Lt Kayla Drex and Charlie McQueen: Time to Go, Kiddo Pt 4: What If? (NT)

Kayla Drex

Aug 6, 2019, 3:16:26 PM8/6/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle
((OOC - I tried to make this read like a JP, since I think it's important in this scene to get both perspectives.))

((Shuttle Condor))

:: Charlie looked so small just then. So vulnerable and helpless. Of course Kayla didn't believe for a second that Charlie couldn't handle herself just fine in most circumstances, but she now felt a different kind of connection to this child. They needed each other. She walked over and sat next to the girl, saying nothing for a full minute. ::

Charlie: ::impatiently:: Are you gonna tell me what that was about, or am I just gonna die of curiosity?

oO Don't laugh, Kayla, don't ... laugh. Oo

Drex: ::poker face (such as it was) in place:: Well, I needed to contact Captain Oddas. See, the thing is, Charlie, I think you're a really good kid. You're smart, funny, well-behaved when you aren't sneaking onto a heavily guarded Starfleet ship with experimental equipment ...

:: She allowed herself a small smirk toward Charlie to let her know she was only poking fun. Goodness knew she'd gotten lectured enough. ::

Drex: ... but see the thing is, Captain Oddas and I think it's best for you - for your future to be in the Federation Child Services program. You'll have better opportunities, more options down the road, and better legal and physical protection and support than you would if you tried to go it alone.

:: Charlie felt herself deflate. She really liked Kayla. She'd hoped that the "call" Kayla'd been making was going to end with her being allowed to stay on the Eagle. Now though, it seemed all hope was lost. ::

Charlie: ::dejected:: Yeah, I guess. I just really hoped by some miracle I was gonna get to stay is all.

Drex: You know, Charlie, a Federation starship isn't the safest place - especially in the Wilds.

Charlie: I grew up on a small trading ship with my Mom and Dad - AND we were in the Wilds. Seems like a Federation ship is a couple steps up from a ship that barely had defensive weapons.

Drex: I can't argue with that.

:: Kayla struggled with her words. Her tongue wasn't cooperating. Her heart knew what she wanted to say, but somewhere between there, her brain, and her mouth, the message was getting lost. oO Maybe bypass the faulty systems, Kay. Speak from the heart. Oo ::

Drex: Charlie, when we dock at the station, I have to take you to Child Services, but ...

:: Charlie's eyes flicked toward Kayla at this last hopeful word. ::

Drex: But what would you think ... How would you ... What if ... What if I applied to be your foster parent?

:: Charlie felt her face flush, drain, go hot, go numb, and finally wet as tears started sliding down her cheeks. If this was a joke, she'd never forgive Kayla. It would be too cruel. If she was serious though ... ::

Charlie: You wouldn't joke about something like that, would you?

Drex: What? No! Of course not! That would be evil!

:: Charlie lunged toward Kayla, wrapping her arms around her neck. They were both crying again. ::

:: Crewman O'Rourke had been trying his best not to eavesdrop, but after the 7th flyby of the station, he brought the shuttle to a full stop and walked to the passenger cabin. ::

O'Rourke: ::clearing his throat uneasily:: Um, Lieutenant? Can I dock now?

Drex: ::somewhat embarrassed the young crewman had seen such a raw display of emotion:: Yeah. That'd be great, Donovan, thanks.

O'Rourke: Yes, Ma'am.

((fifteen minutes later, Starbase 281 - Federation Child Services Office))

:: Kayla and Charlie walked into the office of Federation Child Services. They'd at least tried to make it feel welcoming - photographs of smiling people cluttered the walls of the waiting room while the squashy chairs tried their best to look inviting. Kayla felt Charlie's hand suddenly in hers. She looked at the girl, offering what she hoped was a reassuring gentle squeeze to the girl's small hand. ::

Drex: ::in an undertone:: It's gonna be ok. I'm not leaving you.

Stebbins: Good afternoon, ladies! How can I help you today?

:: The middle-aged Andorian woman at the front desk was certainly chipper enough. Kayla handed her the PADD containing the situation report. ::

Drex: I believe you were notified we would be coming by today. This is Charlotte McQueen. I'm Lieutenant Kayla Drex of the USS Eagle.

Stebbins: Ah yes! Miss McQueen, we were expecting you about an hour ago. ::reading over the information on the PADD:: Everything here seems to be in order. If you'd like, Miss Drex, you're free to go. I can take her from here-

Drex: Actually ... and sorry to interrupt, but ... there's been a bit of a development.

:: The woman raised an eyebrow and antenna questioningly in unison. ::

Stebbins: A ... development?

Drex: Yes. You see, I would like to be Charlie's foster parent. I'll fill out whatever paperwork needs to be filled out, and can give you a list of references-

Stebbins: Well, this is highly irregular, Miss Drex.

Drex: ::not breaking stride:: My service history is immaculate, I can give you a list of people who will vouch for my character, and-

Stebbins: This just isn't how these matters are handled! Miss McQueen isn't even formally in the system yet!

Drex: I'll wait. I'm technically on shore leave anyway. I'll sleep on those creepy easy chairs if I have to, but I'm not leaving here without Charlie. I ... I promised her.

:: That caught the representative off-guard. Kayla prepared to launch into the logical defense of her proposition, with detailed scientific backing if needed, but the woman (now half-way between seated and standing) turned to look at Charlie, weighing the situation. ::

Stebbins: "Charlie" is it? Not Charlotte?

Charlie: That's right, ma'am. ::beat:: If it helps anything, I really do want to stay with Kayla. I'll be good. Helpful, you know? I won't get in the way or make things hard for anybody. The Eagle already feels more like home to me than anywhere since my parents died. Please don't make me leave it.

:: Kayla noticed the Andorian's antennae droop with sympathy at this, and gently seized the opportunity. ::

Drex: ::checking the name placard on the desk:: Miss Stebbins, please. Charlie needs me, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I need her too. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I would die for the people I love. I will care for and protect this girl with my last breath if I have to.

:: All three of them stood silently for quite a while. Miss Stebbins finally realized she was half standing and sat heavily into her chair. ::

Stebbins: You're both sure?

:: Kayla and Charlie nodded in perfect unison and fervor. ::

Stebbins: ::to herself:: Well my day just got a lot weirder. Janice is not going to believe this. Why does the weird stuff always happen when I cover a shift? I should be at home right now reading the new "Frosted Love" novel, but noooooo, I just had to help out and pick up this shift.

:: She rolled her chair to a side desk in one swift kick of her legs, snatched up a PADD there, rolled back in a practiced manner, and held out the PADD to Kayla. She didn't let go immediately though. ::

Stebbins: This is not a guarantee, Miss Drex. I will need those references you mentioned, and I will need to enter Miss McQueen here into the system before I can sign off on anything. ::She let go of the PADD, allowing Kayla to take it:: But, unless I am terribly mistaken - not something I often am - you, Miss Charlie, won't be on this starbase come morning.

TBC

Lieutenant Kayla Drex
Chief Science Officer
USS Eagle, NCC-74659

Writer ID: E239510KD0
Image Collective, FNS Member,
Training Team, Podcast Team

Science is life, art is soul, love is home
Wiki: Kayla Drex