[G-OQTRs] JP-Lt. Skyfire & Lt.Moonsong: Support Structure Part 1

gemsong120

Mar 29, 2015, 10:53:36 PM3/29/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Officer’s Quarters: Skyfire))

:: Chythar was on the floor wrestling a tug of war rope from Devlin. The little puppy was growling quite enthusiastically as it looked like he was winning for a few moments. Then CD tugged on the rope just enough to make it appear as though he was declaring victory over the beagle. ::

:: Raissa stood outside the door for a long moment. This wasn’t a professional visit. She knew CD would need to talk and normally she would have him in her office, but this time it was different. She needed something from him as well. She rang the chime and waited for him to allow entrance. ::

Skyfire: <from within> Enter.

Moonsong: Good day, Doctor.

Skyfire: Ris. :: He stood up, the tug-o-war rope still in his hand with the puppy growling softly from the other end. :: To what do we owe the pleasure?

:: Devlin growled at the rope some more and let go, padding around Raissa’s feet in greeting with happy panting and a bark of greeting. ::

Moonsong: How are you feeling, CD?

Skyfire: Doing well, I think. :: He paused. That was a bit of an omission on his part. :: The last mission was a little...crazy…on a few levels. :: Another pause. And he swallowed hard. :: I had a conversation with a dead man who was in fact quite alive according to the instruments in Sickbay.

:: Raissa stared at him silently for a moment. Then she nodded slightly to herself. ::

Moonsong: Do you want to talk about it here or in my office?

Skyfire: Here’s fine. You look a bit bothered too. Can I help at all?

::She shook her head and gestured to his couch.::

Moonsong: Why don’t we sit down, Doctor.

:: CD nodded faintly as he walked over to the replicator. ::

Skyfire: Can I get you something?

:: She smiled down at the rambunctious puppy, who continued circling at her feet. ::

Moonsong: And how are you, Crewpup Devlin?

Devlin: Raff! oO I know this scent...Must give facelicks!!! Oo

:: He wasn’t used to being a counselor, but he did say his door was always open to her if she needed it. This was probably going to be the first of such visits. Something in the way she spoke made him think the mission was still bothering her. The puppy jumped up into her lap as she sat down. ::

:: Raissa shook her head and welcomed the puppy on her lap. She rubbed her face against his soft fur for a long moment as she took a deep breath. Most Betazoids were uncomfortable with the idea of pets, being able to sense their emotions, but Raissa had been raised around animals so it had become part of her nature. While she had asked the Community not to block her link to CD, but she was trying to suppress heartache. ::

Moonsong: Thanks… but no. I’m fine.

:: Fine was a definition that changed within the eye of the beholder. He knew that. All too well. Because he thought after his last conversation with Chase, that he too was fine. His conversation with Tristam too. A pack of lies, in his case. His connection to Ris was strong enough for him to tell she wasn’t fine. He picked up on the residual pain, despite her efforts to hide it. ::

:: Devlin licked Moonsong’s face, several times. It’s as though he could sense the amount of pain she was in. ::

Skyfire: :: sat down on the couch alongside her. :: Have you spoken to him since we got back?

:: She was silent a moment, letting the puppy lick her face. She thought he was going to talk about the mission. She didn’t expect the question. She expected to slip into her counselor facade and help him. Instead he surprised her and she felt the hurt well up inside her again and she viciously tried to suppress it. She knew what he meant by ‘him’. Him was Carter.::

Moonsong: No… but... he was having a difficult time… understanding what I am. And I have had a difficult time trying to explain it to him.

:: The doc knew Carter oftentimes had difficulty understanding telepathy. The journey to the Garuda confirmed that. Carter was nervous the whole trip, because CD was empathic as well made it difficult to hide. And the fact they’d been roommates before also didn’t help. ::

Skyfire: He has a good deal of difficulty understanding the nature of telepaths. And they make him nervous. Hell, even I make him nervous. Would you like me to talk to him on your behalf?

::She finally looked up at him her eyes dark with controlled emotion. There was none of the telltale flicker of light the appeared when she communed with the Community. For this they kept silent. Humanoid interaction was beyond their experience.::

Moonsong: CD, I’m a counselor. I should be able to… to… be clear and concise about what I am… though right now… I’m not sure I know what that is. When I told him about the Community… that only made it worse.

Skyfire: How did he react?

Moonsong: Stressed, confused and… I think he thought we were breaking up…

Skyfire: Hm. :: He was silent for a moment. Contemplating. :: Sometimes, a little separation gives him clarity. He’s had a whole mission to think, been absorbed in his work. He’ll be in touch, I’m sure.

:: She gently scratched behind Devlin’s ears. She envied CD his pet. She kept meaning to see if she could find a feline pet but there never seemed to be time to look into it. The separation between her and Carter seemed to last longer than the away teams adventures in the past. ::

Moonsong: What if he doesn’t get in touch? What if it’s too much?

Skyfire: Knowing Carter as I do, he’ll talk to you and convey his intentions. One way or another.

:: Raissa was quiet as she cuddled the puppy against her, taking comfort in his touch. Her voice was low as she spoke. ::

Moonsong: You’re right. I would give the same advice to someone else in the same situation. :: pause :: It’s just hard when it’s… me…

:: The doc nodded in understanding. To an extent, he knew what she was going through. This confusion he’d experienced before when he left the Excalibur, and he knew that his time with Debra was over before it even started. ::

Skyfire: I know. And I want to do everything I can to help. As I said, if you want me to talk with him, I can.

