Commander Jarred Thoran - The Return

Jarred Thoran

Sep 23, 2019, 9:55:38 AM9/23/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Atlantis
// Captains Log, stardate 239609.23

Long range sensors have detected a large number of tetryon particles in the Paldor System. Unconfirmed reports indicate that the particles are a result of the missing Chon outpost, known as Deep Space Twenty Six emerging from subspace.

As the fastest ship in the flotilla, I have ordered the Atlantis to break away and set a course for the system to investigate. The remainder of the flotilla will follow behind, but will likely be delayed to due limited warp travel in the region. //

((Bridge, Deck 1, USS Atlantis))

Having now caught up with all his paperwork, Jarred rose from his chair, stretched and made his way onto the bridge. There was a small amount of chatter, which ceased as he stepped out of his ready room, a few of the crew glancing over.

He nodded towards them as he walked over and took his seat. The Atlantis’ bridge had what Jarred considered a more modern and utilitarian design that the Columbia’s, which had seemed designed for comfort. He looked to the screen, watching as distant stars zipped past them as the Atlantis sped towards its destination.

Thoran: Report Number One.

During shore leave he’d taken every opportunity to get to know his new crew, including his new right hand. Commander Williams had served with Starfleet for a number of years, and like Jarred was a former Security and Tactical Officer, although Alex had taken a different route, with more of a focus on Tactical, whereas Jarred had gone Security. Williams was a highly experienced first officer, and Jarred was looking forward to working with and getting to know the man.

Williams: Response

Once again he turned his attention past the Rodulan helmsman to the viewscreen. She was the second Rodulan he had served with, the last being Merrick R’Ven. Due to his busy schedule during shore leave he had only briefly interacted with the helmsman, but having reviewed her file she seemed a very capable pilot and officer. He knew the Atlantis was capable of landing on a planet, and wondered whether Trelixxa had yet undertaken such a feat, recalling the time Jona ch’Ranni had taken the Columbia into the atmosphere of planet in their rescue of Captain Whittaker.

Maeli: Response

His gaze flitted across to the viewscreen just in time to see the stars streaking past them begin to slow. He could feel a gentle shuddering in the deck plating as the Atlantis dropped out of warp. He rose from the chair and took a few steps towards the viewscreen, stunned by what he was seeing.

High above the planet, in what would be considered the exosphere, hung the former Chon outpost that he recognised from his previous time in the Expanse. He didn’t have to be a scientist to notice how dangerously close to the planet it was, a fact confirmed a moment later.

Maeli: Response

Thoran: Open the channel.

The comm crackled to life as a soft, but authoritative female voice sounded across the bridge.

Rolus: This is High Prefect Arielle Rolus Governor of the Paldor System, to the Federation vessel. Please state your reason for violating House Larokon space.

Jarred returned to his chair and tapped on the arm mounted display. Lieutenant Commander Sorra had already ran a scan of the surface and it was not looking good. He cleared his throat before responding to the Caraadian woman.

Thoran: This is Commander Jarred Thoran of the Federation starship Atlantis. We detected a large amount of tetryon particles and decided to investigate. We are ready to provide any assistance we can.

Rolus: Your assistance would be appreciated Commander. It seems whatever that thing is, it is causing huge amounts of disruption to my planet.

He was about to respond, when the comm crackled and went quiet. He turned around to face the bearded man beside, finding it almost like looking in a mirror.

Thoran: Number one, I want all the available information on that planet and station. ::He pressed a button on his display, opening a channel to the ship.:: =/\= Commander Thoran to all senior staff. Report to the Observation Lounge in ten minutes. =/\=.

Williams: Response

((Timeskip))

((Observation Lounge, Deck 1))

With all of the members of the senior staff now having made their way to the briefing room, Jarred took his seat. He could feel his stomach twisting in knots with nerves. This was his first briefing as captain of the Atlantis and he hoped he’d prepared himself fully.

Thoran: As you are no doubt aware, Deep Space Twenty Six has now emerged from subspace. Unfortunately it is in close proximity to Paldor II and is causing huge geological instabilities across the planet. It is in a decaying orbit, and if it ends up entering the atmosphere the results will be catastrophic, likely detonating and causing the world to be uninhabitable.

He paused allowing his words to sink in, and for any of the staff to make notes before he continued. At the moment he wasn’t quite sure what they were going to do about the station, but he was confident with such a capable crew they would figure it out.

Thoran: It looks like the station suffered serious damage during the transit. Current estimates put the population of the station around eight thousand three hundred.

Any: Response

Thoran: Commander Raga, you will go with Lieutenants Dermont, Hyden, Journs and Knight to the surface. Provide assistance to the population and begin preparations to receive evacuees from the station.

Raga: Response

Dermont: Response

Hyden: Response

Journs: Response

Knight: Response

He twisted around to face the half Romulan Tactical Chief. The light caught her jet black hair, giving it a momentary shine. He had been looking forward to seeing how the Commander handled herself, and he believed he had the perfect opportunity to see her in action.

Thoran: Commander Serala i’d like for you to take a team to the station. Find out just how bad things are there and see about getting the personnel off the station. Lieutenant Kiax, you’ll join her along with Captains McKnight and Logan. I’d advise taking a marine contingent along.

Serala: Response

Kiax: Response

McKnight: Response

Logan: Response

With two of the teams assigned, it was now time to dish out the task of the third team. He was saddened that he wouldn’t get the opportunity to join the others on their away missions. That was one of the unfortunate realities of command. Starfleet didn’t seem to like their commanding officers putting themselves in unnecessary danger. Whilst he could agree with their reasoning, in principal he didn’t agree. A commanding officer should be there amongst their crew, not sitting back in relative safety.

Thoran: Commander Williams and I will remain aboard the Atlantis and figure out how we can prevent the station from crashing into the surface. Lieutenants Kiliak and Maeli, your assistance in that would be invaluable.

Williams: Response

Kiliak: Response

Maeli: Response

Thoran: Preparations will begin immediately and I hope to have both teams in position within the hour. Although time is of the essence, I would recommend shuttles are used. Questions?

Any: Response

Thoran: Good. I think that concludes everything. Let’s get to work.

He sat for a moment, watching as the staff shuffled out of the room. Once he was alone, he sagged forwards onto the table and let out a heavy sigh. That had been the easy part. The hard part would to prevent a space station from crashing into a planet.

Commander Jarred Thoran
Commanding Officer, USS Atlantis NCC-74682
A239405JT0

Find us on: