Cmdr Ben Livingston, "The Best Part of the Job" (Tag ALL)

Will Maurer

Sep 17, 2014, 10:00:30 PM9/17/14
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com
((Holodeck 121, Starbase 118))

::With everyone assembled here, in the Jurassic period, Ben decided
that the time had come for the little thing he'd alluded to when
speaking to Lieutenant Kolk. Breaking away from his conversation, Ben
strode up the gentle slope to what was the true peak of the hill
overlooking the river valley below. He took a moment, standing there,
to take in the sights and sounds. There were before him giant
herbivores that had not actually walked the earth in millions of
years, but these were not the creatures that fascinated him. He was
able to visit with dinosaurs any time he wanted by simply calling up
this program on the holodeck. What had Ben's attention now were the
officers enjoying that scene - these were the officers who he wanted
to reward with an evening of relaxation. He wanted to give them more
than that, though; they deserved more. He wanted them to know that,
despite all the complexity of their last mission, they'd done their
jobs well.::

Livingston: Computer, add dais.

::Before him, the short dais he'd added to the program appeared.
Quickly scaling the two steps up to the raised platform, he called for
everyone's attention and waited a moment to begin, producing as he
waited a small wooden box.::

Livingston: I hope everyone is enjoying themselves tonight. The
evening isn't over, of course, but I did want to take a few minutes to
recognize the service that has been done for the Federation by this
crew. Ensign Kizito, Lieutenant Cross, and Commander Brek, please
join me on the dais.

::He watched them and the other officers as the three climbed up.::

Livingston: These officers were part of the away team on our last
mission. Through their efforts - and quick thinking - The Federation
has, in essence, rediscovered a world it had not known was missing.
But the outward appearance of Avronis hides many secrets. We've only
just begun to learn what happened, or is happening, on the surface,
but the only reason we know any of it is the work of these officers.
For this, Ensign Kizito, First Lieutenant Cross, and Lieutenant
Commander Brek are awarded the Explorer's Ribbon. Congratulations to
all of you.

::Removing each of three small ribbons from the lacquered box, he
handed one to each in turn, offering a quiet congratulation and
shaking their hands as he did so.::

Cross/Kiziton/Brek: response

::As they stepped down, Ben spoke again.::

Livingston: Ensign Kizito, if you'll remain a moment longer. ::To the
crowd:: Ensign Kizito personally distinguished himself by completing a
mission while under duress. His passion for learning about the planet
and his instincts reveal him to be a highly capable officer. ::Pulling
forth a black pip from the box, he stepped in toward the ensign and
placed the new pip on his collar.:: Congratulations, Lieutenant
Kizito.

Kizito: response

::Ben nodded and the man stepped down. He had a few more people to get
through, so he continued on.::

Livingston: Would Ensigns Connory and Riverview and Commander Brice
please step forward.

::He had a short wait as they joined him on the dais. Once they were
standing next to him, he continued.::

Livingston: The officers beside me did not visit the planet's surface.
However, they still held a crucial role during that operation: in
performing their duty on the bridge, they ensured the safety of the
away team and orchestrated their expeditious return. They also
contributed to the analysis and understanding of planetary scans and
analysis of the away team's data. For their contributions, Ensign
Connory, Ensign Riverview, and Commander Brice are also awarded the
Explorer's Ribbon.

::Again, he stepped up to each officer in turn. Though he had not
worked closely with any of them prior to this mission, he felt now as
though they had earned an unshakable trust from their peers. He could
not help but smile as he awarded each their ribbon.::

Connory/Riverview/Brice: response

Livingston: Now, if Ensign Tatash and Lieutenant Washburn would
approach. ::Waiting a moment for them to arrive, he continued.:: In
addition to the work that Ensign Tatash and Lieutenant Washburn did to
discover new information about Avronis, these officers took part in a
... daring ... rescue attempt. In doing so, they saved the lives of our
fellow officers. Therefore, you are each awarded the Explorer's Ribbon
as well as the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

::Removing from the box the appropriate ribbons one at a time, he
stepped forward and gingerly handed each to their respective
recipients, smiling privately to each as they shook hands.::

Tatash/Washburn: response

Livingston: Congratulations, again. Now, Lieutenant Silveira, please
step forward.

::As Sil approached, Ben tried his best to keep a stone-like face. The
man had been his friend for practically as long as he'd served in
StarFleet. He hadn't deserved - in Ben's view - half the flak he'd
taken after their last mission on Excalibur. Yet, despite it, Sil had
always tried to execute his duties to the best of his abilities.::

Livingston: Lieutenant Silveira and Lieutenant Taybrim, please come forward.

::As he did so, Ben set aside his small, polished box and picked up a
second; such was the skill and valor of the officers here that he
needed more than one box!::

Livingston: Lieutenant Silveira contributed to the successful
exploration of this planet in much the same way as some other
officers; for that, he is awarded the Explorer's Ribbon. Beyond that,
however, Lieutenant, Junior Grade Vitor Silveira executed faithfully
the duties of a Tactical Officer on the bridge in a time of crisis. By
being at the ready and able to perform difficult actions, Vitor
Silveira showed himself to be, in many ways, a model officer. ::With
that phrase he paused and offered his friend a smile.:: In recognition
of that fact, I am pleased to restore to you the rank of Full
Lieutenant. Congratulations.

::Pulling forth a gleaming golden pip, Ben carefully removed the black
pip on Vitor's collar and replaced it with one signifying his newly
regained rank. Then, taking a step back, he gladly extended a hand for
Vitor to shake.::

Silveira: response

::Now it was time to move on to Sal.::

Livingston: Sal Taybrim, too, contributed greatly to our understanding
of this world, both by adding to our scientific understanding of data
captured by our scans as well as by helping to give us room to work
politically, keeping the situation well in hand with the Romulan
administrative base. For this work, Lieutenant Taybrim is awarded the
Explorer's ribbon.

::Extending a hand, Ben shook Sal's as he handed him the ribbon
signifying his service.::

Taybrim: response

Livingston: Beyond this, Lieutenant, I am very pleased to bestow upon
you the rank of Lieutenant Commander, in recognition of your
outstanding achievements and your commitment to StarFleet. Very well
done, Lieutenant Commander Sal Taybrim!

::Again, Ben reached into the box and removed a pip. Adding this new,
black pip next to Sal's own rank insignia, he clapped the Science
Officer on the shoulder and shook his hand.::

Taybrim: response

::Ben nodded with a smile in response. Allowing both to return to the
crowd, he turned again to face everyone present.::

Livingston: So thank you, to everyone, for your efforts on this
mission. Parts of it feel more mysterious to me now than when we
started. If you feel similarly, know that you are not alone in it. I
think this is often the case in exploration, a sad fact to get used
to. Yet, we have also done a great deal for that planet and its
long-term recovery; whatever questions remain, we have accomplished a
great deal. ::Pausing for a moment, he took a sip of water before
continuing.:: Now - feel free to enjoy the view in the holodeck - the
night is young, and the drinks are still flowing. I've already
received word from StarFleet Command of an urgent mission, but we
still have some time on 118 due to some logistical implications. So
enjoy the promenade and all the starbase has to offer, and I'll see
you back on Columbia before long. Enjoy!

::Jumping down from the platform, he smiled at the officers who now
stood before him. What a night it was for him; this, truly, was the
best part of his job.::

-----

Commander Ben Livingston
Commanding Officer