Commander Jarred Thoran - Your Attention Please Part Two

Richard Cade

Sep 22, 2020, 2:30:54 PM9/22/20
to USS Chin'toka – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Officer's Mess, Deck 11, USS Chin’toka))

((Time Index: Day 27 of Shoreleave - Early Evening))

With that the raven haired half-Romulan wandered off, once again leaving Jarred alone with his thoughts. From the corner of his eye he spotted a figure in the white dress uniform moving around near the band and his stomach turned as he noticed the two thick scarlet bands located at the end of her sleeves, a single solid boxed pip barely visible on her collar. A moment later and the petite toffee haired woman cleared her throat, drawing eyes from around the room.

RAdm. Kove: It is a great pleasure to be here with you aboard the USS Chin’toka today. Let me start by thanking you all for your tremendous work in the Par’tha Expanse. I know it has not always been easy and your efforts have been appreciated by Starfleet Command, the Federation Council and the residents of the Par’tha Expanse.

RAdm. Kove: Thank you all once again for your service to the Federation and it’s ideals. Now please join me in welcoming the Chin’toka’s commanding officer, Commander Jarred Thoran.

His stomach was doing somersaults as the attention turned towards him. He was glad that his thick beard helped to hide his cheeks which were beginning to warm up. He made his way through the crowd to where the admiral stood.

Thoran: Thank you Admiral. ::Turning his attention to the crowd.:: And thank you to you all for taking time out of your schedules to join us. Although we are here to celebrate, I would like to take a moment to pause to reflect on the events of the past, of the sacrifices and loss that we have experienced. To the twenty seven members of the Atlantis who lost their lives. To friends and colleagues who nade the ultimate sacrifice.

Jarred paused for a few moments, casting his eyes around the room at the sombre faces, before settling on Serala. Like him, she had lost someone dear to him, although her circumstances had been far worse. Her loss had left her a widow, her daughter an orphan.

Thoran: As the first generation of officers and crew to form this ship’s company you have a special privilege and responsibility. You will be setting the standard for those who come after you. Decades from now, wherever your careers take you, you will be able to look back on this time with pride. Without you the Chin’toka is simply a hull, you are what breathes life into the ship.

Thoran: You should be proud of the Chin’toka and what it represents. Your assignment to the Par’tha Expanse sends a clear signal to those who doubt our presence there and forges a new positive, confident role for Starfleet for years to come and that we are determined to remain fully engaged with our allies in the region.

One of the servers handed Jarred a glass with a tall tapered conical shape filled with a fizzing liquid. He waited a moment as other servers scurried around the crowd, handing out drinks to any who did not have any. Once everyone had a glass, Jarred raised his.

Thoran: Wherever the Chin’toka may find herself, may she acquit herself with honour and return safely home. I wish you all fair winds and following seas.

Jarred took a sip of the bubbly liquid, musing on the phrase. It was an antiquated phrase from old Earth that sailors used to wish good luck on a journey.

Any: Response

Thoran: Before I continue, I would like to officially welcome some new faces to the Chin’toka. Please join me in welcoming Lieutenant Noa T'Nessa Levinson, Ensign Varik Tal’Aura and Ensign Paros. I am delighted to have you with us and am very much looking forward to working you.

Levinson / Tal’Aura / Paros: Response

Any: Response

Thoran: I would also like to take this opportunity to announce a few personnel changes. Firstly, Lieutenant Commander Raga has been selected to head the Strategic Operational Response Team, supported by Lieutenant McKnight and Lieutenant Logan who will be stepping out of their green collars. Further details on the team’s mandate will follow in due course.

Any: Response

Thoran: Please could Lieutenant Esa Kiax, Lieutenant Kurt Logan and Lieutenant Ishkabella Journs join me.

Jarred watched as the two officers made their way through the crowd. A wooden box had been strategically placed near one of the band’s chairs, and Jarred crouched down, retrieving two rosewood boxes from within.

Thoran: During my time as your commanding officer I have been continually impressed by your dedication and commitment. Time and time again you have displayed Starfleet’s values and standards. It is my honour to promote you all to Lieutenant Commander, with all of the rights and responsibilities therein. Congratulations Commanders.

He handed one of the boxes to Kurt, offering his hand as he did so. Kurt had been a stalwart member of the Atlantis’ crew, the pair had even served together during Jarred’s first posting. Much like when he promoted Anath - with Theo’s blessing - he was proud to promote Kurt.

Logan: Response

Next he moved along to Ishka, repeating the process. Being a medical officer on a ship like the Atlantis was no easy task, but Ishka had taken on the task with no complaints. Anath had even written a glowing recommendation for the Al-Leyan doctor.

Journs: Response

Last up was Esa. She had proven herself an extremely capable Operations Officer and Jarred had been particularly impressed with her ingenuity. She was certainly one to watch.

Thoran: Commander Kiax, you have been a tour de force in the Operations Department. For your dedication to the department, you are as of this moment promoted to Chief of Operations. Congratulations.

Kiax: Response

Any: Response

Jarred waited for the applause to die down before continuing.

Thoran: Ensign Lephi, Ensign Elizabeth Snow and Ensign Thalas th’Koro please join me.

The three were still relatively new to the Atlantis, but had dived straight in, each of them proving themselves as fine Starfleet officers. Once they were front and centre, Jarred continued.

Thoran: In the short time you have been aboard the Atlantis you have never failed to impress, despite some minor setbacks. ::He looked to Lephi and Snow, the edges of his lips curling into a faint smile.:: You are hereby promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade with all of the rights and responsibilities therein. Congratulations Lieutenants.

Jarred went along the line, handing each of the officers a small rosewood box containing a single hollow pip. It was a moment that he hoped they would treasure for the rest of their careers. There was something particularly special about that first promotion and he was honoured to be the one to present them with their pip.

Lephi / Snow / th’Koro: Response

Any: Response

Thoran: Not so fast Lieutenant Lephi and Lieutenant Snow. Both of you have shown a particular aptitude in your departments and have received many glowing reports from your senior officers. To the end, Lieutenant Lephi you are hereby promoted to Assistant Chief Engineer and Lieutenant Snow you are hereby promoted to Assistant Chief Medical Officer. Congratulations to you both.

Lephi / Snow: Response

Any: Response

Commander Jarred Thoran
Commanding Officer, USS Chin'toka NCC-97187
A239405JT0

Find us on: