Ensign Kayla Drex: A Spark Lights a Fire PART ONE (BACKSIM JP with Ens. Eleanor Alexander)

Kayla Drex

Dec 18, 2018, 1:54:53 PM12/18/18
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle

((PART ONE))

((Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth. Stardate 239411.28))

::Kayla walked out of the science department’s main building. It was an unseasonably cold day for San Francisco, and the breeze that greeted her caused a shiver to shake her whole body. The sudden movement made the shoulder strap of her bag jump from its perch, the resulting crash landing sending its contents skittering across the smooth granite front steps of the building.::

Drex: Well darn.

::She sighed deeply, resigned to spending the next 5 minutes of her day collecting the remains of a model starship she’d been tinkering with. She was so absorbed in thought as she picked up a tiny nacel here, a miniature deflector dish there, that she didn’t hear the soft footsteps of someone approaching.::

::Eleanor watched the young lady as the tragic event unfolded, she understood how embarrassing it could be having the contents of one’s bag spilled into public view. What was more bemusing to Eleanor was the fact that several men, and women had passed by without offering to help the poor lady::

Alexander: Allow me to help you with that ::reaching for some of the pieces of the model: looks like a Veritas class vessel to me.

Drex: ::startled, Kayla turns to see the newcomer:: Oh! Wow, I forget how quietly you walk, Eleanor. ::taking the proffered piece:: Thanks. As for the class, yes and no. It started out as a Veritas, but the more I tinker with my calculations, the more I realize the nacel placement is all wrong. Not for warp travel - that’s fine, but for my purposes….

::Her voice faded away, almost as though she’d said too much. She trusted her friend implicitly. They’d been close for a little over a year now. Eleanor was never harsh, always had a sympathetic ear, and was an incredibly bright engineer. Kayla had felt a bond with her immediately, but when it came to this ship… well, some things are better left unsaid until the timing is right.::

::Eleanor’s face remained emotionless, but she was smiling on the inside:

Alexander: Well you forget I almost glide when I walk, so graceful and quiet ::Pondered on Kayla’s problem for a moment:: but it might not be nacel placement, your calculations could be wrong, I would be willing to look them over for you, if it would help.

::Kayla studied the soft features of Eleanor’s face. She could help with this, but that would mean widening the circle of trust with what was sure to be the biggest accomplishment of Kayla’s career.::

Drex: How about this? What are you doing for dinner tonight? I was planning on getting some Chinese food from San Tung tonight and eating in my dorm. Interested in joining me? I can show you what I’m working on then.

::Eleanor had heard nothing but good things about San Tung, and in all honesty she hadn’t tried it yet, back home she wouldn't need to bother about such trivial things as cooking::

Alexander: Sounds delicious, I’d love to try it.

Drex: ::beaming:: Great! 1900? I’ll get a variety of things, and we’ll eat till we can’t move anymore. San Tung is amazing. There’s a reason they’ve been in business for over a century!

((Time skip: 1900 hrs))

((Cadet Drex’s Dorm Room))

::She’s probably gone overboard. Actually, she was sure she had, but it wasn’t every day Kayla had a friend for dinner, and the conversation that would accompany and follow deserved to be marked by deliciousness. She’d gotten Egg Fu Yong, steamed pork dumplings, roast duck lo mein, sweet and sour chicken, wonton soup (extra wontons of course), crab rangoons, spicy beef and broccoli, and mu goo gai pan. There was no room left on her little table for eating with it all spread out, so she’d set up a small eating area at the coffee table. Punctual as ever, the bell chimed, and Kayla welcomed her friend.::

Drex: Hi, Ellie! So, I went a little crazy, but whatever we don’t eat will keep me fed until the end of term. ::a small laugh:: I hope you don’t mind, I’ve had to resort to floor seating. I did put out some cushions for us to sit on though.

::She looked tenuously at Eleanor’s face, watching for a reaction.::

::Eleanor gently nodded, her face wouldn’t give anything away, years of coaching and practise made sure to that, in fact some people would argue that she was cold as a Vulcan but nothing was further from the truth, at heart Eleanor was very emotional, she just was not expected to show it, Oo sitting on the floor Oo she thought to herself for a moment, unsure of what to say, only the gentle voice of her mother filled her mind,’a lady does not attempt to sit on the floor Eleanor.::

Alexander: I’m sure somehow we shall manage Oo how am I going to pull this off Oo.

::The two young women filled plates with a variety of dishes from the table (Kayla’s plate was a small mountain), and walked into the living room.::

Drex: Do you want chopsticks or a fork and knife? And what can I get you to drink?

Alexander: ::Turning slightly red Oo what is a chopstick Oo she thought to herself as she didnt want to ask a stupid question:: I better take a knife and fork please, and a glass of De La Babour if you have one ::Ordering out of habit and custom, then suddenly realising that the young Cadet wouldn't have such a rare vintage of wine on hand:: Or whatever you have available, thank you.

Drex: oO De La huh? Oo Ummm… I can see if the replicator has that programed, but it would be synthehol. Is that a French wine? I haven’t heard of it. I did just finish a batch of homemade kombucha this morning. Would you like to try that if the replicator doesn’t have the wine?

Alexander: I’ll try the kombucha, synthehol just does not cut it for me, thank you.

::Kayla brought the drinks and utensils to the coffee table, set them down and lowered herself gracefully (yoga was one of her favorite workouts) onto the pouf she’d set out earlier.::

::Eleanor was still stood, she had observed how her friend had lowered herself, but this was going to the first time that she had actually tired sitting on the floor. Eleanor tried gently bending her legs to the side and lowering herself, but she only got half way before pausing and standing again. Shifting to the side she again tired adjust her legs unsuccessfully, Oo God knows what she’s thinking watching me Oo she thought to herself before finally attempting an odd angle, but alas it wasn’t to be, she came crashing down on the floor and ended up heaped on her back.::

:: For a moment Eleanor was in complete shock, she had just made a complete fool out of herself infront of her friend, but a strange emotion stirred and Eleanor let out an almighty laugh, she couldn’t help herself or suppress it.::

Drex: OH MY GOD, ARE YOU OK!?

::Kayla then realized she’d never heard Eleanor laugh - not like this anyway. The sound was pure, musical, and infectious. Soon the two girls were both on the floor, Kayla having fallen there from doubling up laughing. After a moment though, they regained composure and sat up.::

Drex: ::wiping away tears:: That was amazing, El. Whew! Well, I’ve certainly worked up an appetite. Dig in!

::The ensuing feast was seasoned with the best of all condiments: jovial companionship. They talked over trivial matters while they ate, and when Kayla let fall her chopsticks with a clatter admitting defeat, she asked the question.::

Drex: So, you want to know what I’ve been working on?

TBC/NT

Simmers:

Ensign Kayla Drex

Science Officer