Ensign Choi Ji-hu - The Wrong End of Her Wrath

Michael Lyons

Apr 1, 2017, 3:44:27 PM4/1/17
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: This is totally my excuse to go full cyberpunk Choi. I apologize in advance.))

Choi: Lieutenant McLaren! I think you should see this!

McLaren: What do you have, Ensign?

Choi: Computer, read report: Ohan.

Computer: Illegal Substance Profile: Ohan, a plant native to Leron IV of the Leron System. This psychoactive drug is used recreationally among the Linara, who chew ohan leaves. Psychoactive properties induce increased empathy, euphoria, and heightened sensations. Restricted aboard Starfleet operations.

McLaren: Well that sounds... relaxing... and dangerous. Any side effects associated with it?

Choi: One second, Lieutenant. Adverse effects?

Computer: The ohan leaves produce adverse effects when eaten whole and metabolized, even at low dosages. Symptoms include hyperthermia, significant dehydration, mild tachycardia and related illnesses. Long term effects have not been studied, but could include cognitive impairment and brain lesions.

McLaren: Well, that sounds similar to what we are experiencing... but wouldn’t someone realize they had ingested it?

Choi: Sorry, Lieutenant. Computer… um… taste profile comparison with purchases made by Lieutenant Blackwell on Starbase 104.

Computer: Ohan leaves have a mild bitter taste when chewed, comparable to three edible, non-poisonous plant products purchased by Lieutenant Blackwell aboard Starbase 104.

Choi: Ma’am, has anybody reported this yet?

McLaren: I don’t think so.

Choi: Do you think this is what could be causing illnesses?

::A mass poisoning… it wouldn’t take much to sneak ohan into otherwise harmless food. It’d make for one deadly salad.::

McLaren: It’s possible. Make sure Chelin and his team have this information. Good work, Ensign. :: McLaren tapped her comm badge as she stepped away from the console. =/\= McLaren to Ch'Gabor. =/\=

::Ji-hu’s hands were already flying across the console, compiling the information into a succinct report, while bringing up a directory.::

Choi: Computer, record message to transmit to Starfleet officers Ch'Gabor, Blackwell, Foster… ::his mind drew a blank before he remembered the multiple Fosters:: Shar’Wyn and Cade, Kojat, and make the report available to all other divisions.

Computer: Acknowledged. Recording message.

Choi: =/\= This is Ensign Choi of the USS Constitution. We are exploring the possibility that the breakout of illnesses may be linked to intentional lacing of Starbase edible greens with ohan leaf, a psychoactive drug that is poisonous if consumed whole. I’m attaching a report with distribution simulations. Choi out. =/\=

((REPORT: Ohan is a plant native to Leron IV of the Leron System. This psychoactive drug is used recreationally among the Linara, who chew ohan leaves to release the leaf’s empathogenic properties. Psychoactive properties induce increased empathy, euphoria, and heightened sensations. The ohan leaves produce adverse effects when eaten whole and metabolized, even at low dosages. Symptoms include hyperthermia, dehydration, tachycardia and related illnesses. Long term effects could include cognitive impairment and brain lesions. Ohan leaves have a mild bitter taste when chewed, comparable to edible, non-poisonous plant products widely available.))

Computer: Transmitting.

::Ji-hu stood back, admiring his work as the computer transmitted the report. He smiled to himself, he may have screwed up royally out on the Starbase, but behind a computer console he felt invincible. Which gave him an idea…::

::He checked on the status of the engineering teams, including Sindri and Wynter, then approached Lieutenant McLaren once again, who was finishing up a comm conversation with Lieutenant Ch’Gabor.::

Choi: Lieutenant, I’m s-s-sorry to bother you again…

McLaren: response

Choi: Of course, m-ma’am. I had an idea about finding out who d-did this… if it was actually ohan leaves. ::he took a deep breath:: I’d like your permission to partition a computer console and connect it to the station’s blackNET. ::he paused, then plunged on with his explanation:: blackNET is the Network Hidden Service Protocol that can only be accessed with special software or configurations or authorization to access…

McLaren: response

Choi: Of course, ma’am… I didn’t want to a-a-assume. I could target the sites used to sell illegal m-m-merchandise on the station and make myself the directory they have to go through that assigns them their anonymity… it's actually surprisingly easy. Then I’d just have to pose as a user putting out a couple of discrete calls for ohan leaves and see if anyone answers. That at least lets us know who has access to the drugs on the station.

McLaren: response

Choi: ::blushing:: I… uh… had some friends in high school who sold programs on blackNET back on Earth… ::he cleared his throat:: I’d of course keep a full log of my activities to provide to yourself and security.

::He rolled his eyes internally. Not that most Starfleet security officers would know a Hidden Services directory from their own back end, although he felt wary under McLaren's scrutinizing gaze. He got the impression that it would not be healthy to be on the wrong end of her wrath.::

McLaren: response

tags/tbc

*****

Ensign Choi Ji-hu