Captain Reynolds - The Ceremony

Quinn Reynolds

Oct 21, 2015, 11:00:10 AM10/21/15
to Gorkon (IC)
(( Holodeck 666, Astrofori One ))

::In the dining room, a small raised platform had been set. In the centre, there was an ornate, dark wood podium for a speaker to stand behind. Seating had been placed around the room, and there was also plenty of place for people to stand -- mostly for the press, she suspected, so that they might have an unobstructed view of the ceremony.

::Everyone had gathered. Ambassadors, the press her crew. All eyes were on the stage, and the Vulcan master of ceremonies was introducing her. After taking a deep breath, she walked onto the stage, a smile plastered onto her face. She didn't have any notes -- possessed of an eidetic memory, she didn't need them -- so she positioned herself behind the podium and after a moment, began to speak.::

REYNOLDS: Welcome to all, our honoured guests, members of the media and Starfleet personnel. We thank you for joining us in our celebrations today.

::She hated speeches. Writing them, giving them, listening to them...::

REYNOLDS: It has been said that quality, in the classical Greek sense, is how to live with grace and intelligence, with bravery and mercy. On their very first mission, untested as a crew, the men and women of the USS Gorkon proved to the galaxy that they have quality. It is my great honour and delight to stand here in front of you all, and formally recognise the remarkable conduct and actions displayed on our most recent mission.

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Cory Stoyer and Lieutenant Junior Grade Rosek, would you join me, please?

STOYER/ROSEK:

::She waited patiently as they made their way up to the platform, offering each of them a faint smile as they took their place beside her.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenants Stoyer and Rosek dealt with a particularly difficult circumstance while aboard the Tharsis. Their away team came under fire while trying to render assistance and repairs, and the senior officer in command was severely injured and incapacitated. Despite this, they managed to continue on in the face of adversity, ensuring the safety of their wounded commander and performing a vital role in the rescue of the Tharsis crew. Accordingly, I am proud to present them with the Captain's Commendation.

STOYER/ROSEK:

::Rather than pin medals to costumes that were not designed to support such things, each medal had instead been placed inside a small, elegant box. To Stoyer and Rosek she each passed one, and offered a gloved hand for a handshake -- as well as a more private smile and a murmured "well done". The awards presented, she led the applause as they returned to the crowd.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Ayiana Sevo.

SEVO:

::Hands clasped gently in front of her, she waited until Sevo had joined her on stage before continuing. She suspected the woman hated being on show as much as she did, and when writing out her speech, she had tried to keep it as short as possible, without demeaning Sevo's contributions.::

REYNOLDS: As the Gorkon's chief of science, it's a given that Lieutenant Sevo is a woman of remarkable intelligence. While participating in the rescue of the Tharsis crew, she also showed great courage and if not for her ingenuity, there would several crew -- including myself -- missing here today. For her actions, I'm honoured to present her with the Good Conduct Ribbon and the Innovation Ribbon.

SEVO:

::She turned to Sevo and smiled apologetically, whispering her private congratulations. Two slender boxes were presented, along with the not-mandatory-but-it-is-really handshake for the press to capture and distribute as they wished.

::After the Trill had returned to her seat, it was the turn of the next crew member.::

REYNOLDS: Ensign Jansen Orrey.

ORREY:

::He was the last of the individual awards, and she smiled at him as he made his way up to the stage. When he was stood next to her, she continued.::

REYNOLDS: As a Starfleet doctor, it is perhaps a given that Ensign Orrey possesses both grace under pressure and quick thinking. What is so remarkable is his ability to apply this skills outside of the medical area, and it was his calm words and courage in combat that saved the lives of an away team. It is my pleasure to present him with the Diplomacy Ribbon and the Purple Heart.

ORREY:

::She smiled at him, giving him a nod, and passed him the two boxes containing his decorations. Once he had returned to the crew, she announced the final award, this time for the whole crew.::

REYNOLDS: One of the precipitating factors of the crisis aboard the Tharsis was an outbreak of a previously incurable illness. Thanks to the efforts of the Gorkon's crew, this illness now has a treatment, and so not only did they save the lives of those aboard the Tharsis, but uncountable lives in the future. This exceptional accomplishment is recognised with the Medical Science Ribbon, awarded to those who participated in the rescue.

::She lifted her hands, holding them out toward the crowd, and led the applause. As much as she hated speeches, she was filled with pride at that moment. How fortunate she was to serve with such people.::

REYNOLDS: I hope you all feel as proud of yourselves as I, and the rest of Starfleet do. Now please, there's plenty of food and drink, and we're delighted to welcome the Taliesin String Quartet, who are providing the music for our celebration.

::Another round of applause, as quartet took a bow. They too were dressed for the evening,  in formal Victorian tailcoats.::

REYNOLDS: Thank you everyone, and enjoy your evening.

::She smiled and nodded, and made her way down from the podium in yet another round of applause. It was over, thank goodness, and she hoped that she had done her crew justice.:

--
Captain Quinn Reynolds
Commanding Officer

T238401QR0