JP:Lieutenant Junior Grade Jansen Orrey & Lieutenant Commander Cythar Skyfire - How Did I Miss That?

Jansen Orrey

Jan 4, 2016, 12:01:13 AM1/4/16
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

JP:Lieutenant Junior Grade Jansen Orrey & Lieutenant Commander Cythar Skyfire - How Did I Miss That (Part I)

(( Counselor’s Office, USS Gorkon ))

:: Chythar rang the chime and waited. He hated what had happened on the last mission, specifically his failing to notice at least two members of his team were injured (apart from himself) before they left the station to go rescue people. As a doctor, it was a personal and professional failure. As first officer...he didn’t want to talk about it, but he was here because he needed to be. Any mission seemed to make counseling mandatory, either because of his abilities or because of some other thing that necessitated it. ::

Orrey: ::Jansen looked up from the PADD in front of him in his new office. He hadn’t had time yet to arrange things as he liked but as per Starfleet regulation there was no rest for the wicked. With a bit of a smile he answered the chime.:: Come.

:: As he entered the room, the stiff red collar got unbuttoned as he had a seat across from the desk. The counselor, Jansen Orrey, was the eighth since CD left the academy, and the first officer took a deep breath before opening his mouth. ::

Skyfire: You left a message you wanted to see me after finding the AAR with my name on it, right?

Orrey: Commander yes, would you like something to eat or drink? ::Jansen stood and moved toward the replicator watching his guest for his reply.::

Skyfire: Mint tea, if you would.

:: As much as he wanted and loved raktajino, it never helped him when he was in the counselor’s office. It was always better for him to have tea in such circumstances, because relaxing was something counselors were supposed to help do. ::

Orrey: Ah another tea  person! Wonderful. Already off to a good start then. ::Jansen smiled and punched in the commands, preferring the display to the voice commands in the counseling office. Once he had the pair of drinks he moved back over to the desk and handed the mint tea to Skyfire.:: I have to say it is something of an honor to serve with you. I read the journals about the Skyfire Cure.

:: That was the second mention about the Skyfire Cure he’d gotten in...he took the glass as he counted in his head...a year and a half. The mention of it made his brows knit together in surprise, wondering if the subsequent report on the Cardassian variant, which was engineered by Maquis Reborn, was also something that Jansen had read. ::

Skyfire: Did you get around to reading the second part about the Cardassian variant at DSX last year? :: sipped his tea. ::

Orrey: I did. ::Jansen settled in and sipped from his own cup of genmaicha softly.:: But I am almost certain my medical certifications aren’t what you came by to talk about?

Skyfire: We’ll discuss that at another point, I’m sure. :: He paused and had another sip of his drink, attempting to formulate words. :: The report, and the bit about the terrorist conversation I had before we headed off to rescue the rest of Ensign Lang’s transport. How did I miss that? Failure on my part? :: He was referring to the two injured crew, specifically Lang and Shapiro. The latter did rejoin the rescue effort after receiving treatment. The former did not. :: Or was I too focused and it was an oversight? I mean, I’m a doctor also… :: Anger was rising within him, and he had the hint of his Scots-Irish accent to his words. As soon as he recognized this, he stopped talking and sipped his drink again. ::

Orrey: I think that in the process of command, especially when a mission goes the way we did with this last one, it is possible to focus on the little things yes. That bothers you though? To have an oversight like that?

Skyfire: Injuries, as you can attest, are not “little things.” I mean, I was fighting a busted rib the entire time, and ignored it in favor of getting the job done. Somehow I missed the fact two of my crew were injured, and I continued assigning teams without any heed to the consequences. :: He paused again and set his drink on the desk. :: Damn right that oversight bugs me. Personal and professional failure, right?

Orrey: Not at all. Think about what you said. You had a serious injury yourself, but you understood the importance of the mission. Also you had been going full tilt all night, hadn’t you?

Skyfire: :: raised his eyebrow in Vulcan fashion. :: Since the party, you mean? Before I got mauled by the zoo specimen?

Orrey: Since we found the envoy in the library and you became aware of it. You started then going immediately into “work mode”. Yes?

:: CD nodded quietly, thinking it’d probably just be better to listen without speaking. He still felt the anger within him, and tried to relax. Orrey seemed to know his trade but the fact that it was yet another counselor didn’t make it any easier. Counselors and him didn’t get along very well since the Invicta. ::

Orrey: ::Jansen took a sip of his drink.:: Your file shows a long history of counselors. I wonder if you could tell me about each of them? So that I can see a little of what they had been working with you on. ::Jansen had as long as if not a bit longer history of counseling in his own file. Truth be told the first counselor Jansen worked with in the Federation was a current presidential candidate so he had seen his share of different techniques over the years.::

Skyfire: Oh gosh, that’s...that’s a long list. You sure you want the history of all seven of your predecessors?

