Lieutenant Arlo Thornton - Cold And Damp

Michael Meir-Wright

Mar 4, 2020, 4:22:43 PM3/4/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Geology Laboratory - USS Gorkon))

Arlo was still staring at the holographic representation of the mine when Ensign Lan made his swift exit, having been called to Main Engineering. She knew that it was a futile hope but she had convinced herself that the more she looked at the translucent hologram floating about the primary console of the Geology Laboratory, the sooner that whatever was causing the sensor dampening effect would reveal itself.

oO But am I going to like what we find? Oo ::she asked herself, ignoring the shiver of apprehension that travelled up and her spine and in to the base of her neck, causing the hairs there to stand on end.:: oO Whatever that is, is not naturally occurring. The dimensions of the blackout zone are too symmetrical. Oo she traced the edge of the dead zone with her eyes. oO Which begs the question… what is somebody trying to keep us from finding? Oo

The fact that the dead zone had appeared two days before the first Federation miners had gone missing was not a coincidence, at least not to Arlo. Though she could not yet quantify her theory with empirical evidence , the timing of the dead zone being registered in relation to the missing persons reports being filed was too… too perfect.

oO Focus, Arlo! Oo ::she chastised, realising that she was looking at bigger problems rather than the one that she and ch’Ranni had been assigned to investigate. oO First thing is first- we need to know what is going on down there. We can’t do that without taking readings. And we can’t take readings without sensors. Oo

The path out of the bigger picture cleared, like parting branches in a forest forming a leafy glade.

Thornton: Another question for you: is there any way that we can rig a tricorder to break through whatever is causing the dead zone so that we can take readings?

Arlo looked away from the hologram to the Gorkon’s Operations Chief. Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of somebody else- but thinking that it was probably a members of the earth sciences department going about their duties, she did not pay them much heed. It took ch’Ranni several seconds to answer her and when he did there was an unmistakable tremor of uncertainty in his voice.

ch’Ranni: Well, I suppose the best option would be to alternate between an active and passive scan. If we linked two tricorders together we could do a simultaneous scan of the area.

His logic was sound. Where one tricorder might not work, two tricorders linked together and alternating scanning settings might have more luck. Twice the scanning capabilities, twice the onboard memory, twice the chance it could break through the dampening effect. But even so, she knew the range would be limited. They would still be stumbling around in the proverbial dark. But at least it was something.

Thornton: How long would it take to make the modifications?

ch’Ranni: ::running through the steps in his head and then piping up confidently:: Two hours.

She was about to give the go ahead for the Andorian to begin the modifications when she was interrupted. She turned her head to see who the interloper to their conversation was. Stood before Arlo and ch’Ranni was an officer that she felt she recognised, wearing a uniform much like hers, only one pip was black witha gold border. Her eyebrows were gently arched and her eyes shimmered with a light jade. Her hair was dark brown and lustrous. The woman cut an imposing figure in the Geology Laboratory.

Namura: Would it need a close radius for it to work? To determine what kind of resistance it is and find a way around it?

ch'Ranni: Definitely. The effective scanning range would only be a few hundred meters. We would need to be right on top of it. Lieutenant Jona ch'Ranni, by the way.

Thornton: Lieutenant Arlo Thornton. ::she said simply, before adding.:: And you are…?

Namura: Doctor Namura, sir. ::The lift of a flawlessly polished eyebrow.:: Someone determined you need a Doctor and apparently, I'm the only one available.

Namura. She had heard the name before although she was unsure were. What she did know is that Doctor Namura had been present at Caedan Nkai’s birthday celebration, Arlo having seen engaged in conversation with the man of the hour, Captain Whittaker a mortified-looking Commander Sevo.

Thornton: Glad to have you with us. ::she replied with a smile, not missing even the smallest beat.::

ch'Ranni: At this point I think we'll take whatever help we can get.

Arlo nodded in agreement. Without the ability to scan what they were walking into, they would be doing so effectively blind. Of all places that she did not want to travel to without some idea of what would await them, a mine on a politically sensitive planet was high on that list. Given the fact that the mines were extensive and deep- they would be out of contact with Gorkon for an extended period of time.

oO Such fun… Oo ::she thought to herself sarcastically.

