LtJG Alexander, Mark Four EMH, & LtCmdr. Skyfire: Recovering, Part I

Dassa Alexander

Dec 27, 2016, 12:28:08 AM12/27/16
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

OOC: Takes place after Dassa’s “Up Sh** Creek”

OOC2: Takes place after Skyfire + Mark “In Good Hands”

((Sickbay, USS Gorkon))

::Mark was making his rounds. His first patient on the list was Dr. Skyfire, who had been sleeping off the last mission in sickbay on his own volition because he didn’t trust himself wandering the corridors with his balance issues. Devlin was brought in and was asleep on his master’s chest. Once the hologram was satisfied CD wouldn’t be waking up any time in the next five minutes, he made his way around the room to Dr. Alexander.::

::Dassa slowly became aware of herself groaning at the throb in her head. At first, she felt disoriented...like she was underwater. She tried to open her eyes, but the bright light made her immediately regret it. She snapped them shut again, massaging her temples. A voice nearby caused her to open them again, though more slowly. Her eyes gradually became accustomed to the light until they were able to focus and she turned her attention in the direction of the voice.::

Mark: Feeling any better, doc?

Alexander: ::smiles wanly:: Hi, Mark. A little, yes.

::It took a moment for it to register that it was Mark treating her.::

Alexander: ::frowns:: Where’s Lieutenant Commander Skyfire?

::The hologram moved aside and nodded towards Chythar’s biobed.::

Mark: See the beagle? He won’t be going anywhere for a bit.

Alexander: ::eyes widen:: Is he all right?

::The hologram gave a shrug. He’d reviewed the CMO’s records, and wasn’t entirely sure how to answer. Chythar was non-responsive to verbal queries when Mark was activated after their return.::

Mark: Maybe? I saw him fidgeting with an osteoregenerator when you all got back, trying to treat his hearing again. Guessing now it’s past the point where that’d work.

::Dassa frowned. She’d seen the notes in his records. Something about explosions…::

Alexander: If the regenerator isn’t working, he’ll probably need a more invasive procedure, won’t he?

Mark: Yeah. When I last spoke to him on the subject after the return from hell, he mentioned surgery. EARS implants in both ears.

::Dassa grimaced. Losing one’s hearing was never good and had lifelong consequences. She’d worked with a child patient during her residency that had been deaf from birth. With all the genetic screening these days, it was rare that a child with that kind of deficit survived until birth.::

Alexander: Do you know who’ll be performing the surgery?

::Again, another shrug. Mark went to a console and accessed the roster, glancing at it with a quizzical curiosity which he picked up from Chythar. A brow raised as he read the names aloud.::

Mark: Either Hiro Rakujia, or you. Possibly Dr. Vess, but he is no longer listed on the surgical rotation.

Alexander: ::nods:: Is it down to Lieutenant Commander Skyfire’s preferences?

Mark: Those are just the names on the list of qualified individuals capable of performing the procedure. I’m just an EMH, so while I know how to do it I lack the practice. I suppose the next step would probably be to ask him. ::He paused, not sure how to finish that statement.:: Since I can’t get his attention, you might have to.

Alexander: Shouldn’t I be cleared for duty first?

Mark: ::nodded and began a scan with the tricorder:: Yeah. Any residual pain or odd sensations besides the light sensitivity?

Alexander: ::pauses and frowns:: My empathic senses seem to be nullified for the moment...possibly residual from the Orion pheromones I was exposed to. They’ve always hit me harder than most other women.

Mark: Noted. Your phaser burns and bruises seem to have healed well.

Alexander: ::rubs her shoulder and nods:: Only a little soreness.

::The hologram nodded again and made a few fingerswipes on the console next to him.::

Mark: Then you’re cleared for work. Try to get some rest after you talk to Cmdr Skyfire before agreeing to surgical stuff, alright?

Alexander: ::nods and grabs a couple of PADDs from a nearby counter:: I will. Thank you, Mark.

::She then moved to where Chythar was resting, Devlin laying on his chest.::

::The little canine woke up first, and panted softly as he gave a soft yip of greeting. It looked like she needed to talk to his master, so he rose to his paws and started walking around on his master’s chest before padding to his face and giving a gentle lick to the face.::

Devlin: ::to Dassa:: oO Hi Doc! Oo ::then to Chythar:: oO Master? Oo

::Chythar opened his eyes slowly and lifted the canine into his lap as he sat up. His hearing was still messed up, so he didn’t hear her approach. Fortunately, his four-pawed warning system alerted him to her presence.::

::Dassa smiled at Devlin, scratching the pup behind the ears.::

Alexander: ::coos:: Who’s a good boy? You take such good care of your daddy, don’t you?

::The beagle gave her a gentle head-butt to the hand, leaning up into the petting. Chythar nodded towards the devices in her hand, wondering if that was how they’d be having this chat.::

Alexander: ::speaks slowly:: How well can you read lips? ::hands him a PADD::

::He understood the question, at least. Then typed out a response on the tablet.::

Skyfire: //Okay at it. Not completely fluent. May miss a word here and there.//

Alexander: //Would it be better if I used the PADD?//

Skyfire: //Whichever’s easier. As long as you speak slowly I should be able to keep up.//

Alexander: ::nods:: Let me know at any time if you want to switch to the PADD.

::He nodded and petted the canine with his free hand as she continued.::

Alexander: Your middle ear and your eardrum were damaged in the blast.

::He blew a strand of hair from his face as if to say ‘duh’, but the words on his tablet were more descriptive and an abridged summary of the street fair shenanigans.::

Skyfire: //I know. Imagine tunnel-running like that and having to inject yourself with more pain killers to keep up. Played the part of the drunk, then a bolt of disruptor fire hit the wall just next to the ear. Missed me, but couldn’t hear it impact the wall. Stumbled back here.//

::Devlin just quietly enjoyed the company provided by the doctors, his tail wagging happily as he lay on CD’s lap panting softly.::

Alexander: ::grimaces:: I’m sorry. That sounds awful. Guess I got off easy. Just a few burns and bruises. The Orion pheromones have scrambled my empathic senses, but hopefully it’s just temporary. ::studies his chart:: This isn’t the first time you’ve damaged your hearing?

---

LtJG Dassa Alexander

Medical Officer

USS Gorkon