[BELOW] Lt Kayla Drex - Carpe Potestatem (Seize the Opportunity) (NT - JP with Lt Hal Mika)

Kayla Drex

Sep 24, 2019, 8:53:28 AM9/24/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Eagle

((USS Eagle, Deck 3, after a long shift))

::Kayla was exhausted. When the turbolift doors opened on her deck, she thought for a moment she might just have to crawl the rest of the way to her quarters. Her only three thoughts were (1) shower, (2) Charlie, and (3) Sleep, so when she nearly fell into the young man waiting outside the doors, she didn’t immediately register that it was Hal Mika.::

Drex: Oh gosh, Hal, I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking. ::chuckling in a tired sort of way::

Mika: That’s alright, Kayla. I was standing closer to the doors than I should’ve been.

:: Kayla looked tired. Which made sense; it was the end of Beta shift, so she was probably on her way back to her quarters. Hal was actually on his way to work. Part of being a counselor was that he was always on the clock. Something Crewman Crane was very aware of and often made use of. ::

Mika: Long day?

Drex: Like you wouldn’t believe. I had to practically stand on my head to figure out which way was down. Where are you off to?

:: It took Hal a moment to respond while he deciphered exactly what Kayla meant. Even after six years spent constantly around humans and various other species, there were still nuances to alien metaphor that he didn’t immediately understand. ::

Mika: Work. It’s in my job description that my door is always open.

:: Hal smiled. It was inconvenient, but he didn’t mind too much. In a way he was grateful for Crane’s constant desire to talk; it made him feel needed. Sometimes he felt like he was more a token than a contributing member of the crew. ::

Drex: That sounds exhausting. On a ship even as small as the Eagle, it amazes me you have any time to yourself. Still though, we couldn’t keep it together without you, Mr. Dr. Counselor. You help us stand up when we’ve been knocked down for the 372nd time.

::Only half teasing, Kayla stood at attention (not an easy maneuver in her current state) and saluted.::

Drex: Stafleet thanks you for your inestimable service to the fleet, sir.

:: Hal blushed at the compliment and looked away from Kayla, smiling at the over the top delivery. Kayla was great. Somehow she always seemed to lift Hal’s spirits. He doubted she even realized that he ever needed it. ::

Mika: Thanks, Kayla. That means a lot. Although, I think you’d be surprised at how much time I have to myself.

Drex: Really? Well maybe I should develop some sort of mania or phobia. You know - give you something to do. Hate for you to get bored.

::Kayla yawned. She tried desperately to hold it back. The result was she made a fairly impressive face: somewhere between a surprised pig and a frustrated baboon. Giving up, she covered her mouth and let the yawn happen. ::

Drex: I’m so ::yawning harder:: so sorry. I’ve been on since Alpha shift started. Pulled a double solving for X.

Mika: I suppose I should let you get home then. That’s a long shift. :: beat :: oO You know… Oo you wouldn’t need any phobias or anything if you wanted to spend time with me.

:: Hal didn’t even realize his thoughts had turned into words until they were out. ::

Mika: oO Good going, Hal. Oo

::Kayla literally did a double take. She knew the young Ba’ku was fairly introverted, so this seemingly innocuous statement was practically an overture. She decided, tired as she was, she would tease this out a bit.::

Drex: Why whatever do you mean, Hal?

:: He was in it now. His cheeks flushed red again and he did his best not to stammer. ::

Mika: Well, uh, maybe we could go out some time.

Drex: Like, on a date?

Mika: Yeah. A date.

::She remembered the time they went for drinks, dinner, and dancing at La Cantina Estrella on the Spike. She liked spending time with Hal. This new, relatively bold approach was new and intriguing too. It made her smile in spite of her fatigue.::

Drex: I would be delighted, Hal. I promise to be better-slept then too.

:: Hal smiled and let go of his breath. He hadn’t realized he’d been holding it. But now what? ::

Mika: Good. I-uh, I guess I should get going. We’ll talk later?

Drex: Ok. Um … have a good shift, Hal.

:: Hal stepped into the turbolift, fighting down his grin. He didn’t take chances. Not like that one, at least. It was early yet, but it seemed to have turned out well. ::

::Kayla watched the closed turbolift doors for a few seconds with a smile on her lips that spoke of surprise.::

Drex: ::softly to herself:: Well well ... Hal Mika. ::beat:: huh.

::She giggled briefly and quietly as she turned back toward her quarters and walked down the corridor with a slight spring to her step that was not there mere moments before.::

END (until the date)

Simmed by

Lieutenant Kayla Drex

CSO, USS Eagle