MSNPC Andarys Ohain: A big ask

Sarah Eccles

Jun 24, 2018, 6:24:27 AM6/24/18
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

((Ohain’s Office, Kaetus Scientific Station, Linara))

::Settling onto his seat, Andarys paused and clasped his hands together, mentally steeling himself for what he must do. The world was a challenging place, the universe more so, and irremediably strange, particularly when one’s species had to face the shock of learning that they were one of the stranger things in it.::

::When they’d first discovered that their sun-baked planetary neighbour had evolved not only life but sentience without the protection from solar radiation that Linara enjoyed, it had shattered assumptions about their world. When they’d met the Hinji, those sun-loving shape-shifters, they had seemed bizarre, abominable; perhaps the animosity that had developed between the two species had been as much to do with their disparate natures as the territory dispute.::

::And thus things might have continued, the two species balanced as opposites, like shade-side and star-side, or ‘night and day’ as the Hinji said. Then the Federation had arrived, that vast conglomerate of species, and the Linarans had learned that every one of them lived on a sunlit world, bathed in light, and that they themselves were the strangers, in a strange universe. Could any of those aliens truly appreciate the subtle nuances of landscape lit by starlight?::

::Perhaps not, given their adaption to high light levels. But now, in a universe turned upside down, it was the Linarans’ turn to adapt. The faint hint of light from the the tiny glowpoints set into the walls - mimicking the faint light of native insects they’d traditionally farmed for that purpose - was more than enough for him to see by, but for an alien the room would appear as though in darkness. Carefully Andarys drew the cowl of his warm robes about his face, and fixed therein the heavy veil.::

::Thus prepared Andarys took from his pocket the two small cylinders he’d been given, set one on either side of his computer, and activated them, forcing himself not to wince in the bright light that they emitted. All so that the aliens could see him. Touching a few of the heat-sensitive controls, he directed his connection through to Starbase 118 communications. Perhaps a ship there would be able to help.::

((A few minutes later.))

::The face that appeared as the connection was finally completed belonged to the officer he had been told could respond appropriately. Andarys noted the stark pigmentation, intense brown hair, eyes a deeper blue than he had ever seen, skin that looked like it had been washed in muddy water, so rich was the pigmentation. Like a surrealist painting where the artist only worked in primary colours. And yet, the image was cold. Starfleet cameras apparently did not capture infra-red.::

Ohain: Bright stars and warm stones, Commander Tray-in-or. ::He said formally, raising a translucent-white hand in greeting.:: I appreciate your taking my call.

::In the light of the tiny lamps on his desk, the geometric pattern of Andary’s veil formed stark lines and shadows, and his robes were carefully, crisply folded, their fabric a deep green.::

Traenor: ?

Ohain: I am Andarys Ohain, and I speak on behalf of the Linaran Ministry of Science. As fellow members of the Federation, I must ask the assistance of Starfleet.

Traenor: ?

::The Universal Translater was new technology to the Linarans. How far could such a device be trusted to render languages with no common basis into each other with complete accuracy? He understood the theory, but it was a strange concept. He must trust that they could do so.::

Ohain: Captain Inejiro informs me that the USS Constitution is about to leave for Tifane’s Diadem; that gaseous, star-forming region that I understand you call the ‘Lembatta Cluster’.

Traenor: ?

Ohain: We recently sent a small, crewed exploration vessel there, and thirty-four hours ago, we lost contact with them. I am sure you appreciate that, unlike the… more established members of the Federation, resources mean that our space fleet is fairly limited. ::A tone of bitterness entered his voice.:: Every ship is valuable, even a small scout vessel; doubly so the lives aboard. It is hoped that you could help us rescue them, or at least determine their fate.

Traenor: ?

Ohain: Perhaps I might come aboard, so that we can confer? I can offer you our historical sensor data; our astronomers have watched the Diadem for generations.

::The Federation might have the bigger ships and the more advanced technology, but this was the Linaran and Hinji home ground. As a people they did not like to beg or bargain, but that ship and it’s crew were more important than pride, their mission important to the community.::

Traenor: ?

MSNPC Andarys Ohain

Senior Representative

Ministry of Science