Ensign James Colquhoun - Truly Scholastic Endeavors (Columbia)

Dustin Kirkpatrick

Mar 9, 2019, 11:50:09 AM3/9/19
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

((Bridge - Deck 1, USS Columbia))

((Time Index: Several Weeks After The Awards Ceremony.))

:: The trip to Losaria was relatively quiet for the Tactical Station, reports of the interval sweeps reporting nothing of tactical interest being passed on to each oncoming officer.  This downtime meant mostly trying to make improvements to systems, performing regular upkeep, and debugging little blips as they came along. However, this shift would be different. They were expected to be arriving at Losaria any moment now. ::

:: James did not expect anything to jump out at them, but gathering intelligence on the planet as they ran non-invasive scans would be at least a change of pace.  The sensors started to show a large object coming up, it matched the size of their planet destination, with two other planets showing up nearby. He grinned in anticipation. ::

Duyzer: We're in visual range. ::as professional as he could manage in his hype::

:: The blue marble grew quickly as clouds became visible. Underneath the clouds, it was filled with lights coming from every part of the planet. The planet seemed to be entirely filled with cities. This truly looked like a capital of a galactic commonwealth. Not long after two of three planets appeared on the screen, a pinkish gas-planet and another grey rock that looked more like a big asteroid. ::

:: The captain rose from his chair and stepped over to the navigation console the Andorian was sitting at. He put his hand on Jona's shoulder and admired the beauty. ::

Whittaker: Excellently done, Lieutenant. ::he said approvingly, looking down at the young chen before he looked back at the orb of Losaria on the viewscreen.:: Impressive, is it not? ::he said to nobody in particular.:: An entire city spanning the entire planet…. a true modern day wonder of the cosmos. ::he grinned.::

Any: ?

:: His console lit up with information, but he forgot about it for a second.  No alarms or claxons meant he could just take in the moment. They came in at an angle showing the divide between day and night, the city-world on the daylight side was something, but the nighttime side was spectacular.  Lights blazed out across the planet as far as could be seen before the horizon dipped away from the Columbia. ::

Duyzer: I am reading at least twelve different species, sir. ::beat:: I could give you a population number, but can't promise you that that wouldn't overload the sensors. ::grinning::

:: Pholin’s pronouncement brought him back to his sense, he started to look through the tactical readout. ::

Colquhoun: Two of the moons both report similar numbers of species and some population density, the last moon appears largely uninhabited.

Any: ?

:: The bridge crew kept staring at the planet, everyone presumably trying to grasp just how such a city worked. The captain broke their stares, however, as he turned to the first officer. ::

Whittaker: What do you to rewarding the crew for their hard work lately with a spot of shore leave, Commander Thoran?

Thoran: ?

Any: ?

:: James nodded in agreement.  It would be nice to stand down and put some hard work into his paper.  He would also like to get in contact with Losarian scholarship to discuss exchanging philosophical texts.  New research was always interesting. ::

Haneer: We’re receiving instructions from the Imperial Palace, Captain. The Royal Court will receive you at 2000 Hours.

:: He was secretly kind of glad he did not have that duty.  Though it would be exciting, he was glad to not have to jump through any more hoops than necessary. ::

Whittaker: I suppose I make sure that my dress uniform still fits. ::he said with a chuckle.:: Commander Ezo, Ambassador Nicholotti- shall we go over royal protocols?

Ezo/Nicholotti: ?

Colquhoun: oO Like those. Oo

Whittaker: Excellent. ::he smiled at them appreciatively and then looked to Jarred.:: Number One- you have the bridge. Please ensure that the crew are all rotated to the planet for shore leave.

Thoran: ?

:: The captain along with Ambassador Nicholotti and Commander Ezo left the bridge as Commander Thoran moved himself to the center chair. As Thoran sat down, Pholin stayed standing, it seemed he wanted to be the first to get his request in. ::

Duyzer: So... ::beat:: Do you have anyone in mind to go to the planet first? The science department has a lot planned, so if we could get started right away... ::he smiled cheesily::

Thoran: ?

:: From his vantage point behind Commander Thoran, he could see requests coming in. ::

Colquhoun: oO Clever to ask to his face. Oo ::He nodded a silent acknowledgement to the tactic. ::

Colquhoun: Ah, I hate to piggyback on his request, sir.  ::He gave a bashful grin.:: I’ve been reading through some of their philosophical literature and wouldn’t mind being able contacting their scholastic programs.  You know, the exchange of ideas and all… ::He trailed off, hoping Thoran would allow the point to “prove” itself.::

Thoran: ?

Any: ?

Ensign James Colquhoun

Tactical Officer