[G] JP - LtCmdr Core & Lt Naughton: The First Time

Rich

Aug 13, 2014, 9:02:39 AM8/13/14
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Engineering Lab 3, USS Pioneer, 2387))

::It had been several weeks since the Rodulan had first agreed to assist Lieutenant Rahman with her “project”, and still he was no closer to actually understanding what they were supposed to be doing. He was really only there as a second set of hands - not that he minded. It got him away from the more boring tasks of Engineering but still had him doing something. He also liked to think that they were developing some form of friendship.::

::Today, though, was going to be a special day. The doors to the lab slid open and he walked through once more, but this time, he wasn’t there with just his tool kit. He also held two swuit sticks.::

Core: Good morning! Or . . . afternoon?

::It had felt like a long day had already gone by.::

::Roshanara glanced up at the chronometer. Was it already past noon? Still, she smiled when she heard the friendly Rodulan enter, though her gaze returned to her work on the large console in the center of the lab, where a holographic model of a high-output plasma injector was being projected into the air. Waving her hands across the image of the device, she was able to virtually dissect the components in preparation for today’s experiment.::

Rahman: Good afternoon, indeed, Mr. Core. Anything interesting during the morning shift?

Core: Typical day on a Starfleet ship. Medical officer thinks they broke a tricorder, freaks out, desperately calls me down there, only for me to tell them that the brightness was on its lowest setting. ::He gave a small huff.:: They should have taught medics how to work with their tricorders before letting them out into the universe.

Rahman: Hmmmph, in my experience, it doesn’t matter how much time you take to write the most comprehensive manual. People will still not bother reading it.

Core: I wonder why people bother writing manuals, then.

::She looked over at him and tilted her chin.::

Rahman: So we can look at those medical officers, cross our arms, and say to them, “It’s right here on page 3. Didn’t you read?”

::The Rodulan laughed.::

Core: Alright. What’s the plan for today?

::Now, though, Roshanara’s attention was on the strange items the lieutenant had brought with him. He seemed to notice where her gaze was directed. He offered one to her.::

Core: Swuit stick?

::She walked over, taking the swuit stick and turning it over, studying it as if it were another piece of equipment.::

Rahman: I’ve never had one before. What is it?

Core: Rodulan treat. I grew up with them as a kid, guess I kind of got addicted to them. They’re . . . I guess they’re similar to what you might call a lollipop? Just . . . more chewy. And epic.

::She nodded with a grin and brought it up to her face, but then hesitated. He had described it like a lollipop, but then he had said they were chewy. Was she supposed to bite into it?::

Rahman: ...um, you might have to walk me through it. Want to make sure I get it right.

Core:::he laughed again.:: Just think of it as a lollipop. Here, see?

::Well trained in the art of consuming swuit sticks, the Rodulan popped his own swuit stick into his mouth, letting the flavor sink in.::

::She watched, amused, at the look of utter satisfaction now evident on his face. She cleared her throat, struggling not to crack a laugh.::

Rahman: Should I leave you alone to enjoy the rest of it?

Core:::taking the swuit stick out of his mouth.:: I promise it is totally less awkward doing than what it is watching.

::She nodded and looked back at the swuit stick in her own hand.::

Rahman: All right, here goes.

::She took a nibble off the top with far less gusto than Core had done. At once, though the rich flavors of the candy hit her, and she furrowed her brow and closed her eyes reflexively.::

Rahman: Mmmm…

Core: Breshen is always the best flavour. Though Taywor has a completely different opinion.

::She was half-listening as she continued to let her tongue savor the sugary treat.::

Rahman: Mmmmm… mmmm?

Core: Ermach. It’s like this ridiculous sour blueberry tasting thing that Taywor loves - I honestly don’t get why. Anyway, not the point. You like?

::She popped the confection out of her mouth and returned a sly grin, her lips stained red by the candy.::

Rahman: ...I’m not sure just yet. I think I’ll need to try a few more… for science, of course.

Core: For science? ::he nodded his head.:: Sure . . .

::She looked over at his tool kit though and frowned.::

Rahman: You only brought the two?

Core: I’m sorry, I assumed we were working. Because . . . we’re engineers. And that’s what we’re supposed to be doing right now.

::She laughed.::

Rahman: You’re working in R&D now when you’re with me, Mr. Core. We have a little more latitude about mixing work with pleasure.

Core:::he nodded again.:: Okay, then. I’m going to ask you a favour, if that’s the case.

Rahman: Oh?

Core: Stop calling me “Mr. Core”. Mr. Core is my dad. And my dad’s a heap a lightyears away. It’s just Tristam. Or if you can’t do *that*, Lieutenant works just as well.

::She looked over him once more, noting the same streak of independence she had first seen when she met him that day in the crew lounge. It was rather endearing.::

Rahman: All right. Tristam, it is.

Core: See how easy that was!?

Rahman: And you can call me Roshanara. ::beat:: After you bring another set of those treats tomorrow.

::Tristam blinked a few times. Was this actually happening? Was someone else aboard this ship actually going to partake in the awesomeness of swuit sticks? He could barely believe his ears.::

Core: New flavour?

Rahman: Surprise me.

::He gave a wide smile.::

Core: Oh . . . you’ve got no idea.

