Fleet Captain Quinn Reynolds - In Appreciation and Wonder

Quinn Reynolds

Sep 9, 2017, 11:49:07 AM9/9/17
to Gorkon (IC)
((Garden Court at the Palace Hotel, San Francisco))

Reynolds: Our mission to Leutra IV was one of science and investigation, but I cannot imagine that any of us could have anticipated the wonder and secrets that the planet held below its surface. For bringing these mysteries to light for further investigation, and for ensuring a peaceful first encounter with the sentient inhabitants of the planet, Starfleet awards the Explorer's Ribbon and the First Contact ribbon to the whole crew of the USS Gorkon.

::She lifted her hands to once again lead the applause. Leutra IV was likely to be one of her fondest missions, reminding her just how amazing and filled with wonderment the universe could be. It had been something she had sorely needed, after the grimness of alternate realities, treachery and betrayals, and attempted assassinations.::

Reynolds: There were several individuals whose clear thinking and clever ideas enabled us to communicate and learn about the planet and its inhabitants. Their ingenuity and skills were essential to the successful outcome of our mission, and if not for them, so many mysteries could have remained hidden. Lieutenant Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grades O’Malley and Marshall, Ensigns zh'Aella and MacMorna, I am proud to award you the Innovation Ribbon.

::A smile, gloved handshake and quiet congratulations was delivered to each of the officers, along with their ribbon. She had been deeply impressed with their cleverness and resourcefulness, and each of them had more than earned the accolade.::

Reynolds: Though he isn't with us today, there was one individual whose remarkable insights and communication skills allowed us to build a rapport with the planet's inhabitants that we might not otherwise have achieved. For that reason, I am pleased to honour Ensign Connan MacMorna with the Diplomacy Ribbon.

::There was a round of applause for the absent crewman, and Quinn let it run. The cheeky Bringloidi and his endless, charming patter had made him a firm favourite among the crew.::

Reynolds: Our final service ribbon presentation is for Lieutenant Commander Trellis Vondaryan, for his actions in the final mission of the USS Za. After you joined us, Captain Rhani asked me to present you with the Explorer's Ribbon, the Prisoner of War Ribbon and the Purple Heart. Starfleet thanks you for your service, and I know I speak for the rest of the Gorkon when I say that I look forward to working with you.

::She smiled at Trellis as she passed him the small stack of presentation boxes, applause from the hall ringing in her ears. He didn't seem too much the worse for wear after his experiences, and she was already valuing his happy-go-lucky presence aboard the Gorkon.::

Reynolds: My last presentations of the evening are perhaps my favourite. Service ribbons recognise individual instances of meritorious actions or behaviour, but a promotion recognises an officer who consistently performs above and beyond the requirements expected of their present rank. I am delighted to say that there are several individuals here present who have done just that.

::She could almost feel the anticipation peak, and she was quite certain that the empaths and telepaths in the room did.

Reynolds: It barely seems like any time at all since Ensigns Bancroft and zh'Aella joined the Gorkon as a new academy graduates. It's clear to everyone that in the time they've been with us, not only have they done exemplary work, they have proven that they're an asset not to their immediate colleagues, but to the ship and to Starfleet as whole. With that in mind, I hereby promote Colleen Bancroft and Sera zh'Aella to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the rights and privileges that follow.

::Walter presented her with a box in each palm, a gold-rimmed pip gleaming the centre of each. With the deft speed of someone who had done it many times before, Quinn quickly and neatly plucked a pip from the box and pinned it to Bancroft's collar, perfectly aligned and spaced to its neighbour. She offered the young woman a nod, handshake and warm smile.::

Reynolds: Congratulations, Lieutenant.

::Then it was zh'Aella's turn. Just as before, Quinn was quick and efficient, and a new pip was sparkling next to its polished companion in no time at all. With a nod and a smile, she offered the Andorian woman a handshake and a smile.::

Reynolds: And congratulations to you too, Lieutenant.

::She stepped away, and smiled once again at the two women as she brought her hands together. The rest of the crew needed no further prompting, and an enthusiastic wave of applause washed over the stage. The crew were proud of the their new JGs, and they had every right to be -- Quinn was quite certain that both Bancroft and zh'Aella had bright futures ahead of them.

::When the applause died down, it was time for her final promotion of the evening.::

Reynolds: The last promotion I have to give this evening is for an individual with a long and honourable service in Starfleet. He is an inspired and capable strategist, and a respected command officer. Time and time again, he has gone above and beyond not just for his crew, and for those in need. Many of us here today owe him our lives. ::She paused.:: For those qualities, and many more, I hereby promote Walter Brunsig to the rank of Captain, with all the rights and privileges that follow.

::She was particularly glad of her gloves at that point, feeling the warmth of Walter's skin through the light cotton as she pinned the new pip to his collar. He kept his chin up, and his gaze at some indeterminate point at the back of the room, and didn't look at her even when she stepped back. Leading the applause, she did notice that it wasn't as loud or lively as it had been for Bancroft and zh'Aella, although it did seem he had a few fans out in the audience.

::Just a few, but perhaps that was enough.

::Her speeches done for the evening, she stepped away from the stage, and Walter once again took the podium, the four pips on his white collar gleaming in the marble-gold ambience of the dining room.::

--
Fleet Captain Quinn Reynolds
Commanding Officer