LtJG Kayla Drex: Christmas in Inlet PT5 (NT, JP backsim with Eleanor Alexander)

Kayla Drex

Jan 22, 2019, 8:54:59 AM1/22/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle

::Eleanor’s gaze finally settled on Michael, for some reason she felt as though his gift was the least generous, the least exciting, but she hoped he would enjoy it all the same.”

Alexander: Michael, I apologise in advance, I feel like your gift is not as glamorous as everyone else’s, I just hope your not disappointed. However, if one does not mind, you will have to accompany me on a short walk to actually see your present.

Michael: I wouldn’t mind in the slightest. oO If I’m being honest, ten minutes with you would be better than all these other gifts combined. … Michael, you’re a sap. Oo

Alexander: Excellent, let me get my coat.

Drex: I’ll get mine!

Leanna: ::Accurately reading the look shared between Michael and Eleanor:: Actually, Sparks, I was hoping you could explain what you meant in one of your last letters. What exactly are the standards aesthetic considerations for new ship design proposal?

::Kayla immediately and completely forgot about getting her coat, and with a quick wink at her son, Leanna sent her son on his way.::

::After a few minutes, Eleanor was finally ready to brave the snow, she had wrapped up warm and was ready to leave::

Alexander: Let’s go ::she said with a smile, as both her and Michael left the house::

(( Lakeside, Drex Family Home))

::Even with her large winter coat, Eleanor still felt the chill. The snow crunching under their feet, Michael certainly had a large smile on his face but the pair didn’t seem to be doing much talking, as though either one was too shy.::

oO SAY something, stupid! Oo

Michael: Snow is pretty cold.

oO Oh God. Well, you said something stupid alright. Oo

Alexander: ::smiling:: I would certainly be concerned if the snow was warm.

Michael: Sorry, I don’t often get flustered. Can I be incredibly awkward with you for a moment?

Alexander: The way Kayla talks about you, I can’t imagine you been flustered, after all you're a diplomat, it must take alot. ::She said with a large smile on her face::

Michael: Well, it’ll sound awkward, but it’s the only way this truth can come out without me just exploding. I like you. No, that’s not the best phrasing. I’m deeply impressed by you, Miss Alexander. The people in my family … well, we’re good at people. It’s obvious that Kayla adores you. That right there means you’re probably one of the best people in existence, but the ease and speed with which the rest of the family has fallen for you.

::Michael trailed off, thinking about his phrasing again.::

Michael: Oh brother, I sound completely daft. Here’s the thing, Eleanor… ::stopping and turning to her:: I like you. I have a feeling I could like you a lot more if we could spend more time together. I mean, could I … maybe … write you? Visit?

oO You are making an absolute ass of yourself, buck-o Oo

::Michael’s face felt hot in spite of the freezing temperature. He was usually so good with words. Why was simply being alone with Eleanor enough to make him forget how to form intelligible and intelligent sentences?::

Alexander: One shall have to run it by your sister, after all she might not like her best friend getting closer to her brother ::she teased waiting to see his reaction::

Michael: ::Realising his mouth was hanging agape:: Oh - yeah, I mean … I wouldn’t want to cause you any undue stress!

oO Oh God, Kayla, how insufferable are you going to be now? Oo

::Things had certainly taken an unexpected turn, it wasn’t something Eleanor was expecting when she had agreed to spend Christmas with her friend. Also they had only just met, not that there was any denying that there wasn’t a mutual attraction, Michael was certainly attractive and well defined, any women would be lucky to gain such attention. However, Eleanor was concerned, Michael was an up and coming diplomat, she had left home with a strict understanding and agreement, and if he did too much digging he might uncover the truth. Smiling actually picturing her mother's face as Michael confessed his feelings. If they were on Cayava Prime certain protocol and traditions would have to  be followed, but luckily for her, at the moment she was free to choose for herself.::

Michael: Um … yeah. Where are we going anyway?

Alexander: ::Smiling:: Oh, not far, just around the corner of the la…. ::suddenly losing her footing in the snow, falling straight towards Michael.::

::instinctively, Michael lunged forward. He’d grown up on this lake, and knew how treacherous the footing here could be at times. He held Eleanor close to himself until he was sure she was stable again. It was only at this time he realised the position he’d gotten himself into - he was holding her, their faces mere inches apart. He looked into her blue eyes. They caught the cold winter sunlight and held them in myriad tiny prisms in her irises.::

Michael: Are you alright?

