pleased to award you the Legion of Merit.

Quinn brought her hands together to lead the applause, aware that one of those names was conspicuously absent from the gathering. After leaving her Ready Room, Stoyer's reaction to his demotion had swiftly shifted from a determination to do better to stomping about the ship like a bear with a sore head. She wasn't sure what had gone on in the conversation between him and Jo, and the brief look of thunder on the blonde's face when she'd enquired had said more than enough. It was almost enough to make her regret defying JAG's recommendation to completely leave him out of the commendations, but Quinn hoped it went some way to proving what she'd said to him was true.

Reynolds: Next, we'd like to recognise those officers whose compassion, cleverness and hard work saw many of the miners cured of a deadly spore infection, saving their lives and helping to prevent more infections in the colony. Further, the work you did has laid the foundations for future medics and researchers to cure anyone else who suffers from the same infection. Lieutenant Commanders Marshall and Sevo, and Lieutenants Junior Grade Loxley and Colquhoun, we're proud to present you with the Medical Science and Lifesaving Ribbons.

Marshall: And, on the back of that, while under extreme pressure within the confines of the underground base, Lieutenant Thornton’s team managed to save Ensign Flores from infection and subsequent metamorphosis into… ::she paused, trying to find the right word for them,:: whatever they are, we’re not even sure yet. This act of selflessness and bravery ensured Ensign Flores would be around to breathe another day. For this feat of ultimately preventing the loss of life and rescuing one of our own, we’re elated to present Lieutenants Thornton and ch’Ranni, Lieutenant Junior Grade Namura and Ensign Flores with the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

About to launch into the next clap, Jo remembered she’d missed one in the lineup.

Marshall: Oh, and er, it’s not every day a mission report comes in with the words “doped on chocolate”, but there we go. Lieutenant Junior Grade Namura, you’ve earned yourself an Innovation Ribbon for that slice of a medical marvel.

A huge round of applause rippled out from the front, like the crackle and surge of fireworks scattering through the air. It was hard to believe both teams had spent the time underground, not with the fresh air billowing around on the beach above. Even as she clapped, Jo took the opportunity to take a deep breath of the salty sea air interspersed with the smell of food cooking and the snap of bonfires.

Reynolds: The last of our awards this evening goes to those officers whose courage was remarkable, displaying marked gallantry and heroism in the face of an unknown, implacable foe.

Lieutenant Commanders Marshall and Sevo, Lieutenants Thornton and ch'Ranni, Lieutenants Junior Grade Loxley, Colquhoun and Namura, and Ensign Flores are awarded the Silver Star for their actions under the surface of Væron.

The final round of applause and cheers of the evening echoed across the beach, accompanied by a quiet swell of relief for the Admiral who hated being in the limelight. Still, the smile on her face was sincere, warmed from the inside out to see their accomplishments and bravery publicly acknowledged. Stood beside her, Jo flickered a grin toward her, then ribbed her gently with an elbow, ready to start sitting beside bonfires, spending the evening with good food and better friends.

Reynolds: Raise a glass to each other, celebrate your successes and please enjoy the rest of the evening.

Marshall: Well done, everyone, you’ve earned it!

fin

--

Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer