Cmdr Ben Livingston, "A Diplomatic Approach" (Drake, Taybrim)

Will Maurer

Sep 18, 2014, 11:49:29 PM9/18/14
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com
((Holodeck 121, Starbase 118))

::Stepping down from the make-shift stage was a relief. Ben commanded
it to disappear, opening up the grassy hillside once again. Time had
gone on for a while as they'd gone through the ceremony; now the sun
was getting lower in the sky. Ben took a moment to pour himself
another coffee from the table of drinks; the cup steamed upward into
the cooling air as he sipped it.::

::It felt good to look out among his officers and friends, seeing in
them all the work and effort they'd put forth during the last mission.
He had already received some brief information about their next
mission, and from what he could tell, it would be nothing like the
last. In fact, it sounded rather like they had given them a job that
would test their patience as much as this one had tested their quick
thinking. It meant, based on what he'd seen, that he needed to make a
few changes.::

::Across the open hilltop, Ben spotted their new Medical Officer and
approached him.::

Livingston: Doctor Drake, I'm glad you were able to join us here tonight.

Drake: response

::Extending a hand, Ben shook the doctor's. As he listened to him
speak, he got the idea that this man was going to be a welcome
addition to the crew. There seemed to be something peaceful in his
manner of speech, something confident, and something that implied that
he brought an experience that belied his rank.::

Livingston: Well I hope you find sickbay to your liking. I think
you'll stay quite busy, there, but you're always welcome on the
bridge, as well. Come to think of it, there are some medical exams due
already; Lieutenant Kolk needs to be cleared for duty, and Ensign
Tatash is off-duty for a few days. I'd certainly appreciate you giving
your opinion.

Drake: response

Livingston: I hope you do. Please let me know what you need. ::He
paused, the "shop talk" coming to a fairly natural end. He had a
sudden curiosity about the man brought on by the way he held
himself.:: Doctor, what do you like to do in your off-time?

Drake: response

::He shrugged in response. He wasn't sure what exactly he'd thought.
It was just a sudden, inexplicable curiosity. The man seemed to be an
interesting one, and Ben wanted to know what made him so
interesting.::

Livingston: I wouldn't have expected it, but to be sure, I'm often
surprised by StarFleet officers.

Drake: response

((OOC - Will continue here as needed!))

::Ben excused himself and took another gulp of coffee as he spotted
Sal opening up in conversation. There was a man he had to speak with.
Approaching him from behind, he tapped him on the shoulder.::

Livingston: How are you, Commander?

::Emphasizing the final word, he gave a wry smile and took a sip of coffee.::

Taybrim: response

Livingston: Walk with me.

::Ben executed a gentle turn that brought him down one of the sloping
hillsides toward the river. Across it stood those great beasts, still
working their way slowly along the bank. One stepped cautiously into
the river; after an initial scare, it continued headlong into the
deepening water until only its long neck was exposed. Together, they
walked in silence for a moment.::

Taybrim: response

Livingston: We've gotten a new science officer, you know.

Taybrim: response

Livingston: That's right. I know there are a couple strong
personalities there. Along with the potential to butt heads. I think
you understand who I mean.

Taybrim: response

::Ben nodded silently and sipped his coffee. Stopping for a moment to
look down at the river was the only way he managed to keep from
looking at Sal.

Livingston: No, it's not what you're thinking. I want to ask you to
take a big step. It's a step outside your comfort zone, I think, but
you'd be a good fit. I need you as my Chief Diplomatic Officer.

Taybrim: response

::He hadn't been sure what to expect with this request; whatever it
was, he had expected something middle-of-the-road from the
even-tempered, mild mannered, and always straightforward Science
Officer.::

((OOC - Take this where you will!))

-----

Commander Ben Livingston