JP: LtCmdr Core & Dr Rahman: Minor Details (Part 1)

Rich

Feb 6, 2015, 5:03:19 AM2/6/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Roshanara Rahman’s quarters, USS Garuda))

::With the dinner date cancelled, Roshanara had started reading the latest issue of Starfleet Dynamics when the overlights in her quarters suddenly dimmed.::

Rahman: oO Really, Tristam? You can’t even keep the lights running on this ship? Oo

::As she shook her head, the whine of the transporter kicked in as a dozen or so candles suddenly appeared around her room.::

Rahman: oO What the... Oo Computer, pause playback.

::The pulse of the simulated warp core ceased at once. She sighed and tapped her combadge, calling the Garuda’s chief engineer.::

Rahman: =/\= Just what the hell are you doing? =/\=

::His voice piped in, and he rambled off skittishly.::

Core: =/\= You're annoyed - I can understand you're annoyed, I'm making sure you're not annoyed. Well, not *not* annoyed, but *less* annoyed, because this is not a proper substitute and I still owe you. =/\=

::She looked up, as she tended to do during com conversations as if he were speaking from above.::

Rahman: =/\= I thought you said you were sick.  =/\=

Core: =/\= We're having dinner together - I promised you a date- wait. No. You promised *me* a date. So we're definitely doing this whether you like it or not. =/\=

::She sighed again. What crazy scheme had he concocted now?::

Rahman: =/\= Doing *what*? =/\=

Core: =/\= Get your PADD, set up a visual connection. Also, send me what you planned for dinner. I'd hate to think that all your hard work to make *me* feel comfortable went to waste because of this. =/\=

::A visual connection? Yet, nevertheless, she complied, connecting her PADD to his.::

Rahman: =/\= All right, I’m hooked up. Where are you? =/\=

::She heard the comline switch off, without him saying another word. She shook her head. Well, she supposed this could be interesting. Tristam always was unstoppable once he’d set his mind to something. He tended to operate in bursts of mad inspiration. It’s why secretly she knew one day he’d make a fine career in R&D… if he’d ever learn the patience to explain his ideas to the brass -- or “useless tools” as he called them.::

::The blank image on her PADD suddenly switched over to a shot of Tristam’s bed.::

::She chuckled in amusement.::

Rahman: oO Eager, much? Oo

Core: You lit all those candles yet?

::His offscreen voice chimed in right after the thought that for a moment she worried he might have “heard” it.::

Rahman: ...no. It’s a fire hazard.

::She wanted to continue her scowl, but a small smirk escaped as he continued speaking, preparing something unseen in a haste.::

Core: Well, you know, it was to make an atmosphere appropriate for a first date. I know next to nothing about Kriosian romantic behaviors, but the Terran culture use candles for a lot of things, and since you were brought up on Earth, I thought the gesture couldn't hurt.

::She took a deep breath and relented.::

Rahman: Dimming my lights by remote? Transporting things without notice? You know, there’s a fine line between being a charmer and being a creeper, Tristam.

Core: Call it a bit of payback as well for that time you “allegedly” locked me in my quarters as well, then.

Rahman: I have no idea what you’re referring to. You know how it was on the Pioneer… half the ship always seemed to be in need of tinkering. The shipyard must have just installed a set of faulty locks.

::She tried to say it with a straight face, but bit her lip to keep from grinning. She was unsuccessful.::

Core: Uh huh. Sure.

::She heard more commotion from beyond the camera’s view.::

Rahman: Anyway, where the hell are you? Why am I just looking at a couple of pillows?

::The view from the PADD suddenly shifted about, and Tristam’s entire face was now visible on the screen.::

Core: I’m waiting for my lovely home-cooked- ::He paused.:: ...home-replicated meal. Of which has not yet arrived.

::Ah, that face. Why did he look different now than all the times before when she had seen him? Sure, he was always cute, but even though she could tell he was under the weather, he looked downright adorable.::

::Wait. What? Why was she thinking about this. She shook off the whimsical thoughts.::

Rahman: Ahem. I am not having you throw up my cooking, thank you very much. Replicate some yourself some soup.

Core: You’re not getting out of cooking for me that easily. Unless, of course, you believe your cooking isn’t up to standard . . .

Rahman: Ha! Nice try, mister.

::She wasn’t that easy to taunt. Still, he just looked back at her with a blank stare.::

Rahman: ::sighs:: Fine, if you really want to give it a shot, it’s listed in my user preferences directory, under custom matrix parameters file 4. I’m sending you the access co-

::She’d been flicking through the directories on the PADD to give him permission to the directory when she heard his voice.::

Core: It’s already replicating.

::Her finger stopped in mid-swipe as she blinked.::

Rahman: ::muttering under her breath:: ...boundaries, Tristam. Seriously.

Core: You were taking too long, and standing is becoming uncomfortable. I’m sorry.

::As she contemplated how to send an electrical shock through the PADD, she switched the device to return the display back to the live visual feed.::

Rahman: It’s fine. We’ll work on that. ::beat:: So, how are you feeling?

Core: Yeah, answering that question is not in the best interests of this date.

::The PADD shifted again, viewing the now freshly replicated dinner. She was apparently now also floating in the living room of his quarters.::

Core: I’m gonna head back to my bedroom with this, don’t judge the mess.

Rahman: All right. While you do that, I suppose I’ll get my own plate.

Core: That’d be preferable . . .

::After she’d retrieved her own dish from her replicator, she sat down at the glass table, propping the PADD up against a vase sitting in the center.::

Rahman: ::shaking her head:: I haven’t done this in years…

Core: Done what? Have a date through vis-com? Don’t tell me I have to live up to someone else's standards . . .

Rahman: Hmmph. Don’t worry. Those standards are pretty low.

::As she thought of Javed, she realized it was ten years now since they’d tried to stay together through long-distance, a mix of subspace comm dates and fleeting shore leaves.::

::Ten years since Javed had broken it off through vis-com.::

Core: Seriously? I didn’t go to all this trouble for you to turn all mopey on me. I’m sick. I don’t want mopey on top of that.

Rahman: Fair enough. So… you ever have Punjabi food before?

Core: Pun-what?

::She rolled her eyes.::

Rahman: Well, I guess that answers that… I remember you couldn’t handle the Thai food back on the Pioneer.

Core:::He gave a shrug:: Rodulan taste buds are sensitive, I didn’t know what Thai food was.

Rahman: And that’s why you went for a 7 on the spiciness scale?

Core: It was a learning experience.

::Roshanara nodded as the memory of Tristam suddenly flailing about for a glass of water at the engineering department’s dinner banquet came back to her. It was a learning experience for everyone that night.::

Core: Besides, it wasn’t as if I absolutely hated it. I’m sure it would have been nice had my tongue not been on fire.

Rahman: Indeed. Well, hopefully this has been dulled down so even a Rodulan can handle it. But just in case, have a glass of water ready this time.

Core: I already have. Also, just for future reference, it’s not water that stops the burning - it’s milk.

Rahman: Clever man.

Core: I do try. ::He gave a small chuckle.:: Can I take a bite of my food now? I’m actually waiting for you.

::She smiled back at his image on the PADD.::

Rahman: No, you go first. I want to see your reaction. If it’s really bad, we can go to a backup.

Core: Of course.

::She leaned in and watched as he eyed the dish. With a happy nod, the Rodulan took his fork and brought the first piece of the dish up to his face, taking an incredibly small nibble on a small piece of chicken.::

TBC…

Lt. Commander Tristam Core

Chief Engineer, USS Garuda

&

Dr. Roshanara Rahman

Project Manager, Starfleet Corps of Engineers