:: The list was indeed long, and he hoped, for his own sanity, that Jansen had the patience to listen to the whole nine yards, or in this case...seven. Since he had to go through each one and the work they were doing. ::

Orrey: ::Jansen smiled and took another sip.:: I don’t have any appointments for a while, and more patience than a Brikkar.

:: The last part made Chythar chuckle slightly, but only slightly. He had another sip of his tea before setting it back on the desk. ::

Skyfire: Ryoji Chibitsu. Counselor throughout the academy. When I got stressed, I’d panic and write in one of the eight languages I know. I wouldn’t remember writing it in, say, Greek, where each language was assigned an indicator of how stressed I was. Mandany Rose, counselor on Starbase 118. She was helping me understand how not to set off every Betazoid on the station, as at that time nobody actually took me seriously and I tried to relieve my boss of duty on my first day. :: He paused again and took a breath. ::

::Jansen nodded his head and continued to listen quietly as he leaned back in his chair.::

Skyfire: :: counted off a third finger as he continued. :: Sal Taybrim, counselor on the Excalibur. Helped me understand emotions after the original Skyfire Virus mess on Argurtha, followed by later helping me get a grip on my abilities as a telepath and empath. Adopted as brother of choice. :: There was a pause, and he looked to Jansen with a head-tilt to the left. :: Do I need to explain that after I get through the list?

Orrey: ::Jansen smiled a little and shook his head.:: No no, I did my homework I promise.

:: CD nodded and continued, counting out a fourth finger. ::

Skyfire: Ceilidh Riverview. Excalibur. One session, and mostly anger at the fact she was a counselor. Didn’t work on much of anything. :: counting out a fifth. :: Raissa Moonsong. Counselor on Garuda and Invicta. Helped me gain a better understanding of why I hate you people… :: He paused and corrected himself :: ... why I hate counselors. Helped with some shielding and emotional control, and became my adopted sister of choice. :: Pause, sip of tea, then in his free hand makes a fist before holding up a single digit. :: Talia Kaji, USS Columbia. One session. She claimed she’d help me gain more control over my abilities before I became a danger to people. I left on a transfer to here before we could get to that, and my abilities are currently...not as useful at the moment as my telepathy is shot. :: He paused again and held up a second digit. :: And seven, Dr. Chandur. Couldn’t make her out. Was mostly storytelling about my hatred for Azin, the :: curse in Klingon :: that was responsible for my genetic rewrite and the abilities therein. And now you.

Orrey: I may ask you your opinion of me a little later then. ::He nodded his head a single dip and then tilted it slightly to the left.:: Why is it you have a dislike of counselors?

Skyfire: The ones I liked are now gone. Sal left the Excalibur to transfer to the Darwin, then came back just before I got transferred to the Garuda. Ris I met on the Garuda, and worked with her regularly until my transfer to the Columbia. Soon as I find one I like, they leave or I do because of :: Russian curse :: Starfleet Brass. :: Pause and sipped his tea again. :: I hate transfers too.

::Jansen looked thoughtful for a moment and nodded his head.::

Orrey: And you don’t like the person that was responsible for your genetic rewrite.

Skyfire:  Nope. Even though it’s not listed in my file, counseling is considered mandatory for me after every single bloody mission because I still don’t have a grip on my gift. It’s not a curse, it’s a gift. I accept that. Just only halfway useful to me right now. :: He paused and studied the counselor for a moment. :: You seem calm and fine with the fact that I don’t like your role, but you are also projecting an aura of curiosity. Other than that, I have no idea what you’re thinking.

Orrey: ::Jansen offered a wink.:: I have to have some surprises now don’t I? Your gift that only sparingly works also upsets you doesn’t it?

:: Unlike most counselors he’d had to explain this to, Jansen seemed calm. Curious, and something else: interested. Ris displayed a similar level of interest, and helped him come to grips with the fact it wasn’t a curse. The interested ones usually had a trick or two up their sleeves, but the fact that Chythar’s empathic sense was the only half which was working right now was indeed a source of frustration. ::

Skyfire: Yeah. If Quinn does ever need my help with the telepathy thing...I can’t do it right now. That bugs me. Empathy, not a problem at the moment. Telepathy is shot, and I want it back. Ever since the mess with Akee… :: He paused. He didn’t know how much of that he could talk about. :: Sorry...classified stuff. Basically, I overextended my telepathy and can’t use it now because it’s like a sprain, I guess. :: He didn’t remember all the fancy words Alucard used earlier to describe it. ::

Orrey: So, if I am following you right at the moment….You don’t like the choice you made in the mission. You don’t like Counselors. You don’t like not having your telepathy. You don’t like transfer orders. You don’t like Azin. Sound right so far? A little condensed I know but….

:: CD nodded, as the man seemed to have it right on all counts thus far. There seemed to be more, because of the lingering ‘but’ at the end. Another sip of tea, followed by another slow breath. ::

TBC

A JP BY:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Lieutenant Junior Grade Jansen Orrey M.D.

Counselor

USS Gorkon

O238506JO0

&