Lieutenant Ben Garcia - Basic Duties (Tags: Pandorn)

Ben Garcia

Oct 24, 2019, 2:20:14 PM10/24/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Pandorn’s Office, Embassy of Duronis II))

Ben rolled his shoulders back as he walked down the corridor to Pandorn’s office. An uneasy excitement fluttered in Ben’s stomach, and caused his shoulders to tense. Or, maybe it was the lactic acid from his early morning swim. Briefly, the smell of waves crashing filled Ben’s nostrils; it had been a good, challenging swim. After a few more footsteps Ben stopped at a door. Below the door number was Pandorn’s insignia. Ben cleared his throat, and pulled his top down straight. Then he knocked twice. Grimacing at the frailty of the knock, Ben pressed the doorbell on the door terminal.

Pandorn: Come in.

The doors peeled back into their recess, revealing Pandorn at his desk. Ben nodded a ‘hi’ and stepped in.

Garcia: :: Smiling. :: Sir. :: Ben clasped his hands behind his back. :: You asked to meet?

Pandorn: Yes, I did. Take a seat, Lieutenant.

Ben took his hands from behind his back and let them rest at his side as he side stepped to the chair placed in front of Pandorn’s desk.

Garcia: :: Nodding a thanks. :: Thank you sir.

Ben sat down with his back straight. As he settled into the seat, Ben pulled sharply down on his top, flattening out any rumples.

Pandorn: It was a grand ball last night wasn't it? ::grins:: Saw quite a few old faces there.

Garcia: First ball since the Academy. :: Ben smiled. :: To call it grand would be an understatement. The orchestra was phenomenal. :: Ben smiled at the thought of the ‘spice off’ with Lovar and Deena. :: The food was off the charts!

Pandorn: And that little eating contest between you, Lieutenants Lovar and Quen? That sounded epic.

Garcia: :: Flushing slightly with embarrassment. :: Ah, right. :: Laughing nervously. :: You heard about that? :: A quizzical look crossed Ben’s face. :: Is that why you wanted to meet, sir?

Pandorn: :: Chuckling. :: While that did sound like fun, that's not why I called you here. ::smirking grin:: Although you were at a disadvantage. Both Vulcans and Bajorans eat much spicier food than naan and curry. No worries, though. I have a 5 alarm chili recipe that'll get you ready for a rematch. But I digress. I asked you here to give you some good news. After talking it over with Admiral Turner, we've decided to ask you if you would be the Second Officer. There is no pressure and you can freely decline the offer. You would not be thought less of if you do. You have proven you are a exemplary officer and we think you can handle the extra duties.

Ben exhaled in relief and visibly relaxed somewhat in his chair although his back was still iron rod straight.

Garcia: Right, of course. :: Nodding. :: Second Officer. :: Ben bit his bottom lip slightly. :: It took me by surprise. :: Ben leant forward enthusiastically. :: A good surprise I mean.

Pandorn: :: Smiles warmly. :: I'll take that as acceptance. Congratulations, Lieutenant. May I offer you some coffee? There are some things we need to go over.

Garcia: I’d like that. :: Warmly. :: Thank you. :: Nodding. :: It’d be good to get the heads up on what’s expected.

Pandorn: :: Nods. :: You do know what the basic duties of 2XO are, yes?

Garcia: :: With a cheeky smile. :: Well, a few more night shifts, sir. :: Ben shifted in his chair, cleared his throat and spoke in a more even tone. :: Understudy to the 1XO … :: Nodding. :: … there’ll be a lot to learn, and I’m ready for the challenge. :: Ben’s eyes widened. :: It’s a big jump up from Helm.

Pandorn: You can handle it, I'm sure. :: Smiles. :: I will also keep you abreast of what is going on around the Embassy. Like the arrival of the Romulan Republic's Ambassador.

Garcia: :: Intrigued, Ben’s eyes widened. :: The Ambassador’s due here? :: Contemplatively. :: Ambassador Brell timed his arrival well then. :: Ben nodded his head gently while he paused briefly. :: Especially with … :: Ben struggled for his words a second. :: … well, the recent mission …

Pandorn: Response?

Garcia: :: Nodding firmly in agreement. :: Yea, the Major and Daroo will have it under lock, no doubt about it.

Pandorn: Response?

Garcia: :: Warmly. :: Sir, I don’t mean to run before I can walk, but what can I do to help with the preparations?

Ben shifted in his chair as he watched Pandorn pour the coffee. Billows of steam melted into the air as the two china cups filled just below their rim.

Pandorn: Response?

Tag/TBC!

Lieutenant Ben Garcia
Second Officer/HCO