PNPC Charlie McQueen: Really? You'll Help Me? (tag: Mika)

Kayla Drex

Jul 8, 2019, 12:59:46 PM7/8/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle
(( Sickbay-Deck 5– USS Eagle))

Mika: As far as I can tell, you’re doing the best you can with the hand you’ve been dealt. And it’s a tough hand to play.

Charlie: What do you mean? I've only ever had two hands.

Mika: It’s a figure of speech. Humans play games with cards and the cards they’re given at the beginning of the game are called their ‘“hand.”

Charlie: ::blushing at her ignorance:: Oh. Gotcha. I guess there's plenty I don't know.

Mika: Yeah :: beat:: me too.

Charlie: Can I ask you a question?

Mika: Go ahead.

Charlie: Do you ... do you think there's any chance they'll let me stay here?

Mika: Well…

::She figured it might be helpful to offer something useful to better her odds. Again, motormouth kicked in.::

Charlie: I'll do anything really. I'll sweep up in the mess hall, I can ... I dunno ... alphabetize the spare relay stores. I'm good with components! I could be an extra pair of hands in a store room or something! Please please PLEEEEEEASE!!!

Mika: Really, it’s up to Captain Oddas, but I doubt she’d let you stay here without someone to look out for you.

Charlie: I don't want to be a burden. I can look after myself. I won't get in the way!

Mika: I know you can take care of yourself, but…

::He paused a moment as he seemed to consider Charlie. She wanted to shy away from his searching look, but didn't. She couldn't quite read emotions yet, but she could tell Hal was a good guy. Furthermore, she could read on his face that he was genuinely trying to find some way he could help her out. So she just looked back at him ... and held her tongue this time.::

Mika: but there are all sorts of rules. If you want, I can talk to the captain, and get something figured out so you can stay on the Eagle instead of getting moved around all the time.

Charlie: ::tearing up:: Really? You want to help me stay?

::She fought hard to keep the tears back. She was losing that fight. He understood how much she didn't want to get bounced around. No matter what happened next, Charlie counted Hal Mika as her friend. She gave up fighting the tears, launched herself from her chair and wrapped the Eagle's counselor in a tight hug - the kind of hug so packed with abandon and transparent emotion, only a child can give.::

Charlie: Thank you, Mr. Hal. I'm gonna do good. Please tell the Captain I won't get in the way. I'll follow every rule perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you

Mika: response

Charlie: I know, but you WANT to help me. That's kind of a big deal. I'm gonna repay you for this one day, Mr. Hal. For serious. I suck at cooking though, so cookies are out. I dunno. I'll figure it out. Point is, thank you.

Mika: response

::Charlie finally let go of him and settled back in her chair. For the first time in a long while, she felt the seed of hope taking root in her heart. Then, a poem her Dad used to recite to her at bedtime floated through her mind::

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child.
Listen to the don'ts.
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...
Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

((OOC, this poem is by Shel Silverstein))

TAG & TBC

 ~ Charlie McQueen ~
(simmed by Kayla Drex)
USS Eagle, NCC-74659