[G] Capt. C. Egan Manno: Thick and Thicker (Delano, Bakari, Mei'konda, Falcon)

8 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Tony

no leída,
13 dic 2014, 7:49:18 p.m.13/12/14
para sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( CRR ))

Delano: My contact says he has inside information about recent backroom dealings between the Council and the Cardassian government. These talks have supposedly stirred up anti-Cardassian sentiments, even among the Council. If true, some of our recent… problems may be related. The Maquis Reborn, among them.

:: Delano's were serious claims, and Cassie knew she was frowning. She couldn't help it. Too much of her mental energy was being shoved into keeping from spinning off into paranoid delusions. No, she thought, as she calmed herself, there was no real risk of that. But she certainly did want to hear more. ::

Egan Manno: And your source?

Delano: A journalist who recently arrived on DSX. He claims that an anonymous source - someone with connections to the Council, from what I gathered -  tipped him off. And, that someone tried to kill him during the quarantine - only a few days after he arrived.

Egan Manno: I don't know that an attempt on his life necessarily validates his conclusions. The Federation Council doesn't hire assassins.

:: At least, not the Council for the United Federation of Planets in whose Starfleet she served. She took a gulp of air -- not really a breath, but a gulp. ::

Egan Manno: The station security forces will, I'm certain, investigate the attempt on this journalist's life and catch those responsible.

:: She wished, by saying so, that she was certain. ::

Egan Manno: I do appreciate that you brought me these suspicions, Lieutenant, but -- and I would like your honest assessment -- what do you think of their validity?

:: His hesitated was not an answer in and of itself, but she took it as significant nonetheless. This conversation was, she thought, made up much more of what was unknown and unsaid. Not that she thought Delano was holding back, especially after their conversation in the arboretum. Rather, there were multitudinous players far beyond this ready room, and whoever they might be -- and whether they went any further than Delano's journalist, his would-be killer, and their sources -- Cassie couldn't say. ::

Delano: I don’t know if he can be trusted, but I would like to at least investigate his claims of being attacked. Several members of our crew were supposedly present when it happened, and with the cooperation of security on DSX, I think I could at least prove or disprove that part of his story.

:: At that, Cassie nodded. It made sense. ::

Egan Manno: Proceed.

:: But.... The unsaid again hung heavily between them. He didn't nod or agree, and she waited for him to explain why her approval didn't move him at all. ::

Delano: Technically, he’s under DSX jurisdiction now. I don’t have any legal authority to investigate. But if he were to be brought on board Garuda…

Egan Manno: I see.

:: So that was the key. She nodded, slowly, neither committing nor denying. ::

Egan Manno: What would be your justification for doing so?

Delano: I’m requesting he be invited to the ship as an official press observer. Garuda’s been at the center of several key events in this region of space over the last year. Some of those have made headlines back home, and people are curious. He could produce articles about our missions and developments in the corridor. In the meantime, I can begin investigating his claims. If nothing else, this would allow us to keep an eye on him. Safer for him if someone is trying to kill him. Better for us if it turns out he has some ulterior motive.

Egan Manno: Indeed. Very well. You make a compelling case, and it may be safer for him here anyway, unless station security were to take him into protective custody.

:: Even as she heard the words, she knew they were half-false. She wanted this man to come onto the Garuda. She wanted to know what he knew. But she frowned, more at herself than anything else. She wasn't going to let her feelings dictate her policy, or no more than necessary. ::

Egan Manno: But I want the investigation to be ongoing and, at least for the moment, his access to be restricted as much as possible without seeming as though actively limited. It's his safety I'm concerned about -- but whatever he knows, I would like to know it, too.

:: She spoke the last sentence in a lower voice, a more hurried voice, and though she knew Delano wouldn't have to lean in to hear her, she thought he did slightly anyway. There was a conspiratorial element to the affair, one that she wasn't particularly happy with. The sooner they got to the bottom of this, the better. ::

Delano: ?

Egan Manno: If he is a reporter, then he's certain to be an expert at asking questions and not answering them. Don't let him. I want to know what happened and why he's made those claims.

Delano: ?

Egan Manno: If any security personnel from DSX need to come aboard to continue their investigations, grant them temporary quarters and access to our guest-- What's his name?

Delano: ?

