PNPC Charlie McQueen: Time to Go, Kiddo Pt 5: Time to Go Home (Tag: Hontru)

Kayla Drex

Aug 7, 2019, 3:34:38 PM8/7/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle
((Starbase 281 - Commercial Area))

:: Charlie felt like she was floating. Nothing seemed real, yet everything she looked at now seemed more colorful - more vibrant. She and Kayla had left the Child Services office a little over an hour ago. They'd sat there for what had at the time felt like a hundred years but really (according to the clock anyway) been about four hours. Miss Stebbins kinda scared Charlie at first. She kept glancing up from her terminal toward Charlie and Kayla sitting together in the waiting room. After the first couple references came in though, the Andorian lady had grown softer toward them - less cranky anyway. By the end of their wait, Charlie was convinced all the character references for Kayla had been glowing because Miss Stebbins was actually smiling at the two of them. ::

:: The pre-teen had watched as Kayla filled out about a zillion forms, giving what seemed to be a full life history. Finally Miss Stebbins had said, "This has been a very strange day, I'm not going to lie to you, Miss Drex. But ... it seems like something brought you two together. Your background is spotless, your duty record though short, speaks of a highly-motivated, capable young woman, and I for one believe Miss Charlie here will be able to learn a lot from you." Kayla had responded with something Charlie hadn't heard. She was smiling so hard then that her ears were ringing. It was real. She'd pinched herself so many times to be sure she wasn't dreaming, she was pretty sure a bruise was forming. ::

:: They'd walked out of the office once everything was sorted, hand-in-hand, Charlie's feet barely touching the ground. Kayla looked happy too. Then again, Kayla usually looked happy. The girls walked to the commercial section of the base, where they got lunch at a place Charlie'd always wanted to try, but hadn't had any way to pay when she was last here. After lunch, Kayla said she needed to pick up a dress she'd ordered for a friend's wedding. It all just seemed so ... normal. ::

Charlie: So who's your friend? The one getting married.

Drex: Her name's Maddi. She and her fiance Esa were friends of mine back at the Academy. I think you'll like them.

Charlie: ::beat:: Wait ... I'm going too?

:: Kayla smiled at her then like she'd been keeping a secret for weeks, even though it must have only just popped into her head. ::

Drex: Of course, silly! Why do you think I'd be buying you this?

:: With a flourish, Kayla pulled a dress from the display and held it out for Charlie's inspection. It was a soft yellow dress made from ... Charlie didn't know what, but it was soft as heck. She stroked the beautiful material with a tenuous hand and barely believing gaze. For her? Really? oO Oh MAN! I'm gonna look like a PRINCESS! Oo ::

Charlie: Kayla, it's gorgeous! Are you sure? I mean, it's not too much trouble?

Drex: ::Scoffing playfully:: Pffff ... girl, please. I'm the Maid of Honor. My "plus one" simply has to look her best. Do you really like it?

:: Five full seconds elapsed as Charlie looked for words. But ... her brain ... no work ... ERROR. She stepped quickly past the dress to get to Kayla. The child's arms wrapped around her midsection. Sometimes a hug was better than words anyway. There were things a simple, "Thanks," couldn't cover. Charlie was grateful to Kayla for so much. Miss Stebbins might have been right after all: something had brought the two of them together. ::

((Shuttle Condor - 2 Hours Later))

O'Rourke: ::confused to see Charlie again:: I thought ... Lieutenant?

Drex: It's OK, Donovan. She's with me now. I've just officially been declared Miss Charlie McQueen's foster parent.

:: Donovan O'Rourke's eyebrows practically disappeared into his tawny hairline. Charlie giggled at his reaction. ::

O'Rourke: If you say so, ma'am. Are we ... that is, are you both ready to head back to the Eagle?

:: Kayla nodded to O'Rourke, then turned to Charlie. ::

Drex: What do you say, kiddo? Wanna head home?

((Small timeskip))

Drex: Hey, Charlie?

:: Charlie had been dozing in the shuttle, her head rested on Kayla's shoulder, but at this, she inhaled sharply, jerking back to full consciousness. ::

Charlie: Hm? Wha's goin' on? Are we there yet?

Drex: Not yet. I figure we still have another hour or so. I just wanted to talk to you about something.

oO That doesn't sound particularly inviting. Oo

Charlie: ::Now alert:: Sure, what's up?

Drex: Well, it's just ... the whole stowing away on the Eagle thing. That sort of security breach is a really serious thing. Honestly, you're lucky they were willing to just send you away instead of having you locked up and tried for crimes against the Federation. I don't fully understand why it shook out the way it did, if I'm being honest. Thing is, Charlie, now that we're going back to the Eagle, you're going to have to see the people you wronged with your plot. I don't know what kind of punishment Katya's facing, but considering you'll be on the ship too, I think it's only fair that you face a similar punishment to hers.

:: Charlie cast her gaze downward at that. Kayla was right. Charlie hadn't considered this aspect of going back to the Eagle. ::

Charlie: Can I start by apologizing to the crewman we tricked? He's the one I feel worst about. I guess Mr. Vescori should get an apology too. I can say sorry to everybody on the ship if you think it'd help.

Drex: I don't know about all that. And I don't think saying you're sorry will be anywhere near enough to make up for the damage you did to people's trust and faith in you. You've got a long way to go before you can even start with a clean slate. Taking whatever punishment that's given will be a good start though.

Charlie: OK, Kayla. I want people to know I'm not trying to cause trouble. Whatever you think is fair, I trust you.

:: They rode in the shuttle the rest of the way in silence. Charlie tried napping a bit more, but to no avail. She couldn't sleep now. Her dumb brain wanted to go over different ways to make it right with the crew of the Eagle. She would make it right. She had to. This was her new life, and she wanted to start off better. Still, like Mr. Hal said, she had to play the hand she'd been dealt. ::

((USS Eagle, Deck 10, Shuttlebay 1))

Drex: Thanks, Donovan. Have a good evening.

O'Rourke: You too, sir.

Charlie: Bye, Mr. Donovan!

O'Rourke: See ya round, squirt.

:: Kayla and Charlie exited the bay, walking down the corridor on deck 10, entered the turbolift where Kayla ordered it to Deck 3: Charlie's new home. She wondered as the lift sped upwards through the ship's decks what it would be like. What kind of room would she have? Would she have her own room? She honestly didn't mind if she had to sleep on a couch for a while. She looked up at Kayla (who didn't notice the girl's gaze), and smiled to herself. She'd been doing that a lot lately. ::

:: The turbolift stopped and the duo got out, walking slowly down the corridor toward room 320. When they were part way there though, Charlie stopped in her tracks. ::

Drex: Charlie?

Charlie: Shh ... did you hear that? Is there a dog around here?

Drex: Well, yeah. There's Mandy, Lieutenant Chloe Waters' dog. ::pointing a ways down the corridor:: She lives down there.

Charlie: No, this sounded closer. Is there another dog?

:: Kayla looked confusedly at her for a second. She listened hard, straining to hear what Charlie had, but hearing nothing, she shrugged. ::

Drex: Not that I'm aware of. I guess it's possible though. There are a couple new ensigns I haven't met yet.

:: With perfect timing, a uniformed Caitain male stepped out room 334. Charlie let out a small squeak as she caught a glimpse of a dog in the quarters behind him. ::

Charlie: There! I knew it!

Hontru: Response

Charlie: You have a dog! I knew I wasn't crazy.

:: She only then noticed the fact this officer was not only covered in fur, but also had a tail. And cat-like ears. And ... whiskers! ::

Charlie: woah...

Drex: ::in an undertone:: Charlie, don't be rude. ::to Honrtu:: Sorry about that. I don't believe we've officially met. I'm Kayla. You're Ensign Hontru, right?

Hontru: Response

TAG/TBC

~ Charlie McQueen ~
(simmed by Kayla Drex)