[JP] R. Adml. Reynolds & Lt. JG Marshall - All In (Part II)

1 view

Quinn Reynolds

Apr 21, 2019, 5:42:32 PM4/21/19
to Gorkon (IC)
((Rear Admiral’s Ready Room, Deck One, USS Gorkon))

O. Marshall: And here I thought knocking her out would have been the hardest part. ::A frankly honest admission, though he doubted it would be the last in the slew that had preceded it already. The look of intensity on her face caused a frown to appear on his own.:: What is it?

::She ignored his question, and the only sound in the ready room for a short while were the chirps and chirrups of her computer. Without looking away from her screen, she frowned.::

Reynolds: Where were you taking her?

O. Marshall: An outpost on the edges of the corridor. Disused starbase. ::He glanced the Admiral up and down coolly.::  A good place to hide out until they came to pick her up.

::Finished with her screen, she looked toward him again, once again leaning back in her chair. There was something calculating in her gaze, thoughts whirring behind her hazel eyes as she narrowed them, sizing him up.::

Reynolds: What if I had a way to wipe your slate clean? With the Syndicate and with Starfleet?

::It took a second of a shared, straightened stare until finally, Bear broke, angling an eyebrow at the laced-up Admiral. His hands found the edge of her desk again and he leaned forward.::

O. Marshall: I’m listening.

Reynolds: I'll need to twist some arms. Sienelis will need to be on board. ::She paused, eyeing him.:: And I need to know I'll be able to trust you. You can see why that might be a sticking point.

O. Marshall: I’m an open book. ::He frowned, eyeing her with the same amount of doubt and caution.:: And how do I know I can trust you? What’s stopping you from sending Starfleet after me once we’re on that shuttle?

::Something he said made her smile, eyes delighted, but for just a second. Then she was back to her usual poker face, shaking her head at him.::

Reynolds: You have no idea how much I have on you, do you? ::She paused, but only for a heartbeat.:: Enough that I wouldn't need to waste anyone's time on a ruse like that.

O. Marshall: I had an idea. ::His eye twitched, jaw tense, as though he was trying to chew through his own tongue. A beat of silence passed by until he exhaled his held breath.:: Contrary to popular belief, I haven’t got a death wish. If this is going to get me out from under the Syndicate...

Reynolds: Trustworthy because you have no other options. It's not much, as assurances go. ::She raised her eyebrows at him, then her gaze drifted down in thought.:: I'll need some time.

O. Marshall: I don’t have the luxury of *time*, Admiral.

Reynolds: Find some. ::She glanced back up at him.:: There's an opportunity, but none of it fits neatly together. Contacts need to be spoken to, arrangements have to be made. And to pull this off, I need to find a way to convince Sienelis to go with you.

O. Marshall: “Prison is the alternative” might be the golden phrase. ::He scoffed, arms crossing over his chest once more.:: Fine. I’ll do what I can. See if my contacts on the outpost can put us up for a few days layover.

Reynolds: Prison might be the outcome whatever she does, and therein lies the problem. ::She shook her head, a sour thought expressing itself on her face.:: Lean on your contacts.

O. Marshall: Until they start asking questions. ::He wiped a hand over his face.:: If I make a show of having her, that might keep the wolves from the door. It won’t be for long.

Reynolds: It should be enough.

::She said it without a moment's hesitation. Either she was supremely confident in her own skills, or perhaps it didn't fit so untidily together as she had claimed. Perhaps some combination of the two.::

O. Marshall: It better be, because if it’s not, your Romulan gets picked up by the Syndicate and I get a long walk out of a short airlock.

::Her eyebrows lifted at that, and a glimmer of amusement sparked in her eyes. She answered mild, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.::

Reynolds: Is that a pro or a con?

O. Marshall: Depends how much you like your Romulan.

::It drew a chuckle out of her, and she quirked her head to the side, a smile still lingering on her lips.::

Reynolds: More than I like you.

O. Marshall: Finally something we agree on. ::He half-smiled, briefly, before it slid off.:: I’ll keep her safe.

Reynolds: Then I'll talk to her. ::She hesitated, shaking her head.:: Get to the brig in two hours, and be ready to leave.

::He nodded, a flurry of thoughts trailing behind his eyes, all seemingly centred around where her Admiral pips attached to her collar. A beat passed by before he looked up.::

O. Marshall: And then?

Reynolds: Then we might just get this show on the road.

fin

--
Lieutenant JG Orson Marshall
Logistics and Communications Officer