Ensign Samira Neathler - A missed call

Samira Neathler

Nov 20, 2018, 11:03:32 AM11/20/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Crew Quarters - Deck 11 - USS Gorkon ))

:: Hearing someone screaming Samira jerked up in her bed, only to realize the scream she had heard, came from herself. Somewhat confused where she was, she moved and sat down at the edge of her bed staring at her hands. As reality slowly came back to her, she remembered she had skipped her lunch break to get some sleep instead. At least the pounding in her head had stopped. ::

:: After a while she got up, freshened up in the bathroom and returned to the small desk in the shared quarters. She slumped into the chair and only noticed now she had missed a call from her brother, a few hours ago. She stared at the rose, her roommate had placed on the desk. What did Meg call it again? A changeling rose? No it was something else. Samira couldn't remember, nor did she really care either. A rose was a rose, or a plant or something that belonged in a garden, not in someone's quarters. ::

:: She pushed the button on the desk to answer her brother's call, but this time it was her turn to get no reply. She hesitated, yet called for another transmission and took a deep breath while the connection was made. Suddenly the viewscreen came to life. ::

Breanna Neathler: Samira! What a pleasant surprise, I didn't expect a call from you, for at least a few more days.

Neathler: Hello mother. I know, but I was rather surprised to see Marlon had contacted me. I missed his transmission a few hours ago. And normally it's me who's contacting him.

:: Much to Samira surprise, her mother kept quiet for a moment, which was totally unusual for her. ::

Breanna Neathler: You haven't spoken to him?

:: Samira somewhat alarmed by something in her mother's voice, just shook her head, hoping that nothing had happened to her brother. ::

Breanna Neathler: You were the last person on his list, he had to contact.

:: A frown started to show on Samira's forehead. ::

Breanna Neathler: He's off to some secret mission for the next couple of months. And he was prohibited to contact anyone during those months, not even his family. Hence why he tried to contact you before he left.

Neathler: Oh.

:: Samira looked up and stared at the rose, if there had been one person she could have talked to, about what had happened recently, without being laughed at, it had been Marlon and it didn't look like that was going to happen soon. ::

Breanna Neathler: Sammi? Is everything okay?

:: Samira's gaze went from the rose to her mother. She just nodded. Even lightyears away, her mother could still read her like a book. ::

Neathler: I'm fine, mother. Is... :: She hesitated. :: Is father around?

B. Neathler: He's about to leave for work, you want me to call him?

Neathler: :: Shaking her head again. :: No it's ok.

B. Neathler: Sammi. Why don't you just talk to him? You should see the shimmer in his eyes when he tells his friends that his daughter is serving under an Admiral.

:: Samira saw a notification coming up on the deskconsole, seems her presence was requested at the rebuild of the destroyed science lab. ::

Neathler: Maybe next time, mother. I have to get back to work. Can you keep me posted when you hear something from Marlon?

B. Neathler: Contact me in a few days ok?

Neathler: Will do, give my regards to father.

:: Quickly Samira closed the connection and stood up. Oh yeah, her father would be thrilled telling his friends that his daughter had guard duty in some lab while some engineers were in the process of fixing broken consoles and other stuff. ::

:: She walked over to the replicator and ordered a mug of cold banana soymilk, at least that should keep her going for the rest of the day, before she returned to science lab on deck 6. ::

:: Back in her own office, Breanna stood up and walked over to the window staring at the passing stars. She knew something was on her daughter's mind and it didn't bode well that Samira had hardly said a word either. Now she wasn't only worried for her youngest son, who she wouldn't hear from for months, but also for her only daughter. ::

Ensign Samira Neathler
Security Officer
USS Gorkon
G239508SN0