JP: Egan Manno, Bakari & Kells: Attention to Order, Part Two

Rich

Apr 13, 2015, 11:58:29 PM4/13/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Ten Forward, USS Garuda))

EGAN MANNO: Congratulations again, all, and -- Commander, unless there’s something else--?

:: This was more a formality than anything, and she certainly didn’t expect the sparkle in his eye, or for him to agree. ::

BAKARI: Actually, captain, there is…

EGAN MANNO: There is?

:: He turned to Yeoman Lynch, who already had gathered the last set of ribbons. ::

BAKARI: Fleet Captain Egan Manno: in recognition of your superb handling of the potentially hostile confrontation with the Breen above Peppalexa, Starfleet Command hereby recognizes you with the Diplomacy Ribbon.

Furthermore, as a starship captain, you have led your crew through the challenges that only those who have served a tour of duty on the frontier will ever truly know. Your leadership has brought stability and guidance to all those who serve beneath you, and you will no doubt continue to do so for many officers in the future. Starfleet Command gives me the honor to recognize you with the Starship Commander Ribbon.

:: He smiled as he took out the two final boxes and presented them to her. ::

EGAN MANNO: Thank you, Commander.

:: She offered her one of her rarest smiles, the smile that carried none of her usual dryness but was a shocking slice of complete honesty. A moment later, however, it had passed: They were on to the last of it now. ::

EGAN MANNO: You all may have heard the rumors that Commander Bakari will be accompanying me when I transition over to Astrofori One.

:: Msafiri just stood in silence, still smiling from the ribbons presentation, but now, he couldn’t help but feel the smile had become bittersweet. He hadn’t sought the first officer’s chair, but in the short time he’d held it, he had come to terms with it. But it seemed the universe had other plans for him once again. ::

EGAN MANNO: He and I will be leaving as soon as we put some affairs in order, a couple of days ahead of the official launch of the station. While I’m eager to begin that assignment and I’m sure that there will be a great deal of work for us to complete in the coming days ::beat:: I want to say again how much I will miss this family that we’ve created.

:: She paused for a moment. Cassie wasn’t naturally an emotional speaker, and this -- as much as her honest smile to Msafiri had been -- was difficult for her. ::

EGAN MANNO: I’m reminded immediately of two events that occurred during my captaincy. The first, during my first mission as a commanding officer, is one that a few of you may remember -- our first contact with the Kubarey. For those of you who don’t remember, let me summarize: It didn’t go well. At that time, I seriously considered resigning my commission if Starfleet wouldn’t reassignment to Administration.

But the second occurred more recently -- the takeover of the ship by the Kindred. While I can’t pretend that was a more successful even that the Kubarey first contact, no matter how poorly that first contact went, I was confronted with just how much I have come to know, rely upon, and admire all of you. You have my faith, and I hope I’ve had yours as your captain. Now….

:: She took a deep breath. ::

EGAN MANNO: Captain Kells, please.

:: Aron, who had been expecting this moment for some time, stood and walked to the front of the gathering. ::

KELLS: ::quietly:: Last chance to back out.

:: The slightly withering glance she gave him was answer enough to that. He grinned -- he couldn’t help it -- as he thought about what their relationship was going to be like now. Oh, she was going to love having appointed him. ::

BAKARI: Attention to orders.

:: The gathered officers snapped to attention as Cassie took out a PADD. ::

EGAN MANNO: (reading from PADD) To Fleet Captain Cassandra Egan Manno, Commanding Officer, USS Garuda. Stardate 239204.13. You are hereby requested and required to relinquish command of your vessel to Captain Aron Kells as of this date. Signed, Admiral Yerib, Starfleet Command.

:: She turned to face Aron. ::

EGAN MANNO: Computer, transfer all command codes to Captain Aron Kells. Voice authorization: ???.

COMPUTER: Transfer complete. USS Garuda now under command of Captain Aron Kells.

:: A crewman played a bosun's whistle before Aron turned to Cassie. ::

KELLS: I relieve you, ma’am?

EGAN MANNO: I stand relieved.

:: He offered her his hand, and she took it at once, a hard look on her face, and pumped it up and down. Once done, Aron looked back now at his assembled officers--his crew now. ::

KELLS: (to group) Dismissed.

TAG!

Fleet Captain Cassandra Egan Manno

Region & Starfleet Mission Commander

Menthar Corridor & Astrofori One

&

Lt. Commander Msafiri Bakari

Adjutant to the Region & Starfleet Mission Commander

Menthar Corridor & Astrofori One

&

Captain Aron Kells

Commanding Officer