((Four years later…))

::Aboard the USS Garuda, Tristam and Lieutenant Naughton were continuing their meal as Mozart continued playing in the background.::

Core: Has Rahman actually signed a written confession?

Naughton: If you're asking if all the PADD work is finished, no, she is still being processed.

::The engineer nibbled at his meal and spoke as if he were only entertaining afterthoughts.::

Core: Well, if there isn't an official, written and signed confession, doesn't it render her so-called verbal confession null and void? There's no recording of her saying "I, Roshanara Rahman, confess to treason through the sabotage the USS Garuda", just her acknowledging that that's what had happened. I know. I was there.

::The JAG officer grinned.::

Naughton: An interesting argument, Mr. Core, but no, it does not render her confession null and void.

::He took his own bite before continuing.::

Naughton: Thank goodness, too, or we'd hardly ever be able to prosecute anyone if that were true.

::Tristam just wanted to punch him now. Just get up from his chair, grab his plate and smash it over his head. It’d make him feel a hell of a lot better about actually talking to this Terran.::

Naughton: The simple fact is that Ms. Rahman was made aware of her legal rights both on the Garuda when she was initially relieved from duty and by DSX security when she was arrested. I'm afraid if you're hoping to find a way to get her off on a legal technicality, that's a dead end, commander.

::When had T’Leia done that? It clearly hadn’t been done when Rahman was initially arrested/relieved from duty, otherwise the Rodulan would remember hearing her say it.::

Core: Of course it is.

::For the lack of anything better to say whilst restraining himself from the very real urge of throwing his fork at Naughton.::

::Sean let his own fork scrape the plate before he posed a question back.::

Naughton: Now let me ask you something.

Core: Because we both know I’m not going to have a choice but to answer.

::The JAG officer looked up at the Rodulan and grinned again.::

Naughton: What does all of this mean to you?

Core: I’m sorry?

Naughton: Well, I believe you only joined her staff a few months ago.

Core: Against my will.

::Sean put his fork down, took the napkin off his lap and placed it on the table before he sat back in his chair.::

Naughton: Yes, and despite that, rather than one of the other engineers who've been on her staff longer that I talked to earlier today coming to her defense, prodding me to find a way to make this all go away, so far it's just been you.

Core: What’s your point? There could be numerous amounts of reasons for that.

::Sean studied the engineer closely.::

Naughton: I just find that interesting.

Core:::he rolled his eyes.:: Of course you do.

::He noted that Tristam’s plate was almost done.::

Naughton: I'm glad you liked the meal.

::It was, at least, to Tristam, more fulfilling than this conversation.::

Core: It’s much appreciated. Now, if there’s nothing else you wish to discuss?

::Sean tilted his head at the question, but then looked over at the plate of blue swuit sticks that had been left untouched. He grabbed one of the treats.::

Naughton: No room for desert? They do look enticing.

Core: My father always told me swuit sticks were for sweeter moods.

Naughton: Hmmmph. Well, if you aren’t going to have one, perhaps you could indulge me with the proper way to eat them. I want to make sure I’m observing proper etiquette after all.

::He raised the swuit stick to his eye, looking it over.::

::Tristam rolled his eyes. A swuit stick was a swuit stick. There was no “special way” to eat a swuit stick - it was a *lolly*, for creeds sake. Every non-Rodulan that came across one seemed to believe that there was some form of ‘special ritual’ to have one, when really, it was just a family treat.::

Core: Depends.

::Sean looked back at the Rodulan, curious.::

Naughton: Oh?

Core: Yeah. Are you gonna keep pushing and believing Roshanara is guilty of absolutely everything?

::Sean lowered the stick but still held it over his plate.::

Naughton: What do you believe, Mr. Core?

Core: I believe that you haven’t seen or heard every side to this story.

Naughton: I’m sure. And would you be able to enlighten me?

Core: I’m not at liberty to. Though I will say that you should check her medical records.

::Because everybody seemed to miss medical records.::

::*That* made Sean put down the swuit stick entirely. He looked away for a moment, echoing what Core had said.::

Naughton: Medical records…

Core: Oh, I get it, the JAG man didn’t check one of the most important areas of her files. Don’t feel too bad - you weren’t the only one. And if you blink, you miss it. One of those things where you have to discuss it with a teal.

::Tristam gave an amused smile, happy that his “new friend” wasn’t as smart as he made himself out to be. If there was anyone on this playing field with brains, it was Tristam Core.::

::Sean looked back at Core, slightly annoyed yet also now intrigued.::

Naughton: Ahem. Thank you, Mr. Core.

Core: You’re welcome.

::Tristam jumped up out of his chair, his mood a little brighter.::

Core: Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a tricorder to look over and a PADD to repair.

::The JAG officer looked up and nodded, though it was clear his mind was now on this new development.::

Naughton: Of course. Have a good night, commander.

Core: You too.

::After the Rodulan had left, Sean continued to sit in deep thought as the music continued. His eyes though then turned to the blue swuit stick still sitting in front of him. The JAG officer picked it up and finally gave a bite but then spat it out as he recoiled.::

::The taste was decidedly sour.::

---

Lt. Commander Tristam Core

Acting Chief Engineer, USS Garuda