[JP] Lt. Commander Erin Reynolds and LtJG Jocelyn Marshall - A Brief Moment (Part 2)

Quinn Reynolds

Mar 15, 2018, 7:00:37 PM3/15/18
to Gorkon (IC)

(( Science Labs 20-28, Deck 8, USS Gorkon ))

Marshall: Actually, Sir, there was one more thing.

::In those brief moments Jo had been turned away, Erin acquired a large PADD, though exactly where it had appeared from wasn't clear. She looked up from the screen, still vaguely distracted by its contents.::

E. Reynolds: Mmm?

Marshall: When we get chance, I’d like to take you out. Not like in an assassination way. ::She laughed at her own joke, a little nervously, and Erin grinned.:: Dinner, after shift one evening. Get you re-acquainted with the ship, maybe introduce you to some of the new crew. It might help you get settled in.

::A blush of pink returned to Erin's cheeks, accompanied by a wide-eyed stare. She swallowed, and nearly stumbled over her words as she spoke.::

E. Reynolds: You... want to take me to dinner?

Marshall: I would. Feel free to say no. I know you're busy. ::she held the nape of her neck:: If I've... the Gorkon's only got you for a short time, I want to make the most of it... before your plants try to eat me again.

::The comment summoned a soft huff of laughter from the new science chief, the memory a fond one.::

E. Reynolds: Yeah... you should probably stay out of the botany labs. I brought some along with me.

::She smiled, absently brushing stray strands of now-blonde hair behind her ear. Despite the change in colour, Erin's favoured hairstyle had not got any neater.::

Marshall: I can't help it if I'm tasty to vegetation. ::she chuckled, and glanced down at her boots, crossing her arms:: I'd just like some time to be... us, I suppose. ::her cheeks tinged:: I've missed this.

::Even as Jo was talking, her friend was nodding along, agreeing with her almost every word.::

E. Reynolds: Me too. Ereina's wonderful, but... ::She rubbed her cheek, her smile turning somewhat melancholy.:: Yeah. Me too.

Marshall: ::she inclined her eyebrow with a slight smile:: Can I take that as a yes...?

::The science officer brightened again as she answered, though the sparkle in her eyes didn't quite return to its former brilliance.::

E. Reynolds: Yes.

Marshall: Who else can I reminisce with about the horrors of Mek's attempt at making spaghetti out of cardboard rations? No one needs that kind of torture. Besides, you need to see what Sto'Vo'kor looks like with carpet that we didn't rip out for insulation.

E. Reynolds: I keep having to remind myself the turbolifts work. ::She chuckled.:: One of the engineers gave me a very funny look when I popped out one of the Jefferies tubes.

Marshall: Yeah, I think that was a problem for most of us for a while. Even replicated kale managed to taste decent. ::she shook her head with accompanying eye roll:: The things you don't realise you miss until they're gone.

::And there was that melancholy expression on Erin's face, once again, and an attempt on her part to hide it as soon as she realised it was there. She recalled her smile, a touch lop-sided now, and nodded.::

E. Reynolds: We'll have to make sure we pick something tastier than cardboard spaghetti and kale. I think we've got a couple of days before we break orbit... maybe tomorrow?

Marshall: Sure, I’d like that. ::she smiled, then thumbed over her shoulder:: I better leave you to it before those carnivorous plants of yours start devouring some wandering crewmen. Drop me a message when you can fit me in, Chief.

E. Reynolds: Alright. You'll hear from me soon.

::For a moment, it looked as though she might have something to add. Then she flashed a quick, shy smile and stepped away, though not before saying goodbye with an awkward little wave.::

::Jo watched her go, then chuckled silently at the brief gesture and the fleeting solar flare it sparked somewhere in her chest, realising perhaps just a little too hard that the combination of her friend's open and genuine nature, attached to her shy awkwardness were traits she found terribly attractive in the hybrid Chief of Science.

::She swallowed a little thickly and headed for the doors before she had to kick her own aft section into touch.::

--

Lieutenant JG Jocelyn Marshall

Operations Officer

USS Gorkon