Captain Reynolds - Awards, Awards, Awards

Quinn Reynolds

Jan 18, 2016, 11:27:41 AM1/18/16
to Gorkon (IC)
(( Ready Room, USS Gorkon ))

REYNOLDS: Captain's log, stardate 239301.18.

::Sat on the couch in her ready room, Quinn sipped at a warm cup of genmaicha. Thin streaks of light streamed past the viewport, and even if she hadn't been able to see that they were cruising at warp, the veteran Starfleet officer could sense the almost imperceptible vibration of the deck plates.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Sevo informs me that our initial survey of the Alpha Chionus system was a success. I'm inclined to agree with her, and not just in terms of the scientific discoveries that we made. After the disastrous awards ceremony, it was good to see the crew have the opportunity to relax and have a little fun.

::She put the tea down on the table and pushed up to her feet, wandering over to the viewport as she continued talking. She was feeling restless, and she couldn't put her finger on exactly why.::

REYNOLDS: With the initial survey complete, we're putting into port on Astrofori One to resupply and let off some of the scientists and passengers we had aboard.

::She paused. She couldn't decide if it was relief or regret she felt at the thought of Walter disembarking. As time passed, she was leaning -- or being dragged -- toward the conclusion that their relationship was beyond all hope of repair. Perhaps it was time to let it go and move on.

REYNOLDS: After that, I'm told we have another survey mission -- a nebula, this time. Some peculiar transmissions have been detected, so it's been bumped up the priority list and we'll be heading out to investigate.

::If she was honest, she was a little surprised that a ship like the Gorkon was being used in such a manner. She didn't mind -- honestly, she preferred it -- but she'd expected something different when being handed a Sovereign class.::

REYNOLDS: But before any of that, I have some commendations to give. And for anyone up top listening to this -- I'm never doing a public awards ceremony again.

(( Later: Conference Room ))

::The previous day, Quinn had asked her yeoman to send out a message to the senior officers, asking them to assemble in the conference room. She arrived early, as she was wont to do, and spent the time waiting with her head buried in a PADD and sipping on a cup of tea. To one side of the long table was a series of small boxes, some along, some neatly piled in twos or threes.

::When the last arrival had seated themselves, Quinn put the PADD down and looked up, waiting for the idle chatter to quiet.::

REYNOLDS: I hope you all found our survey mission a bit more relaxing than the party on Astrofori One.

ANY:

REYNOLDS: Quite. Before we put that entirely behind us, Starfleet Command and myself felt that many of you deserved commendations for your actions during that incident. Now I know that I lot of you have expressed sentiments for something far less… ostentatious… when it comes to receiving service ribbons, so here we are.

::She never knew what order to present these things in, so today she had opted for something simple: descending rank and in groups whenever possible. She stood, straightened her uniform and took a breath, speaking the first name on her mental list.::

REYNOLDS: Commander Vess? ::She waited for him to approach, then offered him two small boxes.:: A holodeck hedge maze is hardly supposed to be the stuff of nightmares, and yet the one you encountered truly was. For your cool head and leadership while your team were trapped in the hedge maze, and the injuries you received therein, I hereby award you the Good Conduct Ribbon and the Purple Heart.

VESS:

::She smiled at him. She was never entirely sure what to make of Vess, if she were honest. He seemed open and gregarious, but he played his cards close to his chest. As he sat back down, she turned to the next recipient.::

REYNOLDS: Commander Brunsig. ::She kept her face carefully neutral as he approached, the professional captain who wasn't dreading the next few moments. His face was equally stoic, the only sign of any emotion were the muscles in his jaw working.:: Thanks to you, I'm still here. For putting yourself in harm's way to save my life, Starfleet awards you the Silver Star, the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon and the Purple Heart.

::He didn't say a word as he was handed the three small boxes, only answering with a curt nod of his head. Once he had returned to his seat, she looked to her first officer.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Commander Skyfire. During the chaos inside the mansion, you took an injury courtesy of a corrupted hologram. For that, I present you with the Purple Heart.

::Presenting him with the box, she offered him a slightly awkward smile. Purple Hearts were such a peculiar award, and she never really knew what to say. "Congratulations on getting maimed!" wasn't the stuff dreams were made of.::

SKYFIRE:

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Commander Tam. ::Kael's eyebrows shot to the top of his head as his name was called, and it was with a genial, bemused expression that he made his way to the front.:: You conducted yourself admirably while trapped in the hedge maze, helping your team deal with the hazards inside. Not only that, but with virtually no resources to hand, you helped save the life of another officer. For those actions, I give you the Good Conduct Ribbon and the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

TAM: Thank you, Captain. ::He smiled at her, taking the boxes she passed to him.:: Just doing my job.

::She nodded, managed a smile, and waited for him to take a seat. Then she turned to the senior security contingent.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Dar, would you come up? ::She smiled a little wider at the Bajoran woman, and presented her with a box once she had finished the short journey.:: You also performed your duties with admirable skill and dedication when trapped inside the hedge maze. For that, I'm pleased to award you with the Good Conduct Ribbon.

DAR:

::Dar was quiet and serious, two traits the women shared. Quinn rather liked the Bajoran woman, and she was pleased to be able to recognise her actions with the award.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenants Sevo and Stoyer and Lieutenant Junior Grade Lupo. ::She picked up three boxes as the three officers approached, then passed them out one-by-one as she spoke.:: Thanks to your quick thinking and versatile use of technology, we were able to save the occupants of the Cardassian Embassy. For that, I'm pleased to award you the Innovation Ribbon.

SEVO/STOYER/LUPO:

::The three had seriously impressed her with the way they had worked together to free the Cardassian victims, and the award was very well deserved in her eyes.::

REYNOLDS: Lieutenant Junior Grade Orrey. ::Her smile turned a little more warm, and a little more awkward when Jansen approached her.:: A replication of Victorian England is hardly the best place to practice medicine, even less a manor garden. Yet you did just that, saving the life of a Starfleet officer in the process. For that, you're honoured with the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

ORREY:

::It was the closest she would get to a thank you for saving Walter's life. She hoped he knew she was grateful.::

REYNOLDS: Ensigns Shapiro and  Lang. ::She waited while the pair approached her.:: Neither of you had an ideal start to your career on the Gorkon, but you both proved why you are Starfleet officers and hit the ground running. Unfortunately, you also both received an injury while doing so, and so today I'm presenting you with the Purple Heart.

SHAPIRO/LANG:

REYNOLDS: Well, that's everyone. Congratulations, everyone -- you did an amazing job in difficult circumstances. ::She offered a brief smile.::

ANY:

--
Captain Quinn Reynolds
Commanding Officer