Egan Manno: Mr. Davenport. ::beat:: Find out, Evan. Please.

Delano: ?

:: She nodded, and that was all. He understood himself to be dismissed, and Cassie was left to her thoughts for a long moment. As soon as he was gone, she drew a PADD toward her and, using the highest encryption for her personal log, entered everything he'd just said. She also reminded herself that jumping to any sorts of conclusions based upon thirdhand, unverified information was not only foolish but dangerous -- but, she told her log, that didn't mean that it didn't merit further investigation.

She had only just finished her thoughts when her chime rang, and she asked for her caller to enter. They hadn't come together: Bakari was there, alone and first. ::

Bakari: Captain, you wished to see me?

Egan Manno: I did. Perhaps, Commander, you wouldn't mind waiting for Commander Mei'konda's arrival?

Bakari: Of course.

:: They were only a couple of moments in waiting, and then the chime rang again. Good, because Cassie didn't want to spend too much time spinning with what Delano had just told her. Her desired manipulation of the mission's goals were enough perfidy to be going on with for now. ::

Mei'konda: Hello, Captain.  Commander Bakari  How caan I be of assistaance?

Egan Manno: Hello, Commander, and thank you both for coming. Please, sit. ::beat:: You heard Commander Calderan's announcement, I think. We have a new mission, but-- Actually, before that, you'll note that Nia introduced herself as "ambassador"?

Bakari: Yes, I was wondering about that, actually when I heard it.

Egan Manno: She's been promoted. That is to say, I promoted her -- to full commander. Starfleet also asked that she be placed as a full ambassador for the region.

:: Cassie saw the glance that Bakari sent to Mei'konda. Well, it was hard to miss it, really. She recognized that her words weren't chosen so well to communicate what she meant, and again she was frustrated with herself. Sort it out, Cassie. ::

Mei'konda: ?

Egan Manno: That is to say, I have full confidence in Nia's abilities. I just would have preferred she not be promoted out of her post at present. But it's an excellent opportunity for her, and I fully support her decision to take it.

Bakari / Mei'konda: ?

Egan Manno: That is the problem. However: Commander Bakari, I'd like to name you as her successor. You've capably served as my command advocate and liaison these past few months. Do you accept?

Bakari: ?

:: She nodded once, a violent thrust. Good. That was taken care of. Again, she realized that she was being too brusque, and she calmed her voice. ::

Egan Manno: Congratulations, Commander. ::beat:: But I called you both her to discuss more than staffing changes. Starfleet's mission is rather -- mundane, especially given the concerns you rightly reminded me about recently, Mei'konda. You'll find quick briefings of the mission outline for your perusal after this meeting. However, I would prefer that we move through the official mission as quickly as possible, because there are a number of, hm, loose ends I would like to pursue. You'll find a summary of these in your personal files, marked E-M-6-5-9-1.

( OOC: Assume that these are, more or less, all of the points Mei'konda brought up with Cassie earlier: looking for the Maquis, finding Ross, etc etc. )

:: Cassie's smile was slight, but it was there nonetheless. ::

Egan Manno: I assure you that you I'm not giving you an impossible assignment, Mr. Bakari: I will not always be so maverick a captain. But, if we can complete our official mission quickly, and if we can do more to resolve the unresolved, then I would like us to do so.

Bakari / Mei'konda: ?

Egan Manno: If you have reservations, or any responses, speak them now.

Bakari / Mei'konda: ?

( OOC: I'll backsim this as necessary. If neither of them have anything to add, then consider them dismissed! )

:: The chime rang once more just as, after they were dismissed, Mei'konda and Bakari were about to walk through the door. That must have surprised the young woman on the other side, though Cassie was quick to approach her before she could move past Bakari and Mei'konda into the ready room. Enough of the plotting and intrigue of the small room. Cassie followed them out, indicating that the woman should come with her. ::

Egan Manno: Lieutenant Falcon?

Falcon: ?

Egan Manno: I'm Captain Egan Manno. I'm happy to accept your transfer orders, and -- if you don't mind -- I'd like to get the ship underway as quickly as possible, so let our first meeting be a working one. If you'll take the helm and prepare us for departure in about forty minutes?

Falcon: ?

Bakari / Mei'konda / Any: ?

Tag! and TBC!

Captain Cassandra Egan Manno