[JP] Lt. JG Marshall & Lt. Cmdr. Reynolds - Northern Lights (Part III)

Quinn Reynolds

Aug 1, 2018, 5:45:29 PM8/1/18
to Gorkon (IC)
((Hillside, Deln Mountain Range, Trill))

::Within a second, everything changed. The cerulean sky flashed with an emerald pulse spreading up from the horizon line, aflame with a mixture of every kind of green imaginable, dancing across the firmament with eager abandon. It drew an audible gasp from the hybrid woman, whose eyes widened with awe and wonder as she watched the aurora caress the sky. She stood there, marvelling in silence, long enough for her breathing to return to normal.::

E. Reynolds: Oh, Jo, this is... ::She shook her head, unable and unwilling to wipe the smile off her face.:: I mean, I know the physics of it, but... This is something else.

::It was quite spectacular seeing it from the ridge. The flashes changed to waves, moving in lines, twinges of different colours sliding through the outline. It didn't obscure the stars, highlighting them with an effervescent brilliance. It was a wild phenomena like no other, bringing with it a wonderful serenity.::

Marshall: Yeah… ::She exhaled a sigh and smiled.:: It's pretty magical.

E. Reynolds: How did you know to come up here?

Marshall: Hiking years ago. I guess I fell a little in love with it.

::Jo took a gentle step forward and slid her hand into Erin's, a familiar tingle running through her palm, and watched the reflection of the natural wonder in her eyes.::

Marshall: I had to show you. I hoped you'd love it too.

E. Reynolds: I do. ::She smiled again, enraptured by the sight.:: I always wanted to see the aurora on Earth, but I never made the time... it's just beautiful.

Marshall: Yeah. ::She watched her eyes light up with her smile.:: It really is.

::The canvas of shimmering light played across Erin's face, highlighting the constellation of freckles on her cheeks, and caused Jo's breath to catch. Trepidation kindled low in her gut - a reminder of unspoken words. She slipped her hand from Erin's, and slowly tucked a lock of blonde hair behind her ear.::

Marshall: Thank you, for coming up here with me.

::A little bemused, Erin dragged her gaze away from the dark, neon sky and looked toward Jo. Her smile still lingered, but there was a touch of something else, something uncertain colouring her expression.::

E. Reynolds: You're welcome, but you really don't have to thank me. ::She gestured out, toward the stars and the luminescent colours painting the sky.::  I should be thanking you.

Marshall: Finding beautiful places to show you is becoming something of a hobby. ::She grinned and slid her hand to the back of her own neck, not thoroughly surprised at how warm her skin was.:: They're a good excuse to spend time with you away from all the noise.

E. Reynolds: I appreciate it, but you know... ::She hesitated, watching the other woman cautiously before venturing onward,:: ...you only have to ask. ::A wry smile crept back onto her lips, a twinkle of amusement in her eyes.:: Mountainside hiking trips are not mandatory to enjoy my sole company. I'd be just as happy to share a sofa and a cup of tea with you.

::A laugh escaped from Jo's grin and she shook her head, chewing her bottom lip. Abandoning caution, she grazed her fingers over the woman's cheek, her palm slid along Erin's face, thumb brushing her cheekbone.::

Marshall: Not mandatory, maybe, but I like finding ways to take your breath away, and I'm not sure I could get the same result on a sofa. ::Her eyebrow arched, her heart skipped.:: We'll need to test the theory.

::Erin's eyes closed at the touch, unconsciously leaning into the warmth of Jo's hand even as her breath hitched in her throat. When she opened them again, the smile had given way to something else. Apprehension perhaps, or was that fear kindling in her eyes?::

E. Reynolds: You know that I'm a mess, right? Like, so-tragic-it's-almost-comical mess.

::That hit Jo in the chest like a bullet, and she lessened the gap between them, exploring the radiating uncertainty. She swallowed down the nerves beating against the inside of her stomach, her fingers tucking errant hairs behind Erin's ear and cradled her face in her hand.::

Marshall: I want all of you, Erin. Tragic, comical mess, the good and bad… ::A half smile tugged on the corner of her mouth at the memory of their private joke.:: Every photosynthesizing cell, and everything in between.

::The answering smile was hopeful, cautious disbelief given form. Erin's hand alighted on top of the one cradling her cheek, lingering there, while she reached forward to trace the soft curves of Jo's cheek and jaw with hesitant, butterfly-light fingertips. Emboldened, if only a little, her smile warmed and widened.::

E. Reynolds: There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

::An exhaled laugh from Jo was about all she could manage; the woman's feathered touch was stealing the air of out her lungs and making her feel it as it left with a pleasant rush of tingled tendrils running through her skin.::

Marshall: Apparently not.

::Quiet slipped into the space between them - delicate touches and kind eyes speaking instead - secret affection given chance to breathe. Jo closed the gap a little and leaned in, brushing Erin's nose with her own, then hesitated for a brief moment at the blurred line. Her gaze slowly slipped down to the contour of her lips, flickering back up to her eyes, her voice on the edge of soft.::

Marshall: Can I kiss you?

TBC

--
Lieutenant JG Jocelyn Marshall