Lt Oddas: That's Odd, Part II (Tag: NT)

Nicholas St Gabriel

Dec 13, 2016, 4:05:56 PM12/13/16
to Embassy, Rich Yulin
((OOC: Some background for something Captain Rahman and I have been cooking up. ))

(( Main Engineering Office, Embassy, Duronis II ))

:: The morning had started promising, a stop at her quarters had allowed her to get ready for the day, more coffee and a large breakfast. It had gone downhill quickly from there. She had come to the office to find the work on the EPS power conduits had lagged behind because of an unknown issue with the ODN relays.  The repair crew from the night before had left the work undone which had not made her happy.  She had spent several hours debugging the ODN matrix in the main reactor room, glancing at the time on her PADD, it had been 4 hours actually, and it had left her in a foul mood.

Normally solving an intricate problem would have lifted her spirits, but the issue had turned out to be one of incompetence, or malice, she wasn't sure which yet.  Several ODN relays had been cross wired causing the system to overload whenever power was applied.  Theoretically someone could have been trying to bypass reactor safeties, or someone could have just been inept at effecting a temporary repair at some point in the past.  It was discovered because part of the repair was bringing the reactor and the EPS grid up to current specification.

She had reviewed the logs and couldn't find any mention of the 'repair' which troubled her, but judging from the history of this place and the fact she had found a similar bypass while performing an inspection with Lieutenant Sharpe of other systems after the attack she wasn't sure what to make of it yet.

She threw her PADD on her workstation and tried to solace in the fact power was again flowing and the ODN network was flowing at regulation. ::

Oddas: Computer begin message to Lieutenant Sharpe, Lieutenant Savan, and Major Parker. :: she considered adding the rest of the command staff but managed to hold her tongue :: Message begins, Sirs, I have just found an unauthorized repair that would have allowed an outside attacker to overload the ODN network at will, or worse, given time overload the Embassy power grid given the correct command sequence.  This situation is unacceptable and I find the environment that allows such gross incomp --- Computer.. :: she takes a deep breath :: Scratch that and begin new message to the same recipients.

Sirs, an unauthorized modification was discovered this morning during the course of repairs to the Embassy power grid which has security implications.  I have included Lieutenant Sharpe in the report as it is similar to a modification we found during the damage assessment surveys just after the attack.  Maintenance Logs, details, and other relevant information are attached.

Computer, send message.

:: She let out a deep sigh and leaned back in her chair.  Her assault of PADD on workstation had brought up the subspace wave from the Argus Array on the large screen.  She felt the weight of the moment lift from her shoulders lift as she pulled up the calculus related to its harmonics and a stylus. Many of her classmates had joked with her about using the stylus, but it was something she had preferred when working with equations both because it made input easier and because she liked to 'fidget and it gave her hands something to do.

The waveform topology on the screen seemed to indicate an eleventh layer of subspace, which was impossible.  Subspace having only ten layers was a fundamental constant which many technologies, including most things the Federation and other known civilizations relied on held to be constant.  An eleventh layer would have consequences that were far war and wide.

She dug in and finished the first set of equations, and another, and a tenth, and a new set of topology revealed itself.  She didn't believe it so she scrapped her work and started over along with a fresh cup of coffee. An hour later the same result presented itself from a second separate approach, three hours after that the same answer was there again from yet another and was verified via a computer simulation.   Looking at the time she realized it was time to get another opinion, and to move on to something else.

She downed the dreggs of her coffee and grimaced.  There was only one person who she could think of to really verify this work and give her an honest opinion back, but she was going to be embarrassed when she found out exactly where she was miscalculating.  ::

oO Time to take that chance. Oo

Oddas:  :: sighing :: Computer, begin message to Doctor Roshanara Rahman of Starfleet Engineering.  :: she paused ::  Doctor, I have come across some information forwarded to me from the Argus Array by a engineer who, well, who tried some unsanctioned technology on some transceivers and then asked me for assistance with the new maintenance requirements. oO Slow down Aria, she's a colleague now, not the one who proctored your final.  Oo

I was reviewing her work, and well, it seems the Argus array is now detecting and differentiating at least 20 layers of subspace and the equations I have derived suggesting there is actually no upper limit on the actual number of said layers.  :: she paused realizing what she said ::  I realize the implications of this and am hoping for your assistance in either proving or disproving my work.  I am attaching my work product, the source materials, and the simulation runs.

If you could review my work I would be grateful.

Lieutenant Oddas Aria, Chief Engineer, Duronis II

:: As she signed off she realized not only was she would be grateful for the assistance, she was also in a substantially better mood.  She now had a real problem to solve, if Captain Rahman agreed with her findings it would revolutionize Warp Travel, subspace communications, and prophets knew what else.  Warp 10 was an impossibility, well, because until now the theory was there were only ten layers of subspace.  The implications of the discovery were profound. ::

oO Unless you get shot down. Oo

:: She was confident enough in her math skills she doubted the trouble was in her mathematics Aria, happy again, got back to work.  She prioritized the filter design for the Argus array, it was the least she could do. ::

NT

Lieutenant Oddas Aria
Chief Engineering Officer
Duronis II Embassy - USS Thunder-A - 70605-A
ID number: E239305OA0

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering.  -Robert Heinlein