[JP] Lt. Commander Erin Reynolds and LtJG Jocelyn Marshall - A Brief Moment (Part 1)

Jo Marshall

Mar 15, 2018, 6:55:19 PM3/15/18
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

(( Science Labs 20-28, Deck 8, USS Gorkon ))

::Arriving at the Science Labs earlier than she thought she would, and thankfully not nursing a feeble Human hangover in need of a potassium drip this time, Jo entered the domain and took a furtive look around. Officers were mulling around; the change of shift meant handing over projects, micro briefings, and mugs of a certain stimulating substance. Science had never really agreed with her. While she could do science when she had to, her brain didn’t think along those lines; it was technical, always looking for workarounds and quick wins.::

::Some of the attending scientists had nodded her way when walking into their lab for their mornings' work, probably wondering why she would be just standing around checking a PADD every few moments. No one had alerted security either yet, which was a good sign; at least she didn’t look like she was about to steal a live tissue sample and grow a new organ for kicks in her quarters.::

E. Reynolds: Hello.

::Jo's gaze snapped up to the familiar voice and immediately frowned in confusion at the hybrid officer standing in front of her. She took it all in; blue uniform, two gold pips and a black one on her collar, blonde hair, hazel eyes, a constellation of freckles on her nose, a recognizable uptick in her own heartbeat... but Erin shouldn't be there, she should be on the Ark. For once, the young woman was at a loss for words.::

Marshall: Hey... ::she swallowed, then, regaining the power of speech, looked at her friend quizzically:: Did I… did I drop into another parallel universe?

E. Reynolds: Not recently. ::She smiled.::

Marshall: The blonde looks lovely. It really brings out your eyes...

::Someone cleared their throat as they walked past, pulling Jo out of her momentary reverie and back onto the deck she stood on.::

Marshall: Sir. ::she added, for any prying ears:: It really brings out your eyes, Sir. ::she smiled:: Welcome on board... again. And in blue, no less.

E. Reynolds: The Admiral asked me to fill in while she finds a new science chief. ::She absently brushed her fingers against the collar.:: The promotion was a bit of a surprise.

Marshall: Not undeserved though. ::she bit her bottom lip, smile still there:: Congratulations, Commander. It's good to see you.

::Erin smiled at her, ducking her gaze as a faint flush crept onto her freckled cheeks.::

E. Reynolds: It's good to be seen.

::There was a tiny stretch of silence that spanned between them until Jo remembered why she was in there.::

Marshall: Official business time. ::she exhaled a laugh and brought up her PADD:: Science hasn’t checked in on all fronts and the new Ops Chief is a real… ::several words sprang to mind for Caedan:: ...stickler for regulation. ::she handed it over:: Department readiness check off for the mission.

E. Reynolds: Oh. Wow. I haven't done one of these in a long time. ::She peered at the PADD for a short while, then tapped out a few entries, worrying the corner of her mouth as she did so. With a vague and uncertain smile, she looked back at Jo.:: I think that should be it.

::Receiving it back, Jo finished up the Ops report and sent it off to the main office. It wasn’t the only reason she’d come down; she wanted some more seeds for her next pet project, but considering the recipient of said project was standing in front of her now, and the head of the department, she’d have to be a bit cleverer about requisitioning them.::

Marshall: Great; only three more sections to go. Here’s to the glories of paperwork. ::she gave the air a little unenthusiastic punch:: If your department needs anything, you know where to find us. We actually have working replicators now, would you believe.

E. Reynolds: I know, it's so strange. I barely recognise the ship. There are walls where there are supposed to be walls and everything. ::She paused, a little awkward.:: But I should let you get back to work.

Marshall: The work that never ends. ::she exhaled, then paused as though wanting to say something else, but swallowed it:: Thank you for your time, Commander.

::Turning to go, PADD grasped in her hands, Jo drummed her fingers on the back. They were usually so easy with each other and now, Erin was her superior officer two steps up. The line felt so clinically defined.::

::The last time they had been together on the Gorkon, they had been ripping apart most of the connected walls and panels to utilise the parts for repairs, considering they couldn't replicate anything. Some of Jo's fondest memories of being lost in the other universe, if fond was the right word, were of the evenings they'd spent tearing down entire offices through the rolling brownouts armed with spanners and conversation.::

::Jo ignored the beating of butterflies on the inside of her stomach wall, rolled her eyes at herself, felt a momentary rush of courage, and turned back on her heel.::

--

Lieutenant JG Jocelyn Marshall

Operations Officer

USS Gorkon