[JP] Rear Admiral Reynolds & Lt. Commander Marshall - Shellebrate Good Times (Part I)

Quinn Reynolds

Jun 24, 2020, 3:30:49 PM6/24/20
to Gorkon (IC)

((Nahdra Beach, Væron))

The beach party had been in full swing for a couple of hours now, the ruby crescent of the moon high in the sky, the stars the Starfleet crew called home twinkling overhead. Six bonfires lit the beach, smoke curling upwards in the brine of the sea air. Food had been served and devoured, and the drinks were still flowing. On the small platform that served as a stage, the Romulan musicians came to a pause in their performance, off to take a welcome break as the Admiral and First Officer stepped up.

Reynolds: If we could have your attention, please?

Marshall: You can keep your drinks, just swivel in this direction.

When the eyes of the party-goers were on them, Quinn pushed aside her natural instinct to shrink away from them and projected a smile. Standing beside, Jo clasped her hands behind her back and grinned wryly at what was about to take place, all easy confidence.

Reynolds: I'd first like to thank Captain Whittaker and Lieutenant Commander Nkai for arranging this event for us, and the Væron Tourism Department for their assistance in the preparations. It's been a wonderful evening and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's enjoying the chance to join our Romulan hosts in celebrating Tolmaen'oali.

Marshall: I’m told the evening always ends in a walk over the hot coals of a bonfire burning down, so we’ve got that to look forward to. ::Hooking her thumbs into the pockets of her shorts, Jo squinted through the darkened sunglasses to find the two officers.:: I’m also told the traditions of drinking Romulan ale are seen as a challenge here, not a beverage, so with that in mind, please don’t try and keep up drink for drink, naming no Caedan in particular.

The two officers led the applause; Quinn offering a small, pleased smile to the two officers singled out for praise, Jo clapping alongside and throwing a wink to her Rodulan brother from another mother. Organising a celebration on the planet required delicate diplomacy and a steadying hand to not step on cultural toes. Praise and appreciation for the two party crafters died down and Quinn carried on.

Reynolds: The first awards of the evening are those most difficult to present. Injuries and being subject to the hostile intentions of others are events hardly cause for celebration. Nonetheless, they represent individual sacrifices made in service to the Federation and so are worthy of recognition. As such, we're honoured to present Petty Officer Christopher Johns with the Purple Heart. Additionally, Petty Officer Johns, Lieutenant Valesha Sienelis and Ensign Rachel Flores are awarded the Prisoner of War Ribbon for the events they experienced here on Væron.

Marshall: Where usually I would be flinging a new ribbon your way, tonight we thought we’d have them sent to your quarters. No one needs to carry around your awards in your pockets for an evening on the beach, and this way, I don’t have to fill out so many forms when they go missing into the sand later on. ::She clapped her hands together behind her back with a grin.:: However, congratulations to the three of you. Keeping our medical staff busy on land and in space. Never a dull moment.

Ever since they’d returned from Over There, it seemed Quinn had made a point of ensuring the Purple Heart took precedence instead of coming in last. It was a hard award to give, and a harder one to receive. The Prisoner of War was another entirely. Reports had come back of the Tal Shiar finding the two young officers and holding them captive in the city, while Arlo’s team beneath the surface had managed to free Flores from the literal prison and a future figurative one. None of that stopped the resounding applause from everyone gathered for the three officers taken prisoner in dangerous situations, where a roll of the fate dice could have changed the outcome in a spectacular way.

Marshall: Our second award of the evening is only slightly overdue for one and a fantastic success for both. Taking the helm of responsibility for a department is never easy, but two among us today make it look incredibly so. In recognition and reward for those who have consistently organised and run their departments with the kind of regimented efficiency that would make a Cardassian blush, this milestone of achievement is marked with the Department Chief Ribbon. Lieutenant Commander Adea and Lieutenant ch’Ranni, congratulations, you have our thanks and commendation.

Becoming chief of the department was a step in the right direction for a career in Starfleet; a demonstration of their dedication to the ship and their crew, organising and running staff, reporting and working hard for the betterment of their collective. Jona had settled into the role as soon as he’d got his feet in the door, swimming like a fish in open water. Genkos had been in post for a year, leveraging his charismatic way with patients and staff alike, and her friend without a doubt, which made the recent counselling session Jo had with Corliss stick further under her ribs. With that in mind, Jo revitalised her easy grin and led the applause for her fellow officers, throwing in a cheer or two for good measure.

TBC

--

Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer