Lt Cmdr Ben Livingston - Just Reward (Tag All)

Will Maurer

May 4, 2014, 2:42:06 PM5/4/14
to sb118-e...@googlegroups.com
((Turbolift, USS Excalibur-A))

::One way to see it was that Ben had the opportunity to warn a friend of what was coming. That was about the only positive way he could see it; from every other perspective, this was a mess, and an unfortunate responsibility he bore.::

Silveira: Well I better thought of some advocate to defend me right?

::Ben said nothing, but nodded. Yes, Sil had best begin to work on his defense.::

Silveira: I would chose you, but considering the circumstances I don't want to force you into an uncomfortable situation.

::He appreciated that, and the truth was he wasn’t eligible to defend his friend, anyhow. He offered a weak smile.::

Livingston: Vitor, I really wish I could, but --

::His friend cut him off, shaking his head.::.::

Silveira: I thank you Ben. But I am not putting you up for this. I have the right person for this job.

Livingston: Right. ::He paused, wondering who it was.:: They will really have their work cut out for them.

Silveira: If he is up for it I think he will be a good defender. Our very own resident Ferengi. Brek.

::Ben’s eyes widened. Brek! Yes, of course … why hadn’t he thought of the honey-tongued diplomat, and Second Officer to boot? Surely, if someone could help Vitor, it was Brek.::

Livingston: Good! Oh, that makes me feel better. ::Nodding:: Yes, let him know. I’ll stall it as long as I can; even he will need time to prepare.

Silveira: You will see, I might even get a promotion after his defense. ::The turbolift opened the doors and Vitor gesture for Ben to walk out first.:: Again thank you for the heads up. Now if you will excuse me, I need to find Brek.

::Ben shook his head. Indeed, a promotion! Vitor, out of everyone, certainly knew how to keep a positive outlook.::

Livingston: Go. Good luck.

((Crew Lounge, USS Excalibur-A))

::They parted ways, which suited Ben well enough. He’d prefer not to appear overly-close to Sil until this was over. He certainly wouldn’t any accusations of interference going around. So while Vitor made his way toward Brek, Ben himself grabbed a drink. He stood there sipping quietly to himself and enjoying the dull roar that went uninterrupted by people coming up to talk to him. With his beverage finished, he disposed of the glass and looked about for a place to stand. Finding a suitable corner that everyone would be able to see, he retrieved a small, previously hidden wooden box from behind a chair and took a place in the corner. Speaking above the whispers and quiet discussions in the room wasn’t hard; he was surprised by how much there was, actually.::

Livingston: May I have everyone’s attention, please?

::Waiting a moment for them to face him, he drew a breath and quieted his mind. There was a smile on his face, but it would be a lie to suggest that it was not forced.::

Livingston: We’ve been through trying times, and there are people here whose hard work and dedication must not go unrecognized. Therefore, in accordance with Fleet Captain Nicholotti’s wishes, I am honored to present the following. Would the following officers please come forward: Lt. Cross, Lt. Kesaan, Lt. Skyfire, Ensign Morgan, and Ensign Riverview.

::He waited for them to stand and come forward, then withdrew from the wooden box a number of ribbons.::

Livingston: For your part in exploring this new region, and for participating in our discovery of three previously unknown races, you are hereby awarded the Explorer’s Ribbon and the First Contact Ribbon. Congratulations.

::To each in turn, he handed the ribbons they had earned, offering to each a smile that, somehow, was no longer forced but genuine and heartfelt. Down the line, he firmly took the hand of each officer, shaking it.::

Cross / Kesaan / Skyfire / Morgan / Riverview: response

::Once they had returned to their places, Ben continued.::

Livingston: Lieutenant Collim, Lieutenant Silveira, Lt. Commander Walker, and Lt. Commander Brek: please step forward.

::These officers, too, had participated and should be recognized. As they approached, Ben shared a glance with each, then removed additional carefully placed ribbons from his box.::

Livingston: In recognition of your service in exploring this new region, and in establishing relations with its inhabitants, you too are awarded the Explorer’s Ribbon and the First Contact Ribbon.

::Again, to each, he distributed what they’d earned. With a quiet “thank you” to each, he moved down the line congratulating each in turn.::

Collim / Silveira / Walker / Brek: response

::Here, too, he allowed a pause for them to return to where they had previously stood. Here and now, life was easy. This ceremony, hopefully one of many yet to come, was worth it to him -- it was his chance to reflect on all the good things a StarFleet career brought with it. It wasn’t the ribbons and awards, but it was that came with them -- the memories and colleagues. With another breath, Ben was ready to begin again.::

Livingston: Lt. Commander Orman, please step forward.

::When she did, Ben smiled softly and withdrew additional ribbons.::

Livingston: Lt. Commander Orman played a pivotal role in establishing trust between the Federation and the inhabitants of Erscyne Station. Despite difficult conditions, she survived for a month unseen on the station, and when she did make contact, she gained the trust of its facilitators. For these efforts, you are awarded the Explorer’s Ribbon, the First Contact Ribbon, and the Good Conduct Ribbon. Thank you, Commander Orman. ::He held out the ribbons to her, then smiled at the sudden realization that came to mind.:: I suppose Katy also came closer than anyone to earning the Extended Service Ribbon. ::He smiled at the joke, then stretched out a hand to shake hers.:: Maybe next time.

Orman: response

::When she had stepped down, Ben continued.::

Livingston: Lieutenant Jolara and Lieutenant Taybrim, please come forward. ::He paused as they did so, then continued.:: Lieutenants, you were both involved not only in gathering information about this region of space, but actively saved the lives of our companions, delivering them from the void and back to safety. For this, the Excalibur family in your debt. You are hereby awarded the Explorer Ribbon, the First Contact Ribbon, and the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

::He offered to each the ribbons and -- despite himself, felt a quiver at the corner of one eye.::

Jolara / Taybrim: response

Livingston: Thank you. ::As they began to step down, Ben put out an arm.:: Mister Taybrim, one thing more.

::He reached back into the box for another small item that would be easy to lose inside, if not for the glimmer about it. He carefully picked up the small gold cylinder.::

Livingston: Lieutenant Taybrim, I am very pleased to grant you the rank of full Lieutenant. Congratulations.

::He stepped forward with a smile, reaching in toward the officer’s collar and removing the small black pip. After replacing it with a full, gold one, he took a step backward, nodded in approval, and shook Sal’s hand.::

Taybrim: response.

::Now, the officer stepped down and Ben continued. The box was not empty, but there was not someone here to receive those that were left. They would be sent home with a number of other belongings.::

Livingston: There is one, yet, who deserves our recognition, though she is not here to receive it. Fleet Captain Kalianna Nicholotti is hereby awarded the following: for her part in the discovering this region and its inhabitants, the Explorer’s Ribbon and the First Contact Ribbon. For saving the lives of those StarFleet officers and crew under her command, at great risk to her own life: the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon. ::He had to swallow to continue.:: For the loss of her life, the Purple Heart. And for the voluntary sacrifice of her life to protect her ship and her crew, the Legion of Merit.

::Closing the box, he allowed a moment of silence to hang before breaking it again.::

Livingston: I am honored to continue to serve with such fine officers of StarFleet. We’ve got work ahead, but for now, please enjoy the food and remember this time.

::Stepping down, he placed the box securely beneath his arm.::

((OOC - Congratulations, everyone! And please also help me congratulate Lieutenant Vitor Silveira on his (OOC) promotion to Lieutenant Commander! As far as his IC rank, we’ll have to see what comes out of his court martial … ))

-----

Lt. Commander Ben Livingston
First Officer
USS Excalibur-A