Lt. Cmdr. Genkos Adea - Dinner Is the Show

Genkos Adea

Mar 5, 2020, 5:45:44 AM3/5/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

((Polar Research Station, Væron))

Caldor slapped his soft, pudgy hands together in an enthusiastic clap. He knew that the Starfleeters were put a little on the back foot by his general gregarious manner; he had  calculated it that way.

Caldor: Well, let us get started then, shall we?

He set off, and the away team followed, Genkos close behind Caldor. Behind him, Cory and Eloise, with Piravao taking up the rear. As they were led deeper into the station, the questions began; Genkos was pleased his team were so quick off the mark.

Moran: Could you tell us about the behavioural changes you've seen?

Stoyer:  Also, could you tell us when it all started?

Caldor chuckled as they trudged down the cold, metal corridors. He rested his hands on his excessive gut as they walked and thought for a moment, one eye slightly closed as he did so. Smacking his lips together, he ran them through what they had encountered

Caldor: About two or three weeks ago ::he waved his hands absent-mindedly as he spoke:: many of the zoological specimens we keep here started displaying violent, aggressive tendencies. The kukek we call Okos mauled one of his handlers, Encle, the one who had raised him here since he was a wee cub. It was only through some quick thinking on the part of yours truly ::he smiled immodestly:: that Encle only lost blood, and not life or limb.

Genkos remembered the kukek from the zoological data they had from the planet - it was native to the polar region of Væron. Not dissimilar to a Terran polar bear, if polar bears had six legs instead of four, and were completely immune to telepathy. They were ferocious in protecting their young, but generally only attacked if provoked or threatened. Why one would suddenly maul his keeper was a mystery.

Adea: ::narrowing his eyes:: And you have absolutely no idea why this might have been?

Moran: If it was something obvious I'm sure you'd have caught it, so it must be obscure.::She glanced again to the other officers.:: Maybe we should start combing through the sensor logs for any deviations from the norm in any area, see if there's any correlations that appear.

Stoyer:  That is as good as a place to start.

Caldor smiled broadly as they continued onwards. He appreciated Moran’s patronising remark about his own abilities to catch anything obvious. It was the typical self-aggrandising attitude of a Starfleet officer. However, there was no reason to rub it in.

Caldor: You are correct, Mister Stoyer. It is not completely impossible ::he continued in his unctious voice:: that we missed some correlations. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Genkos’ eyes widened - this was Sikuna all over again. He swiftly inserted himself into the conversation.

Adea: I’m sure my officers meant no offence, Caldor.

Caldor: ::his eyes cold, but with a warm voice:: None taken, Doctor.

Caldor smiled inwardly - it seemed their leader had some kind of jittery need not to offend. Interesting.

Moran: Response

Stoyer:  Sir, may we know what kind of research is conducted here?

Caldor: You may.

Caldor smiled outwardly this time, trying desperately not to laugh. This was the most fun he’d had in weeks. When it became obvious that Caldor was not going to be forthcoming with any more information, Genkos spoke up.

Adea: What is it that you do, sir?

Caldor smirked at the use of “sir”. Clearly their Lieutenant Commander was nervous...

Caldor: There is a wide variety of polar wildlife on Væron that we study here. Their habitats, habits, the circle of life. That sort of thing.

Moran: Response

sh’Qynallahr: Do you have any live specimens of animals here displaying this unusual behaviour?

Caldor: ::with a semi-morbid pleasure:: Apart from Okos, we have a few other kukek that are sporadically trying to escape their enclosure, the targs that we use as food for them are getting restless, and even the marill mice ::a small polar rodent, not dissimilar to a lemming:: have been taking bites out of each other.

Stoyer/Moran: Response

sh’Qynallahr: Of the animal species displaying unusual behaviour, are any of them considered dangerous?

Caldor: Oh the kukek are incredibly lethal in a confined space, and there are a few other smaller creatures that would take a bite out of you if the mood struck them. ::he mused a moment:: Which it seems it has. Even the marill mice have been trying to kill us slowly.

Stoyer/Moran: Response

sh’Qynallahr: May I see the profiles on the dangerous species? Both prior to the unusual behavior, and any notes regarding changes, physical and behavioural.

Caldor stopped in front of a heavy metal door, and turned to face the group.

Caldor: My, you are raring to go aren’t you, Lieutenant? ::he smirked and shot the Andorian a wink:: Of course you can. They are contained on our computers which are just through this door.

Adea: Thank you for being so welcoming, Caldor.

sh’Qynallahr/Stoyer/Moran: Response

Caldor glanced at the tall, slim doctor and laughed softly, his tongue showing behind gleaming white teeth.

Caldor: Of course, doctor. You are here to help us, so to be obtrusive would be, as my Vulcan cousins might say, illogical…

Without another word, he spun deftly on his heel (impressively so, considering his size and shape) and keyed in a code that caused the heavy door to retract upwards. Beyond was a large room, that was remarkably dim except for the flashing panels of various computer terminals and technological workstations. Dotted around were cages of various sizes, varying from one or two feet, to others that were just large enough to house Toto comfortably. Inside were a variety of creatures, some remarkably similar to animals Genkos was familiar with, others were totally alien. A Romulan scientist waved them over without a word, and pointed wordless to a small cage in front of him.

Toddling over, Caldor led the group over. Inside the cage was a grisly scene - a small rodent, with harsh white fur, short claws and a barbed tail about three times the length of the rest of its body was currently ripping the throat out of another of the same species, whilst his barbed tail raked the creature’s back. The fur of both of them was matted with blood, some already dried - a quick glance around the cage and Genkos saw the remains of at least two other rodents, although with all the gore it was impossible to say how many they started with.

Mercifully Genkos was a doctor, and not squeamish, otherwise the scene might have caused him to be violently ill. However, there was something incredibly distressing about the look in what was now the only remaining rodent’s eyes. It was hard, fierce and… crazed..?

Adea: ::softly:: By the four...

sh’Qynallahr/Stoyer/Moran: Response

Caldor: ::the rich, fruity voice they were used to was gone, and in its place a much lower, contemplative voice remained:: And that, my starfleet friends, is what you have to contend with.

sh’Qynallahr/Stoyer/Moran: Response

Lieutenant Commander Genkos Adea MD

Chief Medical Officer & Second Officer

USS Gorkon