:: Raissa hesitated. She was clearly thinking over his offer. It was also clear she had doubts. The more she dwelt on the situation, the more affection she lavished on Devlin. Her ability allowed her to touch his simpler mind as she projected her affection to him. The puppy licked her face again. ::

Moonsong: I…. don’t know if it would help. But if you want to try… Though being a telepath, I don’t know how you can make him understand what it’s like.

:: She sighed again and fought back tears, taking a deep breath and letting it out to exert control over her emotion::

Moonsong: My grandparents and parents made this work. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Skyfire: He will never be able to grasp onto what it’s like. I got the sense he still loves you, and will do whatever it takes to make it work out.

Moonsong: ::her voice was quiet:: I knew it was going to be difficult being in Starfleet… but I never expected it to be this… this… hard...

:: She was curled up on the couch with his puppy and she didn’t look like she was ready to let go of him. ::

:: CD understood the pain of falling for the wrong person too well. First, there was Sal. Then, the man was transferred to the Darwin. Over time, his connection to the ginger-haired counselor evolved into brotherly love. Second, Debra: a marine he met while serving on the Excalibur whom he never kissed before he was transferred off and seemingly forgotten, as she had physical relations with another before he got a chance. If she did still love him, he’d never know. And finally, Chase Valaine. One night, and then he disappeared. No communication since. ::

Skyfire: It’s always hard making a Starfleet romance work. I haven’t mastered it either.

Moonsong: ::softly:: In this case…. Starfleet isn’t the problem.

Skyfire: :: with a raised eyebrow :: It’s people in general?

Moonsong: :: she nodded. :: Sometimes… :: She smiled weakly:: Although Starfleet is the reason my fiance dumped me.

:: Devlin licked her face again. oO Cheer up and pet me more! Oo Chythar smirked at the puppy’s antics without being able to read his thoughts, but knew that the little canine was enjoying the attention because of the happily wagging tail. ::

Skyfire: I’ve never been good with people either. It was slightly ironic that I started a scientist and came out a doctor.

Moonsong: I started out as a doctor and became a therapist. I became a counselor to help people deal with the difficulties out here. I’m not sure I made the right choice.

Skyfire: :: again he raised an eyebrow. :: Why?

:: She blinked at him. Then she shrugged.::

Moonsong: I am finding my time here nothing like I expected. ::a wry smile briefly touched her lips.:: I haven’t been in Starfleet a year yet.

:: He nodded sagely, the puppy seeming to put her in good spirits. ::

Skyfire: I’ve been here :: he gestured to the ship around them :: Starfleet...three years. And it’s ironic that I put on the uniform of the organization that ordered my mom to Romulus. She was there when… :: He paused and bit back the memory of hearing about the explosion. :: ...it blew up.

::She was silent a moment.::

Moonsong: I’m sorry for your loss, CD.

Skyfire: It’s okay, Ris. I’m slowly finding a new family -- finding new siblings in you and Sal has been one of the best things that’s happened to me.

Moonsong: ::she smiled faintly.:: I hear that kind of social support structure is important for people far from the familiar.

:: He understood the psychology, and gave her a soft smile, He felt a little better, and stood slowly to get himself some tea. ::

Skyfire: Would you like a cup of tea while I’m up?

:: Devlin wagged his tail happily and rested his forepaws on her chest, licking her face. ::

Devlin: Raff!

Moonsong: No thank you…

::She had no problem returning Devlin’s affection. She pressed her forehead  the puppies for a moment allowing the simple warm emotion from the animal wash over her. She felt some of the stress ease from her shoulders.::

Moonsong: I really need to get my own pet.

Skyfire: I think there are still some of his siblings on DSX though I’m not sure. :: He had another sip of his tea. ::

::She nuzzled the puppy again with affection.::

Moonsong: I was thinking of a cat. I have an affinity for felines. We used to have a lot of them around the stables.

:: The doctor had another sip of his tea. He said nothing for several seconds before he spoke again. ::

Skyfire: Cats are good companions. I never met Ambassador Calderan’s cat.

::She nodded, her fingers stroking the puppy's ears.::

:: She looked up at him, her mind instantly leaping away from her own problems to address something else, anything else that would keep her from breaking down into a bout of weeping.. ::

:: And he paused. ::

Skyfire: Something about this mission is still bothering me.

:: Devlin turned his head to shift position in Ris’s arms, licking her face before he glanced to his master. oO Master looks sad. Oo All the puppy wanted to do was give everyone face licks, as though he was gifted with healing powers of just being an adorable little puppy. CD got up and went to the replicator to make himself some tea, a heavy smell of jasmine filling the room as it materialized. Once he had taken a sip from the mug, he returned to the couch and sat down alongside the counselor without another word. ::

Moonsong: CD, do you want to talk about what happened to you? In the past…?

Skyfire: :: This time the other brow joined the first. :: You mean with the dead crew that I mentioned in the report who were actually alive in Sickbay?

Moonsong: ::she nodded.:: I can tell it affected you.

(TBC)

======

Lieutenant Chythar Skyfire

Chief Medical Officer