::Eleanor felt herself going flush, Michael had caught her just in the nick of time, his strong arms wrapped around her, supporting her. It actually felt like the snow was melting under her feet, her heart started to slowly pound in her chest.::

Oo Kiss me, oh kiss me, she instinctively thought, before quickly snapping back into reality. Oo

Alexander: :: Breathing hard, her attention caught by his light blue piercing eyes:: I...I’m fine thank you. ::She said, shaking her head and regaining her composure.:: It must have been more slippery than I anticipated.

Michael: ::somewhat breathlessly:: Yeah. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how carefully you walk out here. You still find yourself falling.

::He was still holding her. The warmth from her breath and the feel of her arms around him for support (not that she needed it at this point) was intoxicating. He noticed a few stray hairs had slipped out from the thick knit hat Eleanor had received that morning. Not thinking, he reached up with his right hand to tuck them behind her ear for her. When his finger tips grazed her skin, his world - his whole existence simultaneously expanded beyond infinity and contracted to contain only the two of them.::

Michael: Aw, what the heck …

::He kissed her then. It was a simple, sweet, but honest kiss. He held it for just a moment, fearing she would pull away. He was terrified that he had misinterpreted the signals, but he also knew that somehow his entire life relied on this kiss. Such a simple action with such incredibly dense possibility.::

Oo What the hell...Oo

::Although subconsciously she had longed for the kiss, she was taken aback and instinctively pulled away. This had been the first time a man had been intimate with her, back home it wouldn’t have happened, a gentleman would have waited for her to extend her hand out, dipped lightly to signal that she approved of him kissing her hand, there certainly wouldn’t have been any physical contact, otherwise he would have ended been arrested. It wasn’t common place for a male to approach a lady of such standing in such a manner, and truth be told, Eleanor had never had a boyfriend or relationship before.::

Alexander: I….I….::A slight tone of panic in her voice, signaling her inexperience::

::Michael felt his chest contract. Oh no. She didn’t want that. He’d read wrong. Instantly, all the possible ramifications of his actions flashed through his mind.::

Michael: Oh God. I’m so sorry, I …

Alexander: It’s fine ::composing herself:: I believe you asked where we were going ::trying to divert the awkwardness:: just over to the boathouse.

oO “It’s fine?” Does … does that mean she doesn’t suddenly hate me? Oo

::Michael’s mind only then registered the word “boathouse.” Why would they be going there? The lake was frozen with a good foot and a half of ice at least.::

Michael: ::Intrigued:: Ok, Miss Alexander. To the boathouse. But … maybe you should take my arm? The ground here is gravel under the snow. I’d hate for you to fall.

::The kiss was unexpected but...but wow... it had overwhelmed her and she didn’t know how to respond, afterall that had been her first kiss. How did one proceed...she could not let him get too close, what if he started to look into her family, her past. Should she let this opportunity pass her by simply to maintain the quiet, safe, agreed plan as laid down by her mother and farther, or did she take a chance but hold certain parts of her life and childhood back. But then how could a relationship be forged if she was holding the most important part of her life back? These emotions, this thought process was overwhelming for her, how could a simple kiss make her feel this way, she certainly need to ponder on it.::

Alexander: ::Looking at Michael, noticing the nervousness now between them:: Such a gentleman, thank you. ::Gently taking his arm and giving it a little squeeze.::

::It wasn’t far to the boathouse. The two of them got there in about five minutes walking carefully, hardly daring to speak. Michael never wanted to get there. He would have been happy to just walk arm in arm with this lovely enigmatic young woman forever. As is the case however when you most want to prolong a journey, it seems to end all the sooner. The boathouse now stood in front of them. The building was old - about 95 years, having been built by some previous owner of this property, but still in excellent repair.::

Michael: Well, here we are. I doubt it’s much warmer inside, but there’s a heater we can turn on, if you’re cold.

Alexander: ::Knowing fine well what lies beyond the door, she couldn't help but smile:: After you.

::He nodded and took the last few steps to the double cedar doors. He pressed his thumb to the pad next to them and heard the lock open. The two of them walked through the doors into the dim, chilly room. Raised above the water level, Michael saw a small but elegant cutter.::

Michael: Is that … ?

Alexander: Kayla said you liked the water and to be honest I really was not sure what to get an upcoming diplomat, so yes, this is your new sailboat.

