Commodore Jalana Rajel (& Family) - It's a jungle out there

Jess

Aug 6, 2020, 10:24:29 AM8/6/20
to IC Conny

(( Jungles of Endaasi - Day after the party ))

C. Laxyn: Don't you think this is a little ... too much?

P. Laxyn: ::chuckling:: You look like a beekeeper.

After the lunch with T'Seva and her mother she had begun to make preparations for her trip into the jungle. She now wore a full body suit with a hat that had a fine net around her whole head and was fastened at the suit. Her pants, which she hated but were necessary, were stuck in the boots to avoid any gaps, and gloves covered the hem of her sleeves.

V. Laxyn: Don't listen to them, you wear what you want, Jalana.

The Trill sighed and waded through a aisle in the sea of leaves that her family created before her. She carried a cross body bag with her that did not only include water, snack and insect spray, but also a small medkit.

Rajel: I know that for you it must be funny but I am joined you know.

C. Laxyn: Yes yes, you are special.

Rajel: Yeah... real special.

That made Caline stop in her tracks and turn around to her daughter. Jalana had never told them much about her past lives. Especially not about Waeyna who had been a zoologist and died because of an insect bite while she was on excursion to observe animals in the wild. That would make her mother freak out beyond compare. Caline didn't have to ask, Jalana saw the question in her eyes.

Rajel: My biochemistry is different from yours. I just need this, trust me. I'm a doctor.

V. Laxyn: She'll be fine, darling. Stop worrying.

Jalana just had to be extra careful. It wasn't like she had the urge for danger, but her parents really wanted to visit this place, so protecting herself was what she did. The last thing she wanted to do was living in fear of it happening again. After all this had been several lifetimes ago and medicine as well as protective gear had progressed since then. That was what she had done with a drug treatment before because she was afraid to fall back into addiction. So now she was working on working against that fear. She would definitely talk with Saveron about that though.

Rajel: Come on, we are almost there.

She interrupted her parents and waved them with her. She heard them follow and they remained quiet. Well that was better than squabbling to be honest. Prax had been silently looking around and was the first to break through the thicket.

P. Laxyn: Whoa. Look at that.

Jalana was the next to step out of the ocean of leaves and looked up the structure in front of them. Remains of a building that had long lost their natural colour. Not only the sun had bleached the stone, but nature had taken over as well, with patches of wetness, moss and ivy like plant life. Bird nests resting on higher spots, leaves that had let go of trees covering the ground, mingling with stone dust and smaller pebbles. It was coexisting and on the verge of becoming one with the jungle over time.

They strolled around the place together, having a look and being in awe over how old this thing must be to be overgrown and withered like that. Jalana realized she didn't really know anything about the Endaasi and their past. She knew that they didn't have wars, so what happened to those who had been here? Did they simply go away to live somewhere else?

C. Laxyn: This is quite impressive. Do we know what it was used for?

V. Laxyn: Let me find out. ::He pulled out the metallic 'egg' to activate the display. The device scanned the area and their location to display the information about their current location.:: Looks like this was an open common area for an Endaasi village that once was here. The only building of stone to protect it from wear and tear of the foot traffic. It's been abandoned for decades.

Jalana couldn't help but smile, of course her father had grabbed one of the guides to check on things like that. He wouldn't be who he was if not.

C. Laxyn: Does it say why?

V. Laxyn: It says that the village has been here for ten generations and then they decided to move to a new area and give this place back to nature, giving it a break from population so it can recover.

She nodded slightly and carefully stepped over some stones. She tried to imagine what the structure would have looked like when people still frequented here. This kind of thing was more what her parents were interested in but Jalana had learned to appreciate history of civilisations. Even though she didn't know too much about many of them.

C. Laxyn: Do you remember when we were on Durin VI, these remind me of the temples there, but it looks different, simpler but just as meaningful.

V. Laxyn: I know what you mean. I remember you saying you wish the kids could see it.

Jalana chuckled, of course she would say that.

C. Laxyn: Speaking of, wouldn't it be nice if this lovely fella could see it.. what's his name again. Jeral... no... Oh Jerome!

As soon as her mother said 'lovely fella' Jalana knew what she would ask. She clenched her teeth. Why did her mother have to ask? Couldn't she be happy with just her being here? The younger Trill pressed her lips together and dug her fingernails into her palm. .oO They don't know. Remember they don't know. Oo.

V. Laxyn: Yes. Where is he, Jal?

They were curious, genuine, not trying to hit that spot that already hurt. After all, they didn't know about that and had been supportive of their relationship ever since they had known. Caline had always said how nice it would be to meet him. But she had tried to forget about his absence just for a few days. She'd be reminded of that back on the ship around every corner but this here was a planet where he'd never been with her. Where nothing made her remember.

It took a few moments -though the silence felt like a small eternity- before Jalana found her voice again after she silently cleared her throat. Her eyes remained on the walls though, hiding that things had gotten just a little blurry.

Rajel: He has family things to take care of. He'll be sad to hear he missed your visit.

Prax watched his sister from the other side of the room. It was quite possible that he didn't know her well, but he wasn't blind. Their parents may have been distracted by the surroundings but he could feel that awkward air around her. He noticed that tense chin, the stressed shoulders. His gaze flicked to his parents and then stepped to her.

P. Laxyn: Hey sis, you should see this. ::calling over his shoulder:: We'll be back.

Jalana looked at him in surprise as he grabbed her hand and pulled her with him. The sound of rubble was under her boots and only shortly after changed to slightly squishy soil. He had lead her to an area only a few steps away but the plants were huge and vividly green, dotted with colorful petals.

Rajel: It's pretty.

P. Laxyn: Even prettier is the silence. Don't you think. ::He looked to her and let go of her hand before he sat on a fallen log.:: You looked like you could do without the prying questions.

Jalana took a deep breath and sat next to him.

Rajel: Thanks. ::she bit her bottom lip and let her eyes wander over the leaves of a nearby plant. Their length was more than her whole body. Impressive.:: How have you been doing?

P. Laxyn: ::shrugging:: Okay. Finished my studies, designed buildings. The usual.

Rajel: ::smiling:: I heard... saw pictures of your first one. Alex's brother also knows it, and I agree it's impressive. ::She looked to her little brother.:: You've come far.

P. Laxyn: ::laughing:: Look who's talking Miss Commodore. Having your own ship with over a thousand people on it flying through the galaxy and all that is impressive too.

She felt her cheeks warm up and looked down to the tip of her boots.

Rajel: I guess.

P. Laxyn: I know I got you away from the questions but... is everything alright with that Jerome guy?

The older Trill took a deep breath, the net surrounding her head was slightly bent towards her mouth before being pushed out when she exhaled.

Rajel: I'm not sure to be honest.

P. Laxyn: That doesn't sound good. What's wrong.

Rajel: Nothing really wrong. ::A one sided smile:: He really is taking care of family business. But... ::She hesitated.:: ... it's been two years by now. And the messages get less and less.

There was a silence between them, one of thinking on both sides.

P. Laxyn: Must be hard. When did you hear from him last?

Rajel: Phew... a month or two ago?

The younger man's brows raised as he regarded her with big eyes.

P. Laxyn: He didn't check on you after the Court Martial?

Rajel: I'm sure he was busy. Priorities change or need to be adjusted.

P. Laxyn: Jal. ::He said gently::

With a sigh she slumped over, placing her elbows on her knees.

Rajel: I know. I kept thinking about it. He is helping his brother to raise a child, ironing out his brother's mess and such, he might just not have seen the news or my messages. But it feels... lonely.

P. Laxyn: Well you have to know what you want to do. But you deserve to be happy and have someone to stand by your side when things are getting hard.

Jalana stared thoughtfully some holes into the ground before them. It was strange to get advice from her little brother, especially since they had never been close. But it was also nice.

Rajel: What about you? Got someone to stand with you?

Another long moment of silence. She wondered if she had hit a wound she didn't know about but eventually he smiled.

P. Laxyn: Yeah. His name is Weyan. We were roomates when we studied Archeology and went into business together after and well...

Rajel: ::Grinning:: Really? That's great. Has he met mom and dad?

P. Laxyn: Yes but they don't know we're together.

Rajel: Why that?

P. Laxyn: You know mom. She would be making this huge deal out of it, be overbearing and want to see us all the time, already planning a wedding and names for our children.

Rajel: You have to tell them one day.

P. Laxyn: Maybe a minute before the wedding. Just so we can do our own thing.

Rajel: ::laughing:: You have strange confidence in believing she can't organize a massive family event in a minute.

They laughed. That sounded very much like their mother. Jalana couldn't remember ever even imagining that she'd have a chat like that with Prax.

P. Laxyn: This is nice. We should have done this years ago.

Rajel: I was thinking the same thing. Why didn't we?

P. Laxyn: Petty jealousy? ::He gave her a smirk.:: You got all of dad's attention back then. It was hard to deal with as a kid.

Jalana looked at him, her brows raised in surprise.

Rajel: Really? I wish he had given it to you. I was always jealous that you could do what you wanted and had friends while I had to do all this diplomacy training. It isn't as much fun as it sounds to be homeschooled and spend all my time with dad, Ilur and a bunch of diplomats.

P. Laxyn: I know that now. But back then it just felt different. I'm glad that you got away and could follow your own dream. After all those years it was just ...

Rajel: Embarrassing to admit?

Both of them chuckled. Prax rubbed the back of his neck, Jalana looked at the tip of her shoes. She couldn't really do the same thing with that beekeeper suit, as Prax had called it.

Rajel: It'll take some time to catch up I guess.

P. Laxyn: But at least we got the past out of the way now. That makes it easier. ::He looked past her to the ruins.:: Ready to head back?

Jalana nodded and pushed herself off the log, holding out her hand towards her brother. It would take work, after all they didn't really know much of each other. But it was a start, a pretty darn good one.

-----
Commodore Jalana Rajel
Commanding Officer
USS Constitution B