Captain Theo Whittaker: The First Spark

Michael Meir-Wright

Mar 23, 2020, 8:57:40 PM3/23/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Val'Bhaonn, Væron))

Theo and Reynolds reached the threshold of the museum- a low hung but sprawling stone and brick building that seemed to take one entire side of the city square. Above it’s curved entrance were Romulans symbols with a scrolling translation in a variety of other languages- including Federation Standard and tlhIngan Hol. It was a quiet, unassuming monument to the Republic’s desire for peaceful coexistence and friendly relations with its neighbours- a sharp dissimilitude to the Star Empire.

Looking down from the sign and in to the museum proper, Theo could see several Romulans in what appeared to be some kind of hall. They were all garbed in a grey uniform- square and boxy- with a sash down one side in a striking shade of bright green. It reminded Theo of the old Romulan military uniforms in holovids he had watched at the Academy. The difference here was these were clearly more casual.

Whittaker: Shall we?

Reynolds: A little bit of history from the other side? ::She chuckled.:: Why not. It should be interesting.

Whittaker: Response

As if on cue, the group of Romulans turned at the sound of new arrivals. A wave of mixed reactions played out amongst them. Some curious, some pleased, some neutral and some displaying outright hostility. Theo opted to return the reaction with a demure, polite smile. Looking across the small sea of Romulans he guessed that not one of them were younger than 150. These were people in their emeritus years, who had lived lives under an oppressive empire and who had been taught to hate those who lived on the other side of the Neutral Zone. That some would regard the Admiral and his presence with contempt was not surprising. But that some of them were grateful and pleased to see them… that did surprise the SCE Consultant.

Teleth: Welcome! ::He beamed at the the pair, his silken voice pitched a little higher than his broad-shouldered physique might indicate.:: A Starfleet captain and an Admiral. How exciting! Come to see how the other side live, hmm?

A beaming Romulan greeted them with a hearty chortle. A nearby friend or colleague looked almost apologetic, as if this was not an uncommon occurrence. It brought a smile to Theo’s face that turned the corners of his mouth upwards and his eyes sparkled with mirth and silent laughter.

Reynolds: Not to put too fine a point on it, but yes.

Whittaker: Assuming that is no trouble of course, sir.

Given the number of disgruntled looks he and Reynolds were still attracting, Theo had decided not to take anything for granted.

Teleth: I'd be delighted to show you around, give you a Rihannsu perspective on history. Perhaps you could share with me how the Federation sees the events? ::He chuckled again, lowering his voice to revel in mild conspiracy.:: I imagine it's quite different, eh?

Whittaker: A tour would be lovely, thank you. ::he replied, deftly side stepping a potential diplomatic minefield.::

The next thing that Theo knew, the aged but cherry Romulan was guiding them towards an exhibit, pressing one hand in to the small of his back. He managed to exchange an amused glance with Reynolds as they moved.

Teleth: I was in the Star Navy, you know! Wore a uniform a lot like this. ::He grinned, tugging at his tunic.:: But that was a long, long time ago. I'm Teleth, what may I call each of you?

Whittaker: Most people call me Theo. ::he said with another eager smile. He was warming up to Teleth.::

Reynolds: Response.

Teleth: Response.

Whittaker: Are you from Væron, Teleth or did you emigrate? ::he tilted his head ever so slightly, a curious expression on his face.::

Teleth: Response.

Reynolds: Response.

Teleth had guided them to a large painting hanging on the far wall that had been roped off to stop visitors from being able to touch it. It took Theo a moment to realise he was looking at an artist’s interpretation of the destruction of Romulus: a planet breaking apart by the effect of the Hindu Cataclysm, a singular event so devastating that it had nearly hobbled an entire empire. As he looked upon the artwork, the enormity of what the Romulan people- both Imperial and Republican- had gone through in the intervening fourteen years hit him with an intensity he had not expected.

Whittaker: This is…. ::he trailed off, unable to find the words.:: This is… very powerful, Teleth.

Teleth: Response.

Reynolds: Response.

Theo opened his mouth to reply but had no time to form even one syllable before a terrible thunderclap rent the air. He barely had time to turn around to see the entrance demolished by the explosion before its forceful energies knocked him off of his feet and slammed him into the wall that the painting he had been looking at hung on.

Teleth: Response.

Reynolds: Response.

Captain Theo Whittaker

Consultant, Starfleet Corps of Engineers

Attached to: USS Gorkon

simmed by:

Lieutenant Arlo Thornton

Assistant Chief Science Officer