::He walked up, in awe of the craftsmanship. The hull was smooth, as though she’d been made from spun glass instead of carved by hand. He ran his hand down the length, feeling the cold, masterfully-crafted vessel as he walked from prow to stern. When he got to the rear of the boat, he lifted himself up over the rail. Now that he was actually on-board, the extent of the perfection was more apparent. The sails - he’d never seen such meticulously-made sheeting. Even in their furled and stowed state, he knew they were absolutely top-of-the-line.::

Michael: It’s almost perfect, Eleanor.

Alexander: ::Surprised:: Almost...if something is wrong I can get the builders to……

Michael:::jumping down from the deck to stand in front of her:: You have to come out for the launch. With you on board, it will be the proudest ship that’s ever been made. She’s lovely, Eleanor, and I’m incredibly grateful, but next to you … well, ::blushing visibly, even in the dim light:: you’ve already given me a gift beyond my dreams. ::chuckle:: Is that corny?

Alexander: ::Averting her eyes from his gaze:: I’m glad you like it.

::Michael watched, entranced as the light filtering in from the windows at the top of the walls caught in the beads of water from melted snow on Eleanor’s eyelashes. How was she real? IS she real? He wondered. How long they stood like that, Michael had no inkling, but coming eventually to his senses, he realized she must be freezing.::

Michael:We should probably head back to the house. You look like you could do with a nice peppermint hot chocolate.

:: The tension was high, they were both walking on eggshells::

Alexander: ::Slowly approaching Michael :: About earlier… ::Literally standing in front of him::

Michael: Yes? ::he could feel his heart beating in his neck.::

::Eleanor felt him tense up as she placed her hand on his chest::

Alexander: It’s just that…::she hesitated::

Michael: You are afraid of disappointing someone.

::His diplomat training had just kicked in. Michael saw all the signs, written on Eleanor’s face as clear as day.::

Michael: There are … expectations. You don’t want to let someone down. I’m right? Eleanor, if there is anything I can -

::Standing on her tiptoes she slowly closed her eyes and placed a soft gentle kiss on his lips::

::His world exploded again. This time, she’d kissed him. Somewhere in the universe, new stars were being born while old ones gave off their last photons. Somewhere, deals were being struck that would signal the dawning of new empires. Somewhere, people were singing, people were crying, people were eating, people were playing … None of it mattered. She kissed him. That mattered.

::He gently, as if afraid of bursting a soap bubble, wrapped his arms around her. There was no pretense of steadying her now. If anything, Michael now felt as though he could use steadying. His knees felt as though they would give way. He didn’t really care if they did though, confident he would continue to float on the spot.::

::They walked back to the house a short while later, both of them quiet, but not in the tense silence they’d shared walking to the boathouse. Michael felt as though his coat had grown tighter. His heart still beat against his ribs when he looked at her. She was stunning, and the smiles she now graced him with were surely what every painter to ever hold a brush wished to capture. They’d all failed miserably.::

Michael: I’m assuming you’d like to tell Kayla first?

::Michael brought their meandering conversation back to practicality as the house came back into sight.::

Alexander: ::Glancing at him:: Tell her what?

::Eleanor pondered again for a moment, they had shared a kiss and she enjoyed his company, but this was all new to her and she was used to keeping some secrets to herself, after all it was just a kiss, nothing that needed to be shared at this stage, after all it was still early days.::

Michael: ::Catching on:: Ok. I can go with that. ::smiling::

Alexander: I don’t think Kayla needs to know that we kissed just yet ::she said again smiling, showing him a side of her that few people rarely got to see:: I would however like it if you did write or visit ::she said blushing and looking directly into his blue eyes::

Michael: Nothing could keep me away.

Alexander: Anyway, until you actually take me out on an official date you might have some competition, you know what the cadets are like at the academy ::she said terasing him to see if he would get jealous::

Michael: The … cadets? ::a beat while he realized he was being messed with:: Ah. Yes. Well, I … uh.

::His voice trailed away, unable to form a valid response to her jibe.::

Alexander: ::slipping her hand gently into his:: I guess you’ll just have to make sure you visit quite soon.

Michael: I promise.

TBC

_______________________________

Simmed by:

Lieutenant JG Kayla Drex

Science Officer

USS Eagle, NCC-74659

Image Collective

Writer ID: E239510KD0

Science is life, art is soul, love is home

Wiki: Kayla Drex

    ~and~

Ensign Eleanor Alexander

Engineer