[E] JP: Dr. Rahman & Audience Member: Question Time (Part 2)

Rich

Dec 13, 2014, 2:45:14 AM12/13/14
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Ninety minutes later, Emory Erickson Lecture Hall, National University of Singapore, Earth))

Rahman: ...as you can see in figure 22, due to the quantum slipstream drive’s unique tunnelling method, vessels above certain sizes such as the Galaxy class have yielded disappointing results in both simulation and field tests. The Starfleet Corps of Engineers has worked on finding ways to adapt these starship classes for the past several years, but such venerable designs may simply prove incompatible with the technology.

::She looked back out on the audience and saw a number of heads nodding off in addition to a few who had completely dozed off.::

::Well, so much for young minds. She supposed she should wrap it up.::

Rahman: Ahem. ::Flipping her presentation ahead a few slides.:: So while there still remain many unknowns regarding quantum slipstream technology, the expanded opportunities for transportation, commerce, and security enabled through quantum slipstream are clearly evident.

::She cleared her throat before continuing with her conclusion.::

Rahman: We find ourselves today standing on the edge of the next frontier. Continued research and development of the quantum slipstream drive may ultimately usher in a new age of exploration not seen since Cochrane’s first flight over three centuries ago. ::beat:: Thank you.

::There was a momentary pause before Dr. Cheah started clapping, and finally several others slowly began joining in. The engineering professor stood up and went over to shake her hand before taking the podium.::

Cheah: Thank you, Dr. Rahman. That was most fascinating. Well, with that said, I think we have some time for questions, yes?

::She nodded in return, and several hands indeed went up. She was pleased to see a few of them were even from the students. Some of the audience had already begun leaving as Roshanara and Dr. Cheah proceeded to get through the questions. Finally, just as they seemed to have reached the end, one last hand shot up in the back.::

Cheah: Is that it? Oh, yes, I believe we have one more question.

::A scruffy looking figure stood up. Roshanara had been standing patiently with her hands folded behind her back, but truthfully, even she was ready for the presentation to be over.::

Man: Yeah, when will propulsionists realize that moving faster than “faster than the speed of light” shouldn’t be at all a priority?

::Wait, that sounded awfully familiar…::

Cheah: I’m sorry, can you repeat the question?

Man: Why do propulsionists consider the slipstream project to be higher on the to do list when we should really be focusing on better life support systems?

::It couldn’t be. He wouldn’t.::

Man: It seems a little barbaric, don’t you think?

::Several members of the audience had turned around now with interest to see who was talking, but Roshanara already knew.::

::Tristam Core.::

---

Dr. Roshanara Rahman

Guest Lecturer