Namura: I have to say, I'm hoping for something particularly disease-ridden; imagine, miners suddenly overcome by a brain parasite that lives in the furthest reaches of the mine, influencing the host to do all manner of things. ::The kind of expression that resembled a child excited for Christmas dawned.:: Wouldn't that be something?

Arlo did not reply immediately, her words robbed by the strange and disturbing comments from the newly arrived medical officer. The unnaturally excited expression on the woman’s face was perhaps most perturbing of all. It was as though she about to open a particularly large and expensive birthday gift. Except that gift was apparently a lethal brain parasite….

oO What the h- Oo ::her silent exclamation was cut short by ch’Ranni who apparently had no difficulty in expressing his confusion and mild horror.

ch'Ranni: oO Gods, what have we gotten ourselves into now. Oo Um, excuse me?

Thornton: Sorry to…. disappoint you, Doctor. ::she said finally, still disturbed that anybody would be disconcerted by a lack of violent death and head worms. Clearing her throat and her mind she coughed a little dramatically and then looked to ch’Ranni.:: Lieutenant, start working on those tricorders. Doctor Namura, what kind of medical equipment could we possibly need for an underground hike? What the typical hazards we might face?

She had emphasised the word ‘typical’ to dissuade the seemingly… eccentric medical officer from divulging any more about brain parasites or cave worms that burrow through one's feet.

oO Whoa, where did that come from? Oo ::she thought, her eyes not leaving Namura.

Namura: Response

Thornton: Alright, get on it- and let’s just hope that we don’t run in to any brain eating parasites.

She didn’t bother to hide the fact that she blanched.

((Time Jump))

((Mineshaft #7-Baker - Federation Mine - Væron))

((Several Hours Later))

Half an hour into the magrail ride through nondescript and poorly lit tunnels, Arlo was pining for the surface. Væron might have been a political hellhole as tensions rose- but she would have gladly swapped her surroundings if it meant she wasn’t cold and increasingly damp. Moisture hung in the air, slapping her across the face as the magrail descended deeper in to the twisting maze of the Federation mine.

As she, Namura and ch’Ranni sat in silence, she tried to focus on the salient details of the mission- if only to stop herself from remonstrating on the fact that she had drawn the short straw when it came to away team assignments. oO Find whatever is causing the dead zone and establish whether it is causing miners to disappear. Oo It had become a mantra in the last half an hour.

Eventually, the magrail began to slow down and minutes later it came to a stop at the end of its track. Ahead of them lay a dimly lit, cold tunnel that stretched on and on until darkness claimed it. Illuminated by roughly and crudely placed orange light rigs, it was a pallid and depressing view- one that she knew she had better get used to.

The maglev driver, a surly middle aged Bajoran with a waist that had been expanding for some time- and who had been silent from the moment they met- turned and spoke over his shoulder run gravelly tones that perfectly communicated the fact that he had not wanted to be their chauffeur.

Miner: End of the line.

Arlo blinked in surprise. She had not expected to reach the dead zone- or a proximate location- for another half hour. It was, after all, more than two kilometres beneath the surface.

Thornton: We’re at the dead zone already? oO How fast was he driving?! Oo

Miner: What yer talking about? That’s another kilometre beneath us, love. This is where the magrail end. Ain’t installed tracks further than here. The Rommies don’t like it.

After a moment to offer whatever gods the Romulans prayed to a vitriolic and offensive curse, she looked at her fellow Starfleet officer.

Thornton: You heard him, grab your gear.

ch’Ranni/Namura: Response.

They disembarked and without so much as waiting for a thank you, the Bajoran put the magrail in to reverse and sped off back the way he came. Nobody said anything until long after the clattering sound of it had faded into ether.

Thornton: Charming guy.

ch’Ranni/Namura: Response.

Thornton: We’ll probably arrive at the dead zone in what… an hour? an hour and a half?

ch’Ranni/Namura: Response.

Thornton: Keep your eyes peeled for anything unusual.

ch’Ranni/Namura: Response.

Lieutenant Arlo Thornton

Assistant Chief Science Officer

